Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16581 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2009 10:23 AM by euphoric RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Dec 26, 2008 8:29 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - December

Getting rid of some Christmas calories 20 miler this morning.  Pace a bit slow but thankful for a group to put some miles in with.  Locked my key in the truck so now am headed back to get it.  Haven't done that in a  long long time.  duh

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    121. Dec 26, 2008 9:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

4.6 slow at the park.  Same run tomorrow gives me 30 for the week.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    122. Dec 26, 2008 11:47 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hope everyone's Christmas was all you'd hoped for, time with family is special.

Friday,

8 miles of XC skiing today. The trail's hard from the rain and re-freeze our weather dealt us. It hurts like crazy to fall on the stuff and 7 miles into the workout I hadn't fallen once. Then I heard a snow machine coming and in an attempt to side step to get out of his way, I did a perfect face plant. Sometimes I wonder what normal people do in their spare time...

ks, 20 milers this time of year is awesome.

Euph, I was going to ask what you had for dinner, but you edited your post...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    123. Dec 26, 2008 4:55 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, we had the same thing re X-C skiing. I still can't believe that with all that snow we got a week ago, we managed to only get one really good outing on the skis before the weather really turned sour. Now it's all iced over and may mostly melt when it hits 60 degrees tomorrow. Go figger!

This is also about the 8th straight day when I couldn't run safely outside. I made as far as opening the garage door this morning, only to have the (predicted) freezing rain and sleet start coming down. So another 5 on the dreadmill this PM. But I should be able to get out on the course on Sunday morning for sure.

I hope the rest of you are having better weather luck. And who's in charge of the search party we're sending out to look for Fred?

Aug 14, 2007
    124. Dec 27, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.  9.75 ez run this morning.  Ramping up mileage a bit and ended the week with 71 miles.   Had a secret desire to run 3K miles this year.  Looks like I'll be a 100 short.    Do we need to call out the mounties to find Fred?

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    125. Dec 27, 2008 11:06 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Yes.

Dec 14, 2007
    126. Dec 27, 2008 11:37 AM (in response to fred-urie)

4.5 slow to give me another 30 mile week, my 3rd in a row with no days off.  Also did about 30 minutes of core/stretching.  I am going to have to strengthen the muscles in my backside and legs if I am going to stay pain-free.  I have been focusing so much on the cardio side of recovery that I have been neglecting the little twinges that may sideline me.  

FRED! 

Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    127. Dec 27, 2008 4:24 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Roch, good luck with ski conditions.  Parts of NH are supposed to hit 60 degrees tomorrow as well, I think Frosty's in trouble.

I wonder if Fred's injured a hamstring and not running.  And Jim's disappeared too.  We're having roll call, check in youse guys.

Spareribs, 3 weeks @ 30 mpw, is it time for a cut-back? 

Saturday,

8.5 miles of XC skiing.  This is fun, but I'd rather be running...

Dec 14, 2007
    128. Dec 27, 2008 7:40 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Rich, you are exactly right.  One more week of this and then I am going to ease off big time.  Thanks for noticing.  Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    129. Dec 28, 2008 9:06 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Rich, I cooked a crown roast of pork which was okay,  The leftovers were transformed into a North Carolina pulled pork recipe, the kind with a vinegar and no tomato sauce.  I decided my original message was too sappy, hence the edit.

I went out for an allowed 15 minute bike ride which seemed hardly worth the laundry or bike cleaning.  I then took the dog for a diagnostic 1 mile run.  I feel no worse for the efforts and am now off to the pool for 2 hours of whatever I feel like doing.  Sometimes I don't know what I have in me until I get into the water.

JP, I hope you'll check in as well.

Aug 14, 2007
    130. Dec 28, 2008 12:19 PM (in response to fred-urie)

6 ez to start a 65-70 mile week.

Dec 14, 2007
    131. Dec 28, 2008 5:05 PM (in response to fred-urie)

8 miles easy this morning and felt pretty good. I ran at the lake with my club on a hilly course, which I really needed to do.  Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    132. Dec 29, 2008 4:46 AM (in response to ksrunr)

ks, do you have an "off season"? You're running really well lately...

Euph, a crown roast of pork makes a great looking roast, I've got a good recipe for the stuffing if you're interested.

I thought substituting xc skiing for running would give my heel a chance to mend, but I'm disappointed to say that after 2 weeks of trying, it really hasn't helped much. So now I'm down to walking on the treadmill and using the Nordic Track, which I'll try for a few days and if I'm still not making progress, it'll be time to stop completely.

Sunday,

I ran today, 2 miles easy.

Spareribs, isn't it amazing how we can see where someone else might be wise to back off a bit, but are blind to it when we look in the mirror? lol You're making great progress, keep it up!

Aug 14, 2007
    133. Dec 28, 2008 6:40 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Rich - you asked if I ever take any time off.  The answer is no.  But I have learned to pick and choose my racing now and not race every weekend.  I also now pick a couple 2-3 races a year as priority races and race and train thru the others.  I'm afraid I'll get old and not be able to do this and I want to do it as well as I can for as long as I can.  I see myself racing my walker down the the halls at the old folks home.  I've only had one serious injury all my running life so I don't worry too much about overtraining.  I do back off a bit with twinges and etc.

Speaking of which; have you gone to the sports vet about that heel?  Seems like the home remedy is not healing the heel.

Euph - I can almost taste your roast.

Good running Ribz. (and the Saint too)

I wonder if the mounties would go into NY and California too?

Dec 10, 2007
    134. Dec 29, 2008 8:53 AM (in response to ksrunr)

ks, reading your posts, it's obvious you keep yourself in good running shape, I'm curious what you run for miles in a year.

Being fairly new to running, I've made some dumb training mistakes and paid the price. I exchanged a few e-mails with Jim a while ago and he shared some tips I'll use going into the spring training season.  Hopefully I'll have a better year this year.

Regarding my heel, I've tried to cross train to maintain fitness while it healed, but it just hasn't worked.  It's obvious rest is what it needs and that's where I'm headed.

Monday,

I'm taking today off...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...