Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16682 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2009 10:23 AM by euphoric RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next
  • Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Dec 17, 2008 4:40 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - December

ks, your weather's something else.

Wednesday,

2.5 miles on XC skis...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    91. Dec 18, 2008 6:19 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Nice to see that someone else is skiing, although it's pretty cold here now for that.  Hopefully I can get out tomorrow.  Sweetum's snowshoes arrived yesterday, but mine are backordered, so no new bad habits until after Xmas!

10 min warm up, 35 min run and 10 min cooldown on the TM this morning.  I have developed the beginnings of a cold, and while it's still in my head I can feel it moving down to my chest.  I may need some time off to recover if it gets any worse.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    92. Dec 18, 2008 8:55 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Lydiard said that running was the second hardest aerobic exercise, after X-country skiing.

I'm doing another fiveK on Saturday.  This one is Dallas' popular "Jogger Egg Nogger" where they give you spiked egg nog after the race.  Many, many people run this one!

As you all know I am running these fiveK's now just as time tests to measure my improvement.  It is good for my confidence to see actual improvement from time to time, so that is all this is.  Previous fiveK's since surgery, in minutes per mile have been:

10:24

9:02

8:45

8:37

I am hoping for sub-8:30's on Saturday. As long as I see improvement, no matter how little, I am encouraged.  If I come home sober from this race I will post how I do.  Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    93. Dec 18, 2008 5:10 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

With just one snow storm so far this year, the skiing isn't that good yet, but we're forecast for more snow tomorrow so things should improve.  I'm looking for workouts that won't aggravate my heel and the skiing works great.

Another 2 1/2 miles today...

Don't take any prisoners this weekend's 5K Ribs, good luck!

Dec 14, 2007
    94. Dec 19, 2008 9:29 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Rich.  It's a fiveK and a fifteenK and in years past I have always done the 15K.  Both races start together and have about a half mile severe downhill at the start.  That is the only big concern i have.

Four easy miles today in prep for tomorrow.  Very excited.  Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    95. Dec 19, 2008 6:22 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Good luck tomorrow!

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    96. Dec 19, 2008 7:36 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Have a good one Ribs, and you too KS. Looking foward to those reports.

Dec 14, 2007
    97. Dec 20, 2008 6:05 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Lydiard was a very smart guy but I wonder if he ever tried swimming?  I find XC harder than running because it requires a lot of upper body work as well as legs.  Swimming is similar but it seems to me that it uses every muscle in your body!

Suffering with a tough cold right now, plus some very cold (-33C) weather, so no run yesterday and none today.  I should be back at it tomorrow.

Good luck with the race!  I will check in to see your report.

Dec 10, 2007
    98. Dec 20, 2008 9:25 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Friday,

37.5 minutes on the Nordic Track ski machine.

Saturday,

4 miles XC skiing.  This is day 5 of no running.  My heel's responding, but I'd rather be running. 

I find the ski machine a tougher workout than actual skiing, but a full body workout is what I've been missing, so it's all good.

Dec 14, 2007
    99. Dec 20, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Some good news:  Liz (runningindc) posted on RA today she had a nice long pain-free run and believes she is recovering nicely.  Maybe she will drop in here.

I did my 5K in 8:31's, so just a second or two per mile off goal.  I was tired the whole way with the back-to-back 30 mile weeks and no days off, and I am pleased with this result.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    100. Dec 21, 2008 4:02 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, you are way ahead of the game. Sit back and bask in your accomplishment.

Tigger, these runner guys don't swim!  I'd also suggest deep water running without  wearing the belt for comparison.

Rich, this is the perfect time to let the heel calm down.  You've been dealing with this for a long time.  Is it time for a second opinion?

Dec 14, 2007
    101. Dec 21, 2008 6:33 AM (in response to euphoric)

I've never tried a ski machine but I would guess it's a pretty good workout.  A couple of months ago I tried a rowing maching and found it to be a good overall aerobic workout.  The machine had a small dashboard where you could see your speed and calorie output and things like that.  I was quite interested in speed vs perceived effort, as I started kayaking last year and have a pretty good sense of effort and speed when out for an all day paddle.  I have heard that Nordic trak machines are excellent.

No running again due to this pesky head cold.  It's starting to work its way down to my chest.  I know that's supposed to be bad but it feels a lot better when I cough and something actually comes up.

Dec 14, 2007
    102. Dec 21, 2008 9:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nagging heel injuries, bad colds.  You guys get well.

Ks hasn't reported in here about his race, so let me just say that I kicked his butt yesterday.

3 slow, untimed miles today with the dog.  It's cold here for us, mid-20's and very windy.

Merry Christmas to you all from my son Riblet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LBZ2dcOic

Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    103. Dec 21, 2008 9:22 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hey, you forgot about my pain in the butt!  Ribs, you feel faster when you run with a short legged dog.

This is my last KS check before I head off to the pool.  Rich, You have got to take care of that heel.

Where's Fred?

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    104. Dec 21, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Is "pain in the butt" a reference to Ribs, or am I missing something, euphie?

My last good run was Wednesday when only two of us from the club showed up for the 9AM regular run. The path around the lake had been mostly cleared, but I was glad once more for wearing my Yaktrax, as they got me around in good order with no slipping. Since then we had about 12" of snow on Friday and right now it's 5 degrees out there with a stiff wind blowing all the snow back into the roads and driveways. My DW and I did have a really nice day yesterday X-C skiing in perfect conditions on groomed trails through the woods, but today was strictly a TM and indoor track day. Brrrr!!!

Maybe Fred's still snowed in as well. This is the biggest December snowfall in 35 years around here, so no surprise if it's tough to get outside.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...