Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2223 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2005 3:46 PM by atmarsha RSS 1 2 Previous Next
anawallace Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 24, 2005 1:59 AM

mom of 3 with hectic schedule

Hi everyone!

Before I had a husband and 3 children (12 and 10 year-old boy and a 8 year-old girl) I maintained a active lifestyle. I would log in about 30-40 miles/week and cross train. My boys are in a travel ice hockey team which is demanding,2-3 practices/week(for one boy) and games on the weekend.  My 8-year-old daughter figures skates 5-6 times a week.  I work part-time and have arranged my work schedule around their school and activities. My husband and I are at a ice rink just about everyday. I have been running around the ice rink when my daughter/sons are practicing(doesn't allow for long distance training-better than nothing) that is the only time that I can sometimes fit it in. Any other extra time I have is spent doing the laundry, grocoery shopping etc...My husband is supportive-helps with as much as he can.Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for your response!!

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jul 24, 2005 5:51 PM (in response to anawallace)
    Re: mom of 3 with hectic schedule

I know what you mean, my Tri coach has a busy schedule for me and I can't find the time. I have included my family in the workouts.  This helps a little, we go to the beach and they play while I swim, bike and run. Usually about 2 hours or so. I also go to sleep early so I can wake up at 5am, while my family sleeps, I run. By the time I get back they are up. Good luck!

• coxwithane Pro 97 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jul 24, 2005 7:11 PM (in response to anawallace)

Are you always doing all the laundry, grocery shopping, house cleaning, and similar chores? If so, I would get hubby's help with that stuff, not to mention dealing with the kids' practice schedules. Sounds like you're carrying the bulk of the load there, and that just doesn't seem fair to me.

Amy

• Rukisses2003 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 26, 2005 1:24 PM (in response to anawallace)

I feel you!! I run a business and I've always been very active. I was a single mom for a few years. Then two years ago I got remarried! (My husband runs a business as well.) A long with a large house and a new family came the responsibilities! I had a rude awaking! Six months into our marriage I declared a family meeting. I now had two daughters instead of one. My husband is wonderful and really pulls his weight around the house but it was still to much to carry. I cut down my social events and did a priority check. Of course running was a major priority to me. We made a list of chores for EVERYONE to have. By the kids helping out with folding the laundry and the dishes that freed me up from that. It wasn't right for my husband and I to carry the weight of four people. (By us setting chores and giving allowances, we were able to teach our daughters about the responsiblity of money too.) Instead of our gym memberships, we decided to start building our own gym at home. We started off purchasing one piece at a time. I understand what it's like being superwoman but if running is important to you, than it will be important to your family. There are lots of ways to sneak in time. You can even do your grocery shopping on line now (It doesn't cost you hardly anything to shop that way either. They even except coupons.) I set out outfits and pre-packed lunches the night before. By prepping the food for the next day, it gave me control over my family's diets too. Instead of running through a drive thru on those really busy days, I made healthy turkey wraps with a veggie on the side. All of us working moms understand your position. By everyone in our family doing a share(not just my husband and I doing all the work), it gave me my running time. It's tuff! Good luck!

• 1atatime Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 29, 2005 7:40 AM (in response to anawallace)

I feel your pain.  Well, I used to.  My kids are old enough to run with me now.  When they were 2 and 3 I divorced so juggling everything and finding time to run was very difficult.  I used to take them to a big grassy soccer field/football field or college/high school track and gave them a couple of balls.  They would play ball in the middle where I could see them while I ran the perimeter.  Going in circles can be boring, but it's a good break for your body from running on concrete. As they get older they start running stretches with you..now my 13 year old is running cross country at school.

• hubbahubba4 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Oct 20, 2005 1:43 PM (in response to anawallace)

I also have 3 kids - younger than yours (2, 4, 6) so they don't have too many activities to go to but I work full-time as well.  The only way I have found to successfully train for my marathons is to get up early and do most of my running before the rest of the family wakes up.  I have discovered that I really enjoy the solitude of the early morning hours, and that helps make up for the sleep I am sacrificing!  That is my time and no one else has any claim on me - even my 2 year old knows if I'm not there in the morning when he wakes up it is because I am out running.

• geoffp01 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Oct 27, 2005 8:39 AM (in response to anawallace)

I'm a stay-at-home dad with a 3 yr old daughter and one on the way. I can only imagine what it'll be like with children's activities filling the afternoons. Life is hectic enough already!

I just wanted to echo the posts about exercising in the morning. That seems to be the best for me anyway. My wife works from 7:30am until 6:30/7:00pm, so I've forced myself to get up in the mornings at 5:00/5:30. It was horrible at first - I'm not a morning person. But, I got into a routine, and as someone posted earlier, I began to enjoy the peaceful solitude of my morning workouts. It was also nice to not have the stress of wondering when I'd fit in my workout - it was already done! And, I could relax and enjoy my family and their activities.

Good luck to you!

• clubchick Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Oct 27, 2005 8:48 AM (in response to anawallace)

i'm a mom of 5 and between school and volleyball and church/awana, i'm left feeling like i have no time too!  my two youngest are still at home, so if i have no other opportunity to run for the day, when they nap i run on my treadmill.  it was a huge expense, and we had to budget and save for it for a LONG time, but that treadmill is the best investment we could've made in my physical (as well as mental!) health.

• deftig Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Oct 27, 2005 12:20 PM (in response to anawallace)

The treadmill, asking hubby to pitch in with errands and housework, and getting up early are great suggestions! One question: do you have to be at the rink each time your kids are there? I'm sure you love to watch them and they appreciate the support, but they are old enough to understand that mom needs time for herself. Maybe strike a deal with your kids that you'll be there watching on some days, but on others you're going to head out for a run. Even 30 or 45 minutes is great (and I'm sure practices are longer than that.) Everyone wins. You're happier and in better shape, the kids see you're happier and everyone gets the concept of time to care for onesself.

• shainex Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Oct 27, 2005 12:43 PM (in response to anawallace)

I am a mom of 4 children and I run about 20-30 miles a week and also do strength training every other day.  I run with another busy mom who also works part time.  We have found that the only way that we can make it work is to get up early and be finished with our workout before breakfast time. For us that is from 6-7 in the morning.  It takes some getting used to, but i now love it.

• shainex Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    10. Oct 27, 2005 12:45 PM (in response to anawallace)

i wanted to say that i also have learned to really involve my kids in the house work.  I give rewards for it and they are very good to help.  It takes a while to train them, and they don't do everything perfect, but it is worth it

• LindaSarll Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    11. Oct 27, 2005 1:17 PM (in response to anawallace)

I have 4 kids, 8, 10, 14 and 16, after years of running around their schedules, putting my training on hold and feeling very frustrated, I've found one that can please all of us. We all train for triathlons, it is such a busy and fulfilling schedule, they no longer want to do other outside sports, it is so much fun and we have lots of weekends away entering competitions.  Of course cross-country,  track and field and swimming events at school can all enhance our training even further, so these can still be fitted in. We train early in the day, anything between 5.30am & 7.30, that's the only way we can juggle, at weekends we all sneak back to bed after an early run, to catch up on sleep. Gone are the days of taxiing around to dance, karate, basketball practice etc, we are all having a time of our lives and are much closer as a family. Don't worry, it took 6 months to wean our kids off all the other stuff, no- one wanted to get up early, but once they saw the flashy road bikes, it soon caught on. If this sounds too much, just get to sleep early and get your running in before the clan wakes up, it's beautiful watching the sun rise and in peace!!

• paige36 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    12. Oct 27, 2005 1:22 PM (in response to anawallace)

Starting at 5 am is the only way.  I do that a few days a week and then a few nights after the kids are asleep (around 8:30...and I run with a friend).  My husband thinks I'm crazy but if I didn't do it I'd be crazy from lack of activity.

• arbarrera Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    13. Oct 27, 2005 4:39 PM (in response to anawallace)

Dear Hectic Mom,

I am a high school teacher with 1 teenager in high school and one in college and in addition, I have another 180 students which I call my children because I have to mentor them and teach them so I understand about time.  During the daytime, I teach from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. then I run home to change because I have to either work on recommendation letters, extra teacher duties or my children's activities.  So what has really worked for me is to get up at 4:00 a.m. and run MWF at 4:30 a.m. I love it...I am out there alone running and thinking.  Is it safe...yes, there are a lot of runners at that time of the morning.  On Tuesday and Thursday, I go to the YMCA at 5:00 a.m. and cross train.  I love because I get it over and done with in the morning and I also have time to myself.  In addition, my husband just found out that he has high blood pressure and high cholesterol so the doctor told him to lose weight.  So just recently he gets up with me and I run and he walks so we are both out there, no problems, no kids just a brand new spanking day.  I am tired but the evening, but I have no problems falling asleep either.  I will never have problems with sleep disorders, ha! ha!

Hope this helps.

Anna

• RickInRaleigh Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    14. Oct 27, 2005 6:33 PM (in response to anawallace)

I am a runner (20-30mi/week) and mtb cyclist (2-4 hours/weekly) who is a single dad of a 3 year old.  I work fulltime from home 3days a week and commute to work the other 2 days.  I like some of the other runners here, run during the week in the morning after my son goes off to his preK class (6:30am) so I run from 6:30am to 7:15 or so and then get ready for work.  One day a week, usually on Wed I pick him up in the afternoon after work and I ride my mtb with him in a trailer.  Because I am pulling him in a trailer I am working much harder than if I was solo so in effect a 45min ride is probably equal to riding solo for at least an 75min or so.  I usually repeat this on the weekend as well.  I also will often run with him in a jogging stroller for maybe 30-45mins which is a great workout equal to the effort required for a 45-60 min run solo (I run in a park with some hills). I do this also on the weekends as well.  On Sundays I will sometimes do a "duathalon" just against myself and a clock where I will run with him in the jogging stoller and then I switch to the bike with him in the trailer and then back to the Jogging stroller.  Whew, talk about a workout.  Its hectic but very rewarding training with him.  I introduced the running in the jogging stroller to him when he was 9-10 months old so he is used to being strapped in and enjoys it often yelling out, "faster, Daddy, faster"  or just gleefully yelling out "wheeeeee".  Good Luck!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...