Skip navigation

4179 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2009 7:50 AM by blackfaery RSS
ruizaliz Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2008 6:34 AM

Want to be my ideal size 6

I am a size 8 I 've been struggling with getting to my Ideal size of 6. I did lose weight from 205 to 164 but, I've been like a yo-yo since I join weight wachers in 2005 does anyone have advice on what I can do. I excerse everyday twice a day cause I have to walk my dogs for about an hour. can someone help me?

• sarah1219 Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    1. Dec 4, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to ruizaliz)
    Re: Want to be my ideal size 6

I broke my plataeu by eating 1200 cal per day and changing my workout routine.  Carbs only before noon (this includes sugary fruits).  Dinner no later than 6 pm and no snacking in between.  I did this for about 2 months and lost 15 pounds.  My workouts consisted of kickboxing, yoga, pilates and walking during my lunch for about 15 minutes.

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    2. Dec 8, 2008 11:10 AM (in response to ruizaliz)

While walking your dog for 2hrs a day is fantastic for you and your dog, if you are wanting to stabilize your weight and your health you will need to commit to some higher intensity workouts.  I am a huge dog lover, so it warms my heart to hear of people that walk there dog like they should, so keep that up as much as you can.  However, I will recommend that you step up your routines by adding in some higher intensity cardio vascular workouts ie.  running, cycling, rowing, swimming etc...Grab a couple of books on a sport from that list that look good to you and start reading on how to get started in those sports.  I do all of them because I love them all, but you should pick one or two and start learning about how to do them properly.  You will need to do high intensity workouts 4-6 days a week depending on your abilities.  If you have the extra money, I would recommend you find a personal trainer you connect with, there knowledge and expertise will help insure you get set up with a plan of action that will work well for you.  Its important to make sure that you find a trainer and dietitian that will guide you down a fitness path that will help you achieve your goal of weightloss and fitness. 

As you ramp up your fitness, your body will require more calories to sustain its self.  So dont feel guilty about eating more than you did in the past, food is good for you, contrary to what a lot of people make you feel like.  =P  As you get more and more fit you will start to have a different view of food, it will change from something you eat because you are kinda hungry, to, fuel for your new fit machine.  Remember, its all about calories in and calories out, and once you get into a higher level of fitness your food intake will be dictated by what your body needs to do the next task.

• blackfaery Rookie 1 posts since
    May 9, 2008
    3. Feb 16, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to strangerthanfitness)

I would have to agree with Strangerthanfitness.  Additionally though, it is absolutely imperative that you start to strength train, or the wieght will never come off.  When you lose a lot of weight as you stated you already have, your body loses both fat and muscle.  The problem with that is that as you lose muscle your metabolism slows down, eventhough you've lost weight.  This is the most common reason people plateau in their weight loss.  By adding even a moderate amount (read:at least 20 minutes three times a week) of weight training, you can reverse the muscle loss, speed up your metabolism, and shape your new body the way you want it.  While a personal trainer is always great for beginners, you can find a lot of valuable books on proper lifting technique if a trainer is outside your budget.  Just remember for a beginner, the biggest muscle groups are the best to start with (like legs, chest and back), and simple multi-muscle exercises are the easiest to adjust to (like squats, lunges, pushups, and pullups).  I hope this helps!!

Dottie

CEP, NASM-CPT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points