Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

14821 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2011 1:31 PM by Bailey's Irish Creme
Active Giselle Active.com Staff 21 posts since
Jun 4, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 4, 2008 2:01 PM

Ask Walking contributor Jeff Salvage

Hi Everyone,

Jeff Salvage is a new Walking contributor on Active.com. He is the founder of Racewalking.com and Walkinghealthy.com. I would like to encourage all of you to submit some of your questions so that Jeff can hopefully answer them in a monthly Q&A article. What do youneed to know?

Feel free to post your questions right here. You can publish them as a comment to this thread.

Hopefully this will help shape Active's Walking section toward your interests and questions as walkers.

Happy Walking!!!

• chemistrylady Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Dec 6, 2008 12:02 PM (in response to Active Giselle)
    Re: Ask Walking contributor Jeff Salvage

Hello Jeff,

I am a 65yr old healthy woman who walks regularly... lifts weights... and am in excellent health. My fitness trainer wants me to increase my walking speed(14.5min mile) to a slow running speed... she thinks I should start jogging... running... instead of just fast walking. I am hesitant... what do you think? Is it worth the effort? Am I opening myself up to injury? 

This discussion all came about because I am training to walk a 1/2 marathon in April. I walked a 1/2 marathon about 7 years ago and want to do it again.

what do you think?

thanks... chemistrylady

• JeffSalvage Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008
    2. Dec 13, 2008 3:50 PM (in response to chemistrylady)

Hi ChemistryLady,

Sorry for the slow reply. Alot depends on how fast a slow running speed is. Do you mean say a 10 minute mile pace? If so, I think it's unrealistic to immediately jump from where you are to there. However, if you are thinking of improving say 1-2 minutes per mile, that is reasonable and will give you better cardiovacular conditioning and save you time on your workout, not to mention your race.

The best way to improve your speed is to improve your technique by using all of your major muscle groups efficiently. Show your trainer the techniques on my wesite, www.racewalk.com. By picking up race walking technique you can easily improve your pace without a high risk of injury.

Jeff Salvage

Jeff Salvage, Founder

www.racewalk.com

www.walkinghealthy.com

www.greattreks.com

• judycliffakron Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 20, 2008
    3. Feb 8, 2009 4:13 PM (in response to Active Giselle)

Hi!  I broke both feet in September 2007, and got hooked on walking as a result of my physical therapy.  Instead of walking just for the sake of walking, I decided to train for a half marathon.  The net result is that I've now finished four of those events and a shorter event on Thanksgiving Day.  I graduated from a 13:52 pace in August to 12:52 in September to 12:41 in October.  I didn't train as well as I should have during the cold winter months, and consequently didn't improve my pace in my January event.  I did, however maintain 12:25 for the first 10 miles.  What would be better at this point - train for a marathon, and push myself for distance, or keep trying to improve my pace, and stick to the half marathon circuit?  I plan to do the 3-day 60-mile Susan Komen breast cancer event at the end of July.  At the age of 60 (coming up in June), is it reasonable to expect to increase my speed beyond a 12:30 pace for 13 miles?  I've become almost obsessed with being able to go faster, but part of me would like to say I completed a full marathon, too.  Your advice would be most welcome!  Judy

Dec 5, 2008
    4. Feb 9, 2009 11:23 AM (in response to judycliffakron)

Judy,

Glad to hear we have another convert. Walking has so many opportunities, which is a blessing and a curse. The choice you face is faced by many. It's really a choice that depends upon your goal and frequency to race. If you have always dreamed of walking a marathon, go for it. However, if there isn't a special appeal to the marathon, then improving your pace, possibly improving your efficiency through technique improvements, and racing more often may lead you to do more 1/2 marathons. I do not recommend walking more than two marathons a year. So if you want to race more often, the 1/2 marathon also provides more opportunities to keep us motivated and walking through those cold wintery days.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Salvage, Founder

www.racewalk.com

www.walkinghealthy.com

www.greattreks.com

Jeff Salvage, Founder

www.racewalk.com

www.walkinghealthy.com

www.greattreks.com

• samtil Amateur 13 posts since
    Feb 10, 2009
    5. Feb 28, 2009 3:48 AM (in response to JeffSalvage)

I will help him..if you need any advice pls let me know

Thanks

seo expert

• CazzieB Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 28, 2009
    6. Mar 28, 2009 10:30 AM (in response to Active Giselle)

Hi Jeff,

I have a question about hydration during a half marathon.  There's a lot of info out there about how much and what to drink during a marathon, but I find myself overdoing it at shorter distances and wasting a lot of time waiting in line at portajohns!  Any guidelines about how much a 130 lb. woman should drink during a half marathon, and when to switch from water to sports drinks?

Thanks!

Caz

Dec 5, 2008
    7. Mar 30, 2009 7:21 PM (in response to CazzieB)

There is no one formula that will work for everyone. So the first advice is try your plan out in long workouts. I use vitalyte and do not tend to take much water. Others do a slit between water and an electrolyte drink.  As far as a max, the most per hour is a liter of fluid, but most people racing hard may have trouble taking that much in. I would start practicing at 1/2 a liter an hour and see how you do. Alot obviously depends on the heat and humidity as well.

Jeff Salvage

Jeff Salvage, Founder

www.racewalk.com

www.walkinghealthy.com

www.greattreks.com

• CazzieB Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 28, 2009
    8. Mar 31, 2009 4:44 AM (in response to Active Giselle)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response to my last question.  I have another one for you.  I am planning on some hilly races this summer, but I live in the flatlands.  I figure I can work out a plan for managing the inclines since I have access to a treadmill.  However, I have a long history of knee problems so I'm actually more worried about the declines.  Do you have any suggestions about how I can prepare for the downhills?

Thanks!

Caz

Dec 5, 2008
    9. Mar 31, 2009 5:24 AM (in response to CazzieB)

Alot depends on what type of knee problems you have. There is no question that going down is more destructive then going up. I wouldn't suggest you train on hills if they are likely to bother your knees. So the best generic advice is to strengthe your knees as much as possible. When I had knee issues I did a series of isometric knee exercises combined with straight leg raises with ankle weights. (never wear ankle weights to walk, but they are good for strengthening). In the race itself, don't race walk down hill and you'd be best to walk leisurely down. This is not what I recommend when someone is racing for time, but is good when you have injury issues.

Jeff

Jeff Salvage, Founder

www.racewalk.com

www.walkinghealthy.com

www.greattreks.com

• BarkforLife Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    10. Mar 29, 2010 5:23 AM (in response to Active Giselle)

Hi Jeff!

I was wondering if you knew how I would go about posting a relay for the American Cancer Society?  It's called Bark for Life Chatham County GA and it's a relay for dogs and their owners.

Thanks

Jenny

Attachments:
  • myhien13 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 2, 2011
    11. Apr 14, 2011 3:44 PM (in response to JeffSalvage)

Hi Jeff,

Would you still recommend 1/2 a liter an hour for walks that can last as long as 21 hours?  I am doing a 100K one day hike.  I add Camelbak Elixir or Nuun in my water.  It helps me avoid the headache at the end of the walk. Thanks

Hien

• Bailey's Irish Creme Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 15, 2008
    12. May 11, 2011 1:31 PM (in response to Active Giselle)

Jeff,

My husband and I walk half marathons and find that our time is getting slower.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  My husband has problems with his calves tighten up if we don't start very slowly and increase our time.  Any suggestions?

2.  Our original training pattern was 4 miles 3 day per week and gradually increasing miles on Sundays up to 14 then back to 6 and 6 the two weeks prior to the race.  What is a good maintenance between races?  We try to do 3 - 4 per year.

Any advise would be appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...