Skip navigation

3738 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2008 6:16 PM by dutch omi
Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 14, 2008 12:25 PM

Motivation

Since a lot of people seem to be getting the winter blues, and I've finally gotten a fire under my @$$, I figured why not post something about it. Recently both at work and at home, I have printed up a chart of goals in large font and taped it on the wall by my desks, where I can see them easily. It has both race time goals, and local trail goals. (The only thing without a time goal is Goofy, which says 'FINISH'). I look at it everyday, and think about them while going out for my training. As I start to hit the trail goals I will probably reprint the sheet with an updated number. But I like having it up there, where both myself, and all of my coworkers, can see the numbers.

I also am trying to stay registered for at least 2 or 3 races at a time, so once I have finished one I won't have a "what's next" moment - I get my rest in and then already know where I'm heading!

2009 is a year for PRs!

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
CMM Finisher 2008
Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Dec 14, 2008 12:50 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)
    Re: Motivation

IrishRunner77 wrote:

Since a lot of people seem to be getting the winter blues, and I've finally gotten a fire under my @$$, I figured why not post something about it. Recently both at work and at home, I have printed up a chart of goals in large font and taped it on the wall by my desks, where I can see them easily. It has both race time goals, and local trail goals. (The only thing without a time goal is Goofy, which says 'FINISH'). I look at it everyday, and think about them while going out for my training. As I start to hit the trail goals I will probably reprint the sheet with an updated number. But I like having it up there, where both myself, and all of my coworkers, can see the numbers.

I also am trying to stay registered for at least 2 or 3 races at a time, so once I have finished one I won't have a "what's next" moment - I get my rest in and then already know where I'm heading!

2009 is a year for PRs!

Awesome suggestions.  Its comforting to know there are others that find it hard to maintain the flame in the winter. I like your suggestions about race results.  Focusing on those time goals does press you forward.  I might also compliment it with some training, cross-training and 'rest' goals as well.  For training goals, i will do at least one tempo run at some specified pace per week.

I'm wondering about 'Rest' Goals.

I ran a 10K Bread Run this morning sponsored by the DC Road Runners.  Not a bad run for me.

I'm strongly thinking about New Jersey Marathon in early May.  It's flat, near the ocean, and has two 13.1 mile loops, so you know what the second half will look like...too me that's a good formula for a PR.

Thanks for sharing and Happy running!

Happy Running!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 15, 2008 8:37 AM (in response to JerryX)

In an effort to keep myself from running a marathon in 2009, I made a list of running related goals to reach BEFORE registering for another marathon. Sadly, I've already attained 2 of those goals and fear that I will reach them all early in the year. Rats!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008

Ok Lee, what are those goals.  You know you'll be running a marathon in 09 and maybe even 2? 

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 15, 2008 1:42 PM (in response to dutch omi)

dutch omi wrote:

Ok Lee, what are those goals. You know you'll be running a marathon in 09 and maybe even 2?

I came up with time goals for different distances. I've attained the 10 mile and the 1/2 marathon time goals, and am only off the 5k goal by 1 second.  I've got a 1 mile and a 3 mile time goal (which maybe I'll be too slow to do!) and the goal of getting down to 136 lbs so I have less to carry while running. Now THAT goal may just be the one that saves me from running a marathon!  Send me lots of chocolates, Charlotte!

Chocolate is very nice.
    Jan 19, 2008

I'm going to Holland in March and will bring you back some of those good chocolates.

• andrewblur Legend 530 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    6. Dec 15, 2008 3:54 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Excellent ideas! And not just because they resemble my own! . I find I have to plan ahead as well partially because of wisely alotting my running budget for the upcoming year, but also because of my goals and races I would like to do before the old equipment starts to break down. There are so many great events from which to choose. Motivation in winter is particularily tough with over eating during the holidays and dressing in layers during those cold, dark pre-dawn runs. Nothing new about that. I find I have to stick to a training program that leaves a little "breathing room" but not too much. Oh, before I forget, HEY LEE. I hope the MCM Half is on your schedule. So guys. Watch the cookies and eggnog in the upcoming weeks. Keep it up!

To live a life of safety and complacency is to live without passion or purpose.

Wenn Sie es oben haben, erhalten Sie es aufrecht !

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    7. Dec 15, 2008 3:12 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

my goals for 2009.....run faster, be stronger, stay happy and healthy, and.....

run Long Branch Half again- May

MCH half again- May

The 20 in 24 lone ranger- goal 6 laps for 50 miles- July

Philly marathon in November

Jan 19, 2008
    8. Dec 15, 2008 6:16 PM (in response to kmagaleski)

It's not easy for 2009, I'm skiing the Jackson, NH marathon, weather permitting, if that one is cancelled, the Gatineau in Ottawa a couple of weeks later, than the Princess Disney Half, and if I get in, the Burlington City Half, the Montreal Half, and then either the Amsterdam, the Buffalo, the MCM or the NYC.  All dependent on if I get in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points