Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1492 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 7, 2009 10:41 AM by LMc. RSS
tnus Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2008 1:34 PM

Decrease 5K time

I have been running for a year and have only done two 5k races. I plan on doing another this spring. My time was 31:52 at the last 5k.  I would love to get to 27 minutes. Is this an obtainable goal considering I only have 5-6 months to do it. How can I achieve it with any easy to follow schedule of runs? Thanks for any help.

• LMc. Amateur 36 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 7, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to tnus)
    Re: Decrease 5K time

I would say yes, that is completely do-able.  It is going to be tough, but your fitness level can increase SO MUCH in 6 months.  I dropped by 10K time from 55:56 to 52:30 in 5 months this year, without really even trying specifically for that distance (I was training for a half marathon).  Focus on speed workouts, and fartleks in your training schedule, and do one long run a week.  If you are only focused on a 5K race, you don't ever need to run more than 4 or 5 miles in a training run, in my opinion.  Since you have only been running for one year, you probably still have a great way to go as far as dropping time.  Good luck!  I'm excited for you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points