Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22686 Views 225 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2009 11:42 AM by Spareribs823 RSS 1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next
ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2009 6:59 AM

50 plus training and racing - Jan. '09

I am psuedo Fred until he returns.  (Hurry up Fred!)

I will not fine Euphie for posting her last post in Dec.  That ok Ribz?

6 miles ez this morning along the shore front.   58 degrees and no wind.  IRC   Will get 6 more tonight with the group.

Have a great year!

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Jan 1, 2009 9:05 AM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 plus training and racing - Jan. '09

Well ks, pseudo's not a name I'd have chosen, but good for you for stepping forward...

Euph, Tri's are perfect for the way you train.  I've heard it can get rough up front in the swimming portion though, elbows and feet are everywhere.  I'd probably just do the Dog Paddle and avoid all that.   And the crack about an unwritten rule here was aimed at the guys who've disappeared without a trace or explanation, certainly not you...

Thursday,

4 mile of xc skiing, kick and glide style.  Skate skiing's when I fall and that's what's irritated my heel, so none of that for a while.

Let's hope 2009 is a better year than the last one, eh?

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jan 1, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Well Rich, I certainly will be among the group who wish for a better '09 than '08 was!

Did a fun run at my club today.  Was supposed to be six miles, but my butt where I have that lingering pain on the right side, never did loosen up and in fact began to hurt a bit more as we went, so at 2 I turned around and ran just 4 miles.  I will now take a few days off to let it rest.  Too bad, as I was running well in December.  Spareribs

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    3. Jan 1, 2009 1:48 PM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, you make a nice psuedo

Ribs, a couple days off is nothing.....take it and enjoy them

4.13 around the tidal basin in 48:43 for an ~11:49 m/m. I am building to do the Miami 1/2 at the end of January. So far all systems are go....

09 wll be just fine....

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jan 1, 2009 5:10 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Although I would like to have finished the year on a better note it was still one of best I've ever had.

Way to step up and get the the thread going, KS.

Happy New Year to all.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. Jan 2, 2009 4:02 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Liz, Miami in January must be wonderful incentive to get out in any of this weather!  A local group of women have been training like maniacs for the full. 

Just about everyone here has faced a bump in the road and come back full speed ahead.  Didn't Fred start this because he felt running changed after 50?  I think it helps to read about setbacks and recoveries.  Fines should be assessed for whining.  Pseudo Fred gets my vote to determine those since he was brave enough to start us off this month.

Rich, I can be pretty aggressive in the water.  The transitions and the wheels worry me more, but I have mastered bungee laces and falling.

Ribs, I ignored pain in that region last year and was off the road for months.  This year I tried to resolve a similar pain on my own.  It didn't help, I started therapy, and I'm carefully back on the road in just weeks this time. 

One hour in the pool, easy, for me later today.

I think Fred would be happy to have Jim step in while he is away.  Thanks, Jim. 

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Jan 2, 2009 6:47 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks for firing up the new thread KS!  Ribs, we both have a pain in the butt but mine is on the left side. 

Weather here is cool (-19C) but clear.  It is supposed to warm up to the freezing point for a few days, but we always get snow when it warms, so not good for running, but maybe for skiing or snowshoeing!

I'm pretty sure I've torn the hammy muscle away from the hip bone, as I am unable to lift my leg at the knee without feeling pain in the hip.  I can put weight on my leg, and can lift the leg without pain during pushoff while walking, but pulling it back forward to re-plant is done without any strength.  Hard to put my socks on in the morning...I needed help yesterday, but today I was able to do it myself, so maybe things are on the mend.  Anyway, will try some XC skiing later today.  I think I can do that without further injury.  Gotta find some way to work off the Xmas turkey!

Have a good weekend everyone!

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    8. Jan 2, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Sorry. My mom had dementia for 5 years and I took care of her. She died in November and I started to lose interest in things.

Jan 1 - 30 minutes easy at 22F

Jan. 2 - 60 minutes progression on the indoor 200 track, last mile @ sub 6 pace. 60 minutes walking for a warmdown.

Dec 17, 2007
    9. Jan 2, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I talked with Ed while i walked today. He has about 600 to 650 races under his belt. We talked about racing in the

80's in Detroit. Emily's 10k use to pull in 22,000 runners. Did you ever race in that, Jim?

Dec 17, 2007
    10. Jan 2, 2009 9:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)

As for whether average runners can model elite training, I have always believed they could. I have probably argued

about that here before.

5 mile race - Allen Taverner

35:36

1 M60-64

4:27

Half marathon

|               

Windsor

1:37:22

2 LM60-64

4:37

This guy did 3 times 2 miles @ 7 minute mile pace on the track last week, but he didn't run my pace the next day

because I ran so slow.  Each to his own.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    11. Jan 2, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

My condolences Fred, losing a parent is really tough. 

Friday,

4 miles on the skis.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jan 2, 2009 10:49 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Fred, you did what was important to do.  You have my condolences.  Glad to know you are okay.

Euphie, thank you.  My plan is to strengthen the muscles in that area, rather than stretching them.  My over-stretching recently led to this discomfort.  No run today.  Spareribs

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Jan 2, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to ksrunr)

fred, you have my condolences also. My parents have both been gone for a long time, but I remember how it can change your outlook for a while.

Euph - I thought that you were already a star tri-athlete. I know you could kick my sorry butt at any of the disciplines, and I'm sure you'll do great when you get around to doing one.

Ran 6.1 at a 9:15 pace around the Oakland U campus this morning with the younger group again. I had to laugh when the young woman next to me complained a bit about running in the cold. I asked where she was from and she replied "Ecuador!" As in "on the Equator," I believe. I guess I'll give her some credit for even going outside in our winter weather.

1 2 3 ... 16 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...