Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22734 Views 225 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2009 11:42 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Previous Next
  • fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    165. Jan 24, 2009 8:23 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 plus training and racing - Jan. '09

from coolrunning:

"mopak
    Cool Runner
    !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/posticon.gif!posted Aug-17-2005 10:21 PM   

[http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName=mopak]     [http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/postings.cgi?action=editpost&forum=TheCompetitiveWire&number=9&topic=001251.cgi&ReplyNum=000000&TopicSubject=Moneghetti%7CAPO%7Cstraining.]   [http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=TheCompetitiveWire&number=9&topic=001251.cgi&TopicSubject=Moneghetti%7CAPO%7Cstraining.&replyto=0]

</font>

-

I

thought Dan, Fred and others might (if they haven't already seen it)

see the sought of training that Steve Moneghetti did during his long

illustrious career.

This is rom his book IN THE LONG RUN. The

training quoted is typical of the type of program used by Wardlaw and

Clohessy trained runners in Australia.

Sun.am. 35km 2h30m   pm.10km easy, weights.

Mon.am. 10km easy     pm. 16km easy.

Tues.am. 8km easy      pm.5km warmup, 6km fartlek

(  15sec-90sec efforts

total time 20min )

6km warmdown.

Wed.am.8km easy      pm. 24km easy, weights.

Thurs.am.8km easy     pm.4km warmup, 8x400m with 200m

floats,4km warmdown.

Fri.am.8km easy        pm.15km easy.

Sat.am.4km warmup, 7km hill session, 4km warmdown

pm.12km easy.That's

about 200km per week, not a huge total in itself but this was done year

round with only minor variations to emphasis and intensity depending on

the stage of preperation."

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    166. Jan 24, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Starting to wean myself off the advil at night, so last night was a restless one.  This morning I jogged 10k while listening to CBC2.  Good blues music...a little Van Morrison and Taj Mahal going out.  Holly Cole and Tom Jones on the way back.  They had a quick blurb from Tom, who said women STILL throw underwear onstage during his performances, but it's a lot bigger nowadays!

DD ran 10:48.  Well off her goal time, but she has a serious head cold and said there were only 3 people in the race.  She said she started at 42 sec per lap and held it til the final 1000 meters before starting to slow up a bit.  Still a PR under difficult conditions so she's happy.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    167. Jan 24, 2009 12:16 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Eager to hear how KS' race went today. I suspect he had crappy weather as it is very windy in Dallas due to the huge temp drop between yesterday (67) and today (37).  That happens in TX a lot.  No one I know runs races well in the wind.

Fred, I enjoyed that comment about a couple of seconds in those 200s meaning the difference between 4:05 and 4:30's in the mile.  It reminded me of Frank Shorter's comment, quoted in "once a runner."  Frank Shorter: "How did I know you ran a 4:30 mile in high school?  Because everybody ran a 4:30 mile in high school."

Sierra, maybe it surprised you about the extra mile or so walking with the dog, but the same thing happened to me.  When you are growing mileage, you tend to notice everything.  I always suggest to people, "do one thing at a time, if you are building a mileage base, this is not the time to toss in a lot of speed work too."  You sure can feel the added fatigue if you tack on anything else during mileage build-up.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread on RunningAhead that I thought some of you might be interested in, and in any case I would appreciate your feedback on it.  Here it is:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/b17e3ab2f770461d8cfe38ab01a52143

I wrote this as a response to a series of posts I had noticed about interval work that made little sense to me and was hoping for some discussion about it.  Of course the people who responded were not the people with the poor workouts.

Today I ran 4.2, just to finish my first 35-mile week.  Feeling very good.

Euphie, thank you for the Etonic recommendation.  I will see if my stores carry Etonic and if they do will ask them to order me a pair.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    169. Jan 24, 2009 4:38 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Spareribs, ah, that's advice to heed. Thank you. I'm going to take it. It was increasing mileage and the speed work (and walking those extra miles) that, I know, contributed to the tenderness in my Achilles tendon (it's better now--didn't feel it today on a five mile run). I'm going to concentrate just on increasing distance for a while.

KSrunner, when you mention the master's record time, I thought about how men's races are much more competitive than women'syou and Spareribs are fast. My ex-husband (my current husband doesn't run, but does a lot of strenous hikes) and I began running together in the mid-1970she went on to run 15 or 20 marathons. He was fairly fast but could never place in his age group because of the large pool of competition. My other male runner friends said the same thing. There were fast female runners in those early races, but I always felt I had a chance at placing , though I was by no means as fast as the top female runners (5:45 or 6 minute milers)---there were just fewer of us at that time, I think.  I get the sense that men in their 50s racing today face as much stiff competition as they did in their late 20s and 30s.

Dec 31, 2008
    170. Jan 24, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

PS to KS: On tracks: I began running on a track (though not in high schoolI swam in high school but didn't run) and have never lost my love of running on a track. I've told others I have a high threshold for boredom but seriously, I often run on a track because you can zone out, you don't have to worry about cars, if it's a rubber track it's great to run on, and it's a convenient place to run when you're in an unfamiliar place and don't have time to scope out a place to run. Also, you know just how far you've run. I think it helps that I didn't run in high schoolI might have a different view of the track. I run on the track ususally for 4-6 mile runs. Beyond that, it's too boring even for me. I ran on a track in Berkeley, CA that at busy times had 30-50 people running on it---it was like being in a race every time I ran. The only downside to a track is that you can get caught up in racing someone else. If I find that I'm starting to do that, I change directions.

Dec 31, 2008
    172. Jan 24, 2009 5:33 PM (in response to ksrunr)

KS: "I do, however, still take great delight in beating the youngsters"

So do I.

Edited to add: I swam for a team that went to the state championships every year in high school--I ranked probably in the lower 1/4 of the swimmers on that team, and so always missed out on the championships. The high point for me was a school record in the 200 m freestyle, which lasted for all of a few days before someone on our team bested it.  That highly competitive environment taught me persistence. Just to do my best is important.

Dec 14, 2007
    173. Jan 25, 2009 5:09 AM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, did you see how she lumped me in with you as being fast?  Take that!  Wait til she's here a bit and sees how slow I am.

Off to run 9, I hope.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    174. Jan 25, 2009 8:22 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I don't mind running on a track either!  I have one right out my back door and I often use it for easy runs, or even threshold runs for that matter.  Don't think I'd like to do a long run on one though.  Too boring!

Yesterday I went out with Sweetums in the afternoon for a 90 min ski.  Skies were clear and temperatures were middling at -15C.  I only fell twice!

Today was the same 19k route as yesterday, and within a second of the same time, but HR was about 5% higher today.  Maybe it was due to the 3 layers of cloths I wore to combat -26C temperatures!  That will slow you down a bit.  Anyway, This was the best week this year at 33 miles.  Hip is haning in there.

Good runs to everyone today!

Dec 14, 2007
    175. Jan 25, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Very encouraging news Tigger.  You'll be passing your daughter soon!

Another 9-miler just like last week, but this was a tad faster at 9:42's.  (Hear that Sierra?)  The good news for me was how good I felt through it all after this past week.  I thought I would be tired.   Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    176. Jan 25, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs, thanks for the link to your post on RA, it's really good reading...

It's too bad there aren't any XC ski races around here, with all the miles I'm skiing, I think I'd do well.

27 miles this week, all on skis.  113 for the winter.

Tomorrow's the first day on my new job. Both thankful and apprehensive at the same time.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    177. Jan 25, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Gadzooks!  I just read my own thread and see a small error!  It was a 10k loop, not 19k!  That's what I get for not proofing it before hitting the post button!

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    178. Jan 25, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Rich, the first day is the hardest. 

I was hoping Liz might have checked in by now.

3 hours in the pool after my meager 1 mile yesterday.

Dec 31, 2008
    179. Jan 25, 2009 4:01 PM (in response to euphoric)

Hey spareribs, anything around 9:30s on your regular long runs (and I think, if I remember your posts right, you've done quicker ones than that) to be in the not-so-slow category. Anyway, I've got you beat in the slow run todayI went 10 miles, some 10:30s and 11:30s in the first three miles with one-minute walk breaks at each mile for 5 miles, and then the remaining five miles without them, with a few 9:15 segments for a blistering 1:46:48I think that comes to 10:45 a mile or thereabouts. I didn't lose my form, though---even if I'm dying, I try to maintain some semblance of dignity. I did get a second wind at 8 miles, which was wonderful. All of a sudden I felt I could go 12 but good sense prevailed.

Also, Spareribs, good for you that you felt better than you thought you'd feel today. It feels good, doesn't it, to have a good run when you don't expect it--

Message was edited by: SierraLauren

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...