Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22711 Views 225 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2009 11:42 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 Previous Next
  • runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    211. Jan 28, 2009 7:19 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 plus training and racing - Jan. '09

Congrats on the half, RunninginDC!

KC good run at 8 pace.

Today did my 7+ miles on treadmill in 60 minutes, then went line dancing for an hour and a half.  I'll sleep easy tonight!

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    212. Jan 30, 2009 5:52 AM (in response to runthenumbers)

RunninginDC, that's interesting about the difference in time and distance with the Garmin and the offical race time. I've used my Garmin on the track and it's been accurate at recording the distance.

Spareribs, I've been reading Running Until You're 100 by J. Galloway. I agree with much of what he says, so far, at least in my experience with running over a long period of time. I've generally followed the rule of running daily runs at 2-3 minutes below what I think my race pace would be. I read that that was a good guideline to follow some years ago.. The only time I had an injurythey were irritations mainly, I think, because I don't remember having to lay off of running for more than a few dayswas when I was racing a lot. When I stopped racing and ran smarter aon the daily runs, the injuries went away and never returned.

There are runners, though, who can take harder workouts as they get older and do just fine--just depends on their physical makeup (as Galloway notes). I followed your link to the other web site and one of the comments rang true for me as well. He or she said that they never ran too hard in daily runs and still ran well in races. That's been my experience, though I had no plan at all at the time (with the exception of a kindly neighbor who used to time me, and, sort of, coach me, from time to time). I ran race pace very rarely on daily runs. I was always felt fresh at races and was able to turn up the pace, running on average 2-3 minutes faster than my daily runs.

KS, I used to live in San Francisco, and one time, I ran to the Golden Gate Bridge through Crissey Field, which was a favorite run. Near the bridge, a man called out to me, "hey, you runners don't really see anything." I joked with him and said, "look at those pelicans over there." I imagine that getting hit with poop from a goose would be something you wouldn't soon forget. Pelicans have never dropped anything on me, though they probably have better things to do. They're usually fishing. Beautiful birds.

Yesterday was 4 miles, very slow, at work at noon time. Noon is my worst time to run; I rarely feel my best, then. Still, good to get it done. Today, 5 miles on a dirt track at the junior high school. It's usually empty but today there were kids doing workouts, playing basketball. Easy running, comfortable. The times at each mile were: 10:20, 20:36, 31:03, 41:14, and, 51:36. This weekend we're going camping in the desert--wide vistas and peace and perhaps a run on Saturday down some lonely dirt road.

Message was edited by: SierraLauren

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    213. Jan 29, 2009 6:24 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Thank you Sierra. 

"He or she said that they never ran too hard in daily runs and still ran well in races."

That guy was rbbmoose, who used to be coached by Tinman, and who, as you mentioned about your own training, got very fit by running just slightly slower than fast pace, but ensuring some quality in all his runs.  Last weekend he ran 20 miles at 6:27 pace.  Remember that post Ks? 

Fred was trying to help us see in Canady's manifesto that in addition to easy base-building, Lydiard was strong on tempo work, hills and fast aerobic work during mileage growth.  I pointed out that this approach was useful for younger runners but for me at my age, I need to build my base easy, without tough work.  The tough runners here however, disagreed with my generalizations (Ks and Fred) but cited anomalies such as Ed Fee and the lucky few who can endure that kind of regimen.  I am of course as always correct, but I forgive Fred and Ks for arguing with me.

6.1 this morning on local streets.  Haven't run on sidewalks in ages and it was a nuisance.  Never felt like I could get on pace.  I need just 7 miles in the next 2 days combined to have 35 again this week.  Had a one hour massage today which was wonderful.  The MT seemed to home right in on the afflicted area, as the good ones always seem to do, and just worked it great.

Here is my song for the fall of this year:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT50e9VSEkQ  The rest of you watch out.  (Fred and Ks, this means you.)

Rich, how did the first week go?

Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    215. Jan 30, 2009 3:30 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I, again, agree with everyone.  This forum is like the Cliff Notes of training. 

KS, hope the surgery went well.

It's too icy to go out out on the road, so I'll be in the pool later today.

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    217. Jan 30, 2009 8:34 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Thursday - Run 60 min. easy, basketball 90 min., walk 30 min for 3 hours.

Friday - Indoor track

40 minute warmup in progression form, then 1000 meters in the puke zone, 5 min. jog,

400 meters hard, 5 min. walk/jog, 200 meters all out, 5 min. walk/jog, 60 meters hard.

I probably ran that one too hard.

Dec 17, 2007
    218. Jan 30, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Yes, Ribz, the very hard workouts will probably get you injured at 50-60.

But, if a person knows that they are high in FT fibers, what are they suppose to do?

The workouts have to be geared to who you are, not to somebody's model of training for runners who

score high in ST fibers.

I'm running on the track with a 62 year old guy who won a 100k ultra when he was younger. Somewhere

down the road his workouts are going to be much different than mine, because his chemistry is

different.

Dec 17, 2007
    219. Jan 30, 2009 8:55 AM (in response to fred-urie)

That's the guy I run with. He has coached cross country at  least 2 universities in Canada.

Wednesday he said, " Forget your weaknesses; focus on your strengths."

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    220. Jan 30, 2009 10:36 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Today I thought I might run 3 miles because I had so little recovery time from yesterday's PM run. But, I felt pretty good and ran a very easy 5.1 at 6:30 this AM. If I'm able to run 3 miles out in the desert tomorrow, it'll be 32 for the week, up from 28 last week--it's been 28 or 29 for the last few weeks now, and my goal has been 35. So, I'm happy to be almost there. Sunday may be my every third week reduced mileage long run or I may have to take the day off if we're traveling back home. If so, the shorter long run (8 miles) will be on Monday or Tuesday.

Dec 14, 2007
    221. Jan 30, 2009 2:16 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Fred, you and others will breathe a sigh of relief to know I agree completely with that.  Despite all the "rules" of training, you have to run to your own body and what works and what you can endure.  When I was running sub-3 marathons, I ran mileage in the 70's and 80's per week, with an occasional tenK race or track workout.

3.6 at the park today with the dog, and same tomorrow.  January will be 110 miles.   Spareribs

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    222. Jan 30, 2009 5:11 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Another 7 miles on treadmill today.  16 Total for week,  65 for month.  Will begin next week with Yoglates two nights a week.

Dec 14, 2007
    223. Jan 31, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Posting late in the day today to make sure fred and Ksrunr didn't try to start up another argument with me.

3.5 with the dog, very slow, just to complete my 35, then light stretching session.  Trying for my first 10-miler tomorrow.  Spareribs

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    224. Jan 31, 2009 3:40 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Good luck on that 10-miler, Spare. Let us know how it goes. My first is on March 1.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...