Skip navigation

1937 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2009 12:11 AM by 70.3WTB RSS
70.3WTB Amateur 10 posts since
Nov 4, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2009 2:06 PM

heart rate to high

So what is the best workout to get my heart rate back down? I'm thinking sprints and speed workouts but not to sure. I had to slow my training down do to tightness in my chest and my HR started to go up. Lets say a 5 Mi. run put me at 160 avg. now is 170-175 avg. for the same time. What's up with that. I had a nuke stress test done. Other then a right bundle block (aka as RBB) all's well. I was told I would not just drop dead from the RBB. So, go run. I'm 50 and on average  run 12-15 mi., bike 45-60 mi.,and add 2-3 days swimming for tri season per week. Yes, I have a high MHR 190. Any input?

• trirunswim Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 1, 2009 6:00 PM (in response to 70.3WTB)
    Re: heart rate to high

Hello,

I would not take "tightness in my chest" lightly, if I was you I would definately follow up sooner than later with my cardiologist or primary doc. They will probably recommend a stress test even if you have had one recently.  Take care!

• doc.blews Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2008
    2. Jan 3, 2009 11:03 AM (in response to 70.3WTB)
    Re: heart rate to high

The tightness in your chest and high heart rate could be signs of developing ischemia in the heart--you could be essentially experiencing a "positive" treadmill stress test.  I'd definately go see your doctor sooner rather than later.  In the interim, how much caffeine do you drink?  If it's quite a bit, I'd suggest cutting it out of the diet completely as it can cause some of the symptoms you're describing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points