Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1758 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2009 5:10 AM by Ringo311 RSS
Slaphappy727 Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 2, 2009 1:31 PM

Why is it so much harder to run outside vs @ an indoor track?

Hi there!

I just moved from Michigan to Colorado in September. Before I moved, I was running 3x a week (3-4 miles each run). I had started running consistently in April 0f 08. Since I moved to Colorado, I got discouraged because it was so much harder to breathe (while running) because of the altitude. I started running again this past month but I've been running at an indoor track. It was like I had never stopped running; I felt great and my breathing was back to normal.

I just tried running outside and I about died. I ended up making it a ten minute run instead of half an hour. My chest hurt and my legs felt like a 100 lbs. Why am I having such a hard time?! Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks,

Sarah

• smellem Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008

Sarah--

Is the course you're running outside level? Or do you have hills? Even little ones. If the course outside is level and you're not running against a head wind or something, my best guess is maybe it's some sort of latent anxiety about the run. Here's what I mean: My guess would be that when you moved there in April and started running it was hard because of the elevation. So, you stopped. Now, you're back, but the venue (indoor track) of where you run is different so you feel different. When you went running again outside you might have expected the run to be harder based on your prior running experience after moving there and your body responded. I don't know, but that's my attempt at a guess. I had a similar experience when living in Montana. I ran a route I'd never ran before and it hurt...a lot. I tried it a couple of times and it always hurt. So a friend of mine suggested I run the loop in the other direction a couple of times. So, I did and it was easier (hills were longer, but not as steep). I decided the run wasn't all that bad and decided to run it the first way. Leaving my house I felt confident in the run and it didn't seem that hard anymore. I think I just had to beat the head games that I was playing.  Good luck

• smellem Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008

No worries Sarah. Keep me updated on the run. Good luck and have fun.

• Ringo311 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Cold air makes me breathe hard when im normally breathing warm air. Also, the big difference of running inside to outside is that outside surfaces are almost always harder (unless an indoor track is set on concrete). Harder surfaces are much harder are on your legs, which can cause the fatigue.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points