Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1040 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 3, 2009 8:04 AM by dfitz* RSS
ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
Jul 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 3, 2009 6:10 AM

Alternate exercise

I'm sidelined right now and the Doc says I can bike ride instead of running as long as I keep to relatively flat ground.  How are those recumbent bikes?  I've used the stationary ones at hotel gyms and liked it.  I have a "fat tire" bike that I am using right now - Anyone use the bike as an alternate to running?  How will this affect my running training when I'm allowed to run again?

To God be the glory!

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 3, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)
    Re: Alternate exercise

Hi -- Personally I don't see why a recumbent bike would be any better than your current bike if the injury is in your knee. It sounds like you don't need an indoor bike so your mountain (or commuter?) bike should provide a good cross-training option on flat terrain. I live in a cold climate and also have a mountain bike, so this year I bought an indoor bike trainer and mounted my bike on it for cross-training. I read advice on this discussion board that runners should pick a gear where you can pedal at a similar cadence than you run, rather than a low, slow, 'power' gear such as when climbing hills. I can still get my heart rate up and get a good workout doing that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...