Skip navigation

1516 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 10, 2009 8:19 AM by Joe_h1 RSS
speedsk8ter Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2009 5:12 AM

Starting Over

Hi...I'm new to the forum and this is the first time I've posted.  I am a 49 year old female.  All through my thirties (and into my early 40's) I was very hardcore.  I trained sometimes 300+ miles per week on the bike, Raced in centuries, shorter races, and sprint triathlons, speedskated marathons and shorter races, ran 10k's and shorter races and even worked as a Kayak & Mountain Bike guide.  I had decent success in most of my endeavors.  All this was done as hard as I could, all the time.  At about age 38, I had a major burnout on the bike, and that's when I started speedskating, and as usual, pushed the training to the max.  At age 42, I had some major abdominal surgery and it took me about a year to recover.  After recovery, two or three major skate crashes caused my training to be sporadic.   Tired of crashing on the skates, I switched back to Triathlon and competed in 3 sprint Triathlons at age 44-45.  After a particularly demoralizing race where I felt horrible (turned out I was getting the flu), I was burned out on Triathlon.  The point of all this?  Since that last Triathlon, I slowly started doing less & less of ANYTHING!  Once I stopped competing, I wasn't as interested in the exercise.  I am now facing my 50th Birthday this month, 30 pounds overweight and trying to get motivated to get back in the game (Triathlon specifically).  The trouble is that I am trying to compete with my old self and find it demoralizing.  When you used to be able to maintain a 19 mph average during a Century, and now 15 mph average for 10 miles is a challenge, how do you deal with that?  I'm very conflicted in that I want to be that fit & competetive again, but I remember how hard it was and how much it hurt , and I start to lose motovation!  Has anyone else dealt with this?  How do you tame that "competetive beast", yet still keep the motovation going?  How do you deal with the fact that at age 50, you may never be as fast as you once were?  Please don't beat up on me over this, I just would like to know if anyone else has gone through this and how they dealt with it.  Thanks!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 10, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to speedsk8ter)
    Re: Starting Over

Welcome back! you gotta focus on where you are now and try not compare yourself to your old times. try focus on the fun aspect of this at first and set realistic goals for now then after you get back into the groove you can get more aggressive (if you want to)

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points