Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1536 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2009 9:19 AM by Tri now and then RSS
gbranam Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2009 9:37 PM

Caloric intake management

Based on a some questions I answered a non-active person of my size should consume 2250 calories per day. Depending on my training I burn 1000-3200+ calories per workout. This means that I need to consume over 5000 calories per day to maintain my weight and more calories to make up the weight that I have recently unintentionally lost. Does anyone have any tips of what types of things I can eat to consume such large amounts of calories? I eat very healthy and usually try to eat about 6-8 times a day. I haven't had a problem, but recently stepped up my training and am not used to burning this many calories. Any help is greatly appreciated.

GB

GB
  • Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    1. Jan 20, 2009 4:00 AM (in response to gbranam)
    Re: Caloric intake management

I had a similar situation where I was losing weight and did not want to. I eat a lot of Power Bars and Power Bar Harvest Bars as well as protein shakes.  This is in addition to 3 or 4 healthy meals a day.

• Tri now and then Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 16, 2007
    2. Jan 29, 2009 9:19 AM (in response to gbranam)
    Re: Caloric intake management

The first thing I'd do is try to confirm some of your calorie info in different places - the 2250 for BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) sounds about right - but for the calorie burn for your workouts - well I know equipment and heart rate monitor can be all over the map - but if you're unintentionally losing weight, that certainly is a sign that you're not eating enough - or at least not eating enough calorie dense foods.

That's really what you want to focus on to gain - having things that are calorie dense - unfortunately for me, those are all the things I need to avoid, since I have quite the opposite problem.  But I can offer a few suggestions - as the other poster noted, energy bars can be a good source of a lot of calories - ones that won't necessarily fill you up, but that do taste good to you and have a good mix of carbs & protein to aid in your recovery.  The other thing would be to continue to get the necessary servings of fruit and veggies, but don't make them the majority of your diet (as I do in the attempt to lose). 

If you currently have staples in your diet that are 'light' or low fat, try to gradually change them out for higher calorie or full fat version - things like yogurt and cheese are healthy foods even in their full fat versions.  Peanut butter and nuts are VERY calorie dense and great nutritionally - just with a lot these I'd ease into them to help your body adjust so you can better tolerate any added fat.  Some soy products are also higher calorie, like edamame, and legumes too - again though, all that fiber can be tough for a runner to tolerate ...

Finally, think about 'drinking' some of  your calories - not necessarily with sweetened soda, but there's a lot of juice based drinks that tend to be very high calorie - even orange juice - I know this because I haven't had any for years!  That's about all I have to offer - I do know protein powders help body builders pack on the pounds, but other than that, check out runnersworld.com and their nutrition section - I'm sure they'll have some good resources too ...

with any luck maybe I'll lose my last 10 lbs and you'll find 'em!

mary lou

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...