Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1732 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2009 6:38 AM by sellisonm RSS
sellisonm Amateur 16 posts since
Jan 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 21, 2009 9:26 PM

Sports Massage vs. Swedish Massage

So kind off an odd question here, but I'm planning a vacation this Spring, treating myself to a spa/massage during the trip.  It's really my first massage since I've started running seriously, so I've been doing a little research on the 2 more common types of massages that seem to fit what I'm looking for; Sports (or deep tissue) massage vs. Swedish massage.

It looks like the Sports massage will be more geared to specific, deeper muscles, and more appropriate for athletes.  The Swedish appears to be more about overall relaxation.

So I'm torn.  I have a 10K scheduled a few weeks before the vacation, and will be starting training for a 1/2 (albeit later in the year).  At the same time, I'm on vacation... so the more relaxing and less 'technical' massage sounds excellent.  I'm probably answering my own question, but I guess it's going to depend on what I'm looking to get out of it.

I welcome opinions from anybody with experience with both, or anybody in the profession that would suggest one over another for any specific reason.  I figured if I'm going to throw down $100 for a massage, I owe it to myself to put some thought into this.

--------------------------------------------------

03/14/2009 - Silver Comet 10k   59:50

10/31/2009 - Silver Comet 1/2 Marathon   2:19:21

??/??/2010 - ??

??/??/2010 - ??

??/??/2010 - ??

??/??/2010 - ??

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Jan 21, 2009 10:04 PM (in response to sellisonm)
    Re: Sports Massage vs. Swedish Massage

I've only had three real massages in my life (all Swedish) from different people, 5 or 6 years ago.  It was fine, I guess, in a calm, pampering way and I can see how it would be great for people who are very stressed out, but I would have preferred something a little deeper that would work out some knots. I'm curious to see what recommendations you get. Maybe I'll try it again!

• RunJenJenRun Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    2. Feb 2, 2009 7:49 PM (in response to sellisonm)

get both, the throw down money is well worth it!  I loved them both!

Life is a journey... Be present... Run On...

• 3hungryelks Pro 104 posts since
    Oct 17, 2008
    3. Feb 5, 2009 6:12 AM (in response to sellisonm)

Maybe this will help a bit.  Sports massage can be used to target an injury, speed recovery post-event, ready muscles pre-event, help assess an injury or pain, increase range of motion.  Swedish massage is normally a full body massage.  Long flowing strokes are used, and the main goals are relaxation, increase in blood circulation and lymph flow.  In my practice, I do mostly therapeutic massage, trigger-point and deep tissue.  The folks who enjoy the Swedish are primarily looking for a relaxing and pampering experience.  You can ask for more details at the spa and they will probably be more than happy to answer more extensively.

I agree with the post who suggested having both modalities!  If you have to choose though, I would recommend the Sports massage.  With the training you are doing, you may be pleasantly surprised at the focus a Sports Massage Therapist can offer.  A word of advice, if you go for the Sports/deep tissue, see that your therapist checks in with you frequently; massage does not have to be painful to be effective.  Some people can take deeper pressure and that is what really works for them.  Others find that a more superficial touch is best.  The main goal is to end up feeling refreshed and well!

Good luck on your races sellisonm, and have a great time on your vacation!

~~

All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...