Skip navigation

8492 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2009 12:53 PM by billprice005 RSS
mvalenti Community Moderator 84 posts since
Jul 11, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 22, 2009 12:45 PM

What's on your outdoor calendar for 2009?

It's always fun to make a list and dream about all the things you want to do each year, even if you only tic off a few of the items. Rock climbing in France is on the top of my list this year. What's on the top of yours?

• VholdR Amateur 6 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008
    1. Feb 9, 2009 9:09 AM (in response to mvalenti)
    Re: What's on your outdoor calendar for 2009?

I guess I'll be the first to kick off this discussion! I can already check 'Snowboarding' in Utah off of my list and this March I'll be able to get 'Snowboarding in Sun Valley, ID' out of the way as well. Trying to decide with my buddy on weather to go to Colorado or Utah to hike this summer! Rock climbing in France! That's intense! Where in France exactly???

• VholdR Amateur 6 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008
    3. Feb 25, 2009 10:50 AM (in response to mvalenti)

Well we're still hashing that out. I was thinking about a week or so, but I'm not sure if I can take off that much work! So I'm going to and find a holiday weekend or something like that. Hopefully that will work better with my vacation days from work! I do believe we're leaning more towards Utah for the hiking trip though, so if you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them. That climbing trip in France sounds amazing. I've been there before, but just to sightsee. That's gotta be a great experience!

• lwk0904 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 11, 2009
    4. Mar 11, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to VholdR)

Depending on where you are considering for the hike ... you may want to shoot for Spring rather than Summer ... it gets quite hot in the desert.  There are some fantastic areas to explore and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

• George Scholl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 30, 2007
    5. Mar 20, 2009 7:14 AM (in response to mvalenti)

I've been training since Decemeber for the Fly Pig Marathon in Cincinnati OH. Got one month of training left before my cool down and the race. I'm really loking forward to this race because I am running with my best friend. This will be his 1st marathon and my 5th. I will take a couple month off of training, then start serious training aagin for the New York Marathon. I've been accepted to run that Marathon, so I'm super excited about that. In the middle of the Flying Pig and the NYC Marathon, I plan on biking the Bike trail that connects Pittsburgh and Washington DC (300+ miles). Did about 20 miles of it last year and it is a fantastic bike trail. Also loking forward to that. So this year is pretty well packed with adventure and excitement. Hope everyone has a great year and be safe. Just remember my training motto ... "Pain is Temporary, Pride is forever". Oh by the way I'm 54 and feel like 25.

• ManintheArena Community Moderator 109 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    6. May 6, 2009 4:24 PM (in response to mvalenti)

Between now and the end of June, I've got my hands full with planning, preparing and panicking for my wedding (just kidding about that last one...honest). Once the last glass of champagne is drunk and the thank you cards are sent, I just want to find a nice, quiet campground and sit with my feet up near a camp fire.

For me, outdoor adventure in 2009 means solitude (with the wife, of course) and no bookmark folders full of photographers, caterers, etc. or episodes of Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?

I'm thinking Joshua Tree or maybe Kings Canyon.

• Chaudy Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 17, 2008
    7. May 6, 2009 8:09 PM (in response to mvalenti)

This summer I am cycling cross county on the TransAmerica bike trail! I leave on May 23. Usually I am more of a runner/jogger, and ive been biking about 50 miles as many days of the week I can! I can not wait.......:):):)

• ManintheArena Community Moderator 109 posts since
    Jul 3, 2007
    8. May 7, 2009 9:25 AM (in response to Chaudy)

Sounds awesome, Chaudy! If you haven't already, be sure to sign up for the Adventure Cycling Association's newsletter, Bike Bits. It's twice-monthly and chock-full of good links and news about touring.

Here's where you subscribe: http://www.adventurecycling.org/bikebits/subscribe.cfm 

• BecuzIcan Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009
    9. Jun 11, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to mvalenti)

I am hoping to do some White Water Rafting for the first time! Everyone I talk seems to love it. Also add to my list climbing (read walking) the Grand Canyon.

• Matt Henry Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    10. Jun 11, 2009 4:18 PM (in response to mvalenti)

I just did the trans-Zion trek in Zion NP. It was a 51-mile through hike from one corner of the park to the other.

Too bad beer doesn't hydrate, or I'd put some Old Rasputin in my Camelbak.
  • billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    11. Jun 12, 2009 12:53 PM (in response to mvalenti)

I'm planning some white water kayaking on the Chattahoochee River in July.  We always go diving/snorkling in the Florida Keys also,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...