Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1252 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 29, 2009 9:07 AM by JoePaFan RSS
Chava308 Amateur 10 posts since
Oct 19, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2009 9:31 PM

The 800 Meters

Indoor Season is verly going to start and I am currently doing 2:20 in the 800 meters. In 3 months I want to do 2:04 minutes or sub so I can go to state in the 4x800

Any of you guys have some good training tips that you thought were key to your succes in the 800 meters?

I was doing 30 miles  a week with tempo runs but I am now starting to do 50 miles a week. Anyone have any suggestions. I am also doing core to help my abdomen. I weight 125 and I am a sophmore in Illinois.

-Thanks guys

Happy Running!

• JoePaFan Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jan 29, 2009 9:07 AM (in response to Chava308)
    Re: The 800 Meters

Naco-

First, Good Luck this year and its great you have a goal. Good to seek advise, as well. Where are the coaches? I am from IL. as well and the 4 bye is a premeir race downstate, so you'll need a sub-2:04 for the qual - and remember this is a relay - team work-outs are imperative, motivating, and good for the spirit.

Now - sounds like you are sticking to long run distance workouts and some core. You need to mix your workouts for optimal results, and that includes cross-training. Time is of the essence here so to start swimming might take awhile to get the results - try biking (spin?)  on a stationary. Running should incorporate speed workouts - hills- fartleks, tempo, and long runs. Just google em and they will explain if you are unfamiliar with these workouts. Diet and rest - you need to pay close attention as this can derail your efforts if you ignore em.

I don't know everything so it is just as important so seek advise whereevr you can. It helps to build a solid knowledge base. In addition, be careful not to overdo it or switch, willy-nilly, as you hear about new things. The good runner is a smart runner, first!

Again, good luck and I hope to see you downstate. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...