Skip navigation

6972 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2009 2:33 PM by MikeDaMarine08 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
Nov 19, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2009 8:39 AM

Shin Splints?

I know I should really know the answer to this question. Is RICE the only thing you can do for Shin Splints? I have had one in my right leg since last Thursday.  My trainer has me running on it anyway, but it isn't getting any better and I'm afriad of doing further damage. Is there a stretch of anything for the shin? I know the soleus stretch and calf stretch. Anything in specific I should be doing?

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    1. Jan 28, 2009 8:42 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)
    Re: Shin Splints?

runners world just had a taping method in it- i have no idea if it works or not. I have always found stretching and changing my running surface helps me. IE- trail run instead of road. Check out the last issue or the one  before that and give it a try. Good luck- heal quick!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,325 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jan 28, 2009 8:55 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Does it only bother you when you run? Slowing down a little can help. You may have just pushed the pace a little too soon. Stretching and strengthening help but are not a cure-all. I have used several of the exercises in the articles below. Some seem to have helped, some did not. I had the most success with the "Wall Shin Raises" from the "Sports Injusry Bulletin" site (second one).

EDIT: Also used "The Stick" on it and I think that helped too.

Web sites (in no particular order):

http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/education/shinpain.html

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0161.htm

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

http://www.watfxc.com/TF/TF%20Education/shin_splints.htm

Len

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    3. Jan 28, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

1st question when I don't know what causes my latest pain.

What's the condition of my shoes?   Old, new, worn, or something just not quite right with them.

I'll try a different pair and see if the problem stays the same, gets worse or gets better. 

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    4. Jan 28, 2009 9:08 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Shin splints (or similar) have been my most common issue, though I used to get them much more frequently before I became better about walking/stretching after a run. As for pre-run, I like to walk for 2-4 minutes before starting a run plus some very quick calf raises. Most of my stretching is after.

Why does your trainer have you running when you have shin splints?? A few days (2-8 depending on severity) of not running usually makes a huge difference for me. Sounds like cross-training time for a brief period.

(See also Len's & Steve's advise above.)

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    6. Jan 28, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Consider toe raises from the side of a step or the curb.  This strenthens the muscles in the front and counteracts the muscles on the back of the leg pushing forward.

• Lauren Loves Tasty Cakes... Legend 845 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Jan 28, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

1) This is one of the many reasons I dumped Steve.  He doesn't listen to you at all when you have legitimate concerns about a particular exercise.  And he refuses to take 10 minutes to think about your workout in advance to come up with other effective workouts that work around an issue.

2) You are on the comeback trail.  YOU HAD ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS RUNNING A TEN MINUTE MILE THE OTHER DAY.  You just can't go from 12 minutes to 10 minutes.  THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE SHIN SPLINTS.  Sorry to sound like your Mom.  But if I have to be reasonable and run slow - so do you.

3) I have to work 1 to 10, so I can't continue to yell at you.  Behave.

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    10. Jan 28, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

Why can't you run outside if you take it easy and run on a stable surface? I think it is best to mix it up and not always run on the treadmill.

Treadmills tend to be a bit unstable. They can wobble a bit. Depending on your cadence, which will vary with your speed, treadmills have resonances that come and go. Think about when you run across a seemingly solid concrete bridge and it tends to bounce up and down even though it is heavy and massive.  The lack of stability, even if it is slight,  can cause stress (and build strength) because you're trying to maintain balance on a basically unstable surface.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

Holly... I think everyone is onto something. Shoes are probably a problem, and I think Lauren might be right that a huge increase in speed is too much too soon, particularly coming back from an injury. Also, when I had shin splint problems, there was a website that Len showed me, which I don't think was here. The most beneficial exercise was to stand with my butt and back against a wall. Put one leg forward so that the heel is about the length of one foot from the wall. Raise your toes towards your shin slowly 20 times and then do quicker "pulses" for another 20 times or so. Switch legs and repeat. Those suckers took care of my shin pain almost immediately. Taping also worked really well for me. I'd leave it taped when I was at home and lounging around. RICE and sticking it never worked for me, but we're all different. I hope you feel better soon!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,325 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Jan 28, 2009 10:07 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat, those are the "Wall Shin Raises" I mentioned in my earlier posts as helping me.

Now I'm just curious. When I do toe raises, I feel it in the calf, not the shin. Do other people feel like it works the shins?

Len

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points