Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21815 Views 195 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 5:29 PM by Imgellin Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Previous Next
  • SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Feb 19, 2009 7:11 PM (in response to Imgellin)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Paul, I've never camped and run a race so it will be an interesting experience. I sleep better on the ground than I do at home. I sleep well in unfamiliar places too. That's an interesting idea: that the enhancement of dreams is connected to performance. I don't think you're too far afield. I don't know if there is a connection but both my husband and I have had heightened dreams in the wilderness. It's one of the things I've come to expect when we're camped in a remote place. You feel refreshed when you sleep (and dream) that deeply, so perhaps there is a connection.

Sorry you still have problems with blisters. Are you planning on running a marathon? I think there was a conversation here recently about Asics--it's the only shoe I've worn for many years (the 2140). If this shoe radically changed, I'd be in trouble. Have you tried them?

Yesterday was 9 (more than I had planned) at an easy pace . Today was a slow 4.5 miles (really slow, felt even slower than it actually was). The next two days will be 7 or so miles combined--(34 for the week) -I should be rested then to go for a long run Sunday.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    136. Feb 20, 2009 6:18 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - how was your Thursday run?  I might have kept up with you that day at your "slow" pace.

10 miles in the hills today.  47° with slightest wind.  marathon pace + 25-30 secs. and it was comfortable.  1:13:51

Tigger??

Have a good one.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    137. Feb 20, 2009 11:40 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I too popped in to see if we had heard from Tigger.  Hope we didn't scare him or **** him off.

4.5 slow recovery miles with the dog, after a 9-miler yesterday.  Five tomorrow gives me another 40-mile week, but I'll see if I just want to do a short jog instead as I would like to run long on Sunday.

Imgellin and Sierra, let me offer my two cents on this camping thing before a race.  Whether that directly affected your race performance Paul, or not, there are a couple of things worth considering.  First is that you needn't take a day off the day before a race.  If you want a day off, take it two days before the race.  You can always run short the day before a race, but if you do remember to stay off your feet the rest of the day.  In other words, don't mow the lawn, get on a ladder and paint the house etc.  The elite Kenyan runners do absolutely nothing on the day before a race.  They lie on a couch; that's it.  Could it be that when you were camping, there was nothing else to do, so you relaxed a bit?

I rotate 9 pairs of shoes, all kinds of brands, and I do it on purpose so that the variety gives my foot a different feel and I don't risk redundancy injuries.  I have no idea what is causing all these blisters for you Paul and hope you get that resolved.

KS, you are running great.  Hang in there.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    138. Feb 20, 2009 1:28 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul - Ribs makes a good point about shoes.  I can't afford 9 pairs but I do rotate 2 pair at a time.   Have you changed models or brands of shoes?   Even different socks make a difference to me.   Are you lacing them looser or tighter than usualll?  Something has to have changed to start getting blisters.

• Imgellin Legend 515 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    139. Feb 20, 2009 2:25 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks Ribs and Runr. Well, it is kind of crazy:

I got blisters under the arches (primarily on the right) with the Saucony Ride 5 (neutral shoe) with the stock insoles, and when I took the stock insoles out and put in Spenco Walker/Runners I got the same blisters, but not as badly and only when I ran further.

This happened with both the Wright Racer sock and the Balega crew sock.

So, I  bought and tried a new neutral shoe, the Reebok Premier Ultra KFS V. Same result.

Years ago, when I ran maybe 4 or five times in the summer and then gave it up for the rest of the year, I had the Original Saucony Omni. From what I remember, it worked out well. So.., after the Reeboks failing me, I went ahead and bought a pair of Saucony Omni 4's (ultimate control).  No blisters or abrasion under the arches what-so-ever! But my first time out with them was a 9.3 mile run and they gave me blisters on the top (not tip) of my right smallest toe and the medial side of my heel.

I have, as-a-rule, never laced the uppermost lace-holes on my running shoes. I plan on lacing these top holes to see if that will control movement of the heel on the Omnis, hoping that will take care of the blister there. When I put on the Omnis, I can definitely feel something rubbing on my right smallest toe that is absent on my left foot. Tonight, I have stuffed a face-cloth into the toe-box of the Omnis, and then wet the shoe from the outside, hoiping it will stretch it away from my toe. I do not know if this will work.

So, as strange as it sounds, I am rotating between shoes that 1.) give me blisters under the arch and 2.) give me blisters on toe and inside of heel. I do not know how long I can keep this up. Either my feet will toughen.., or infect.

Money is an issue, otherwise I'd pick up five pair today from different manufacturers. My feet are by no means unusual, by the way. Oh, and I had these Ride5's suggested to me and I bought them at a dedicated running store, so don't believe the hype about all running stores being loaded with totally professional, experienced people. They just stood around comatose and asked me if I tried using insoles.

I'll have to shell out another hundered bucks and try the Brooks Defyance, which felt soft. If I buy them and run my 9.3 in them, and they give me blisters, is it ethical for me to ask to return them? I'm just wondering. I'm new at all this.

Jul 13, 2008
    140. Feb 20, 2009 2:32 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

Hi Lauren. It is good to hear that you and your husband have benefitted from the outdoors.

To answer your question: Yes. I am training for the Indianapolis Marathon on Oct 17. Well, I am just building a mileage-base right now.

The Asics shoes I see plenty of at the races I have run, but I not really familiar with them. I'll try to remember that number: 2140.

You mention, here, running on consecutive days. It seems that several people on this list run on consecutive days. Do you feel that is more beneficial for you than alternating with rest days?

Dec 14, 2007
    141. Feb 21, 2009 5:49 AM (in response to fred-urie)

If it is possible for the runner to run every day, then he should allocate his weekly miles in such a way that he runs every day but has built in recovery runs, slow and not long at all.  If you hit a day when you just don't have it, turn around and go home, but always go out there.  The good runners never plan a day off, but they take them when one is needed.

Regarding the blisters Paul, an inexpensive and worthy alternative to all these different shoes and inserts is simply Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.  Slab a big gob of it right on the area that generally gets a blister before putting your sock on over it, and Bob's your uncle.   Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    142. Feb 21, 2009 6:13 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

That is good news, Spareribs: I would like very much to run every day. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and while I'm drinking my coffee, I realize, "Oh no. Today is an off day. Darn it!" Right now, though, the 9.3-mile runs are tuckering me out real well, so I'll keep skipping a day for the time-being. I'll know when the time is right to alternate like you said, between hard and easy runs. As a newish runner, one thing I find difficult to do, though, is manipulate my pace (speed). I'll need some kind of technique to remind me to go slow sometimes.

Just a lubricant-based question: Does Body Glide prevent blisters?

Thanks Guys & Gals,

Paul

Dec 31, 2008
    143. Feb 21, 2009 8:45 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I agree overall with what Spareribs says about running daily, Paul. I think "if you're able to" is important. Some runners may be struggling with an injury. But, I think running daily should be the goal. I think it's good to have one rest day a week, even if on that day you do some other exercise. There are others, though, who do fine without that day off. But consistency is important in running--too few days a week and conditioning suffers. So, a runner should make running a daily part of his or her routine, a daily habit, as Spareribs says. Sometimes you can have the best runs when you feel terrible in the first half mile. It usually takes two or three miles to warm up.

I've talked with several people who like to run but do it very inconsistently (less than every other dayperhaps once or twice a week or less). So, then, when they go out for a run, it's real work every time because they're not consistent with running. Then they get discouraged and take more days off because they feel they need to recover, but it never gets any easier for them because they're not consistent. When you run daily, you build up endurancerunning is easier and more enjoyable. I think the best thing to do is not think too much about going out for a run--just put on the shoes and go. You become better at something when you practice it.

Paul, to add my two cents worth about running the day after a long run. It can feel better than you'd think to go out for a few easy miles the day after a long run---I've often felt pretty good, better than I thought I would. I think it helps, too, to work out the lactic acid build up in your muscles from a long or fast run to run the next day at an easy pace.

Message was edited by: SierraLauren--to correct some typos

Aug 14, 2007
    144. Feb 21, 2009 8:12 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I run 7 days a week during marathon training just to get the mileage I need.   Once in a while a take a day off.  Tomorrow is the day.  2 weeks now @ 86 miles or over.   21 miles today at 8:15 pace.  Too slow but had 2 training partners for 15 and then 6 by myself.   Was glad to trade a bit slower pace for company today.   70° with a few shower/sprinkle/mists thrown in for fun.

I use body glide in personal areas and under arms especially on long runs.   I would use it on my feet if I had blister problems.  At least I would try it a few times.  Still think your shoes aren't fitting you right.  I'm fortunate that I have the owner of a local fleet feet store who knows what he's doing and he will order me shoes that he won't stock for the public.

Hi ya Ribs and Sierra.

Dec 14, 2007
    145. Feb 21, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I no sooner post that a runner should make an effort to run every day, than I see on Kick that KS is taking tomorrow off, so I rush over here to see if he is going to give me some lip about it.  KS, you sure are racking up some big weeks.

I really enjoyed Ron Daws' quote of Arthur Rubinstein, the pianist, on the subject of days off.  Rubinstein said, "When I take a day off from practice, I can tell.  When I take two days off, the audience can tell."

Yes, Body Glide will do the job, but for the bottom of the foot, you might try Vaseline first.  Oddly enough, it makes no mess at all.  Slap it on, put the sock on over it and go.

5 slow at the park today for me, followed by my regular stretch routine at the Y.  I now have back-to-back 40-mile weeks, but this next week is a busy travel week for me and I won't be able to get in another one. It's a good week for cutting back anyway.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    146. Feb 21, 2009 12:07 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribs - you know I would never give you any lip.  I bow to your age and experience.   I'd heard that quote before but didn't know who the pianist was that said it.   I haven't had a day off running now for 3-4 weeks.  Just need to relax one day.

Vaseline for the feet is probably better than glide.  I don't like vaseline anywhere else however.

Dec 14, 2007
    147. Feb 21, 2009 12:57 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Ks, my last day off was January 8th.    Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    148. Feb 21, 2009 1:38 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I ran 9.3 miles again today. 30 degrees, 20 mph wind. The ice-boaters on the lake seemed to be enjoying that wind! I covered my problem areas with Band-Aid brand adhesives:| and medical tape, and the Omnis seemed to work out okay! I'll keep trying to stretch the lateral side of the right toe box. I used just the stock insoles this time, because I figured the Spenco's height might have been jamming my toe up into the upper of the shoe.

Anyway, the Spencos did not prevent blisters on runs over 6 miles in my Rides, so they are basically trash.

Other than that, the only undesireable part of the run was tight hip flexors. I stretch them real good on my off days, too, so I don't know what else I can do. Maybe they will soften up when the weather gets warmer. I believe they will.

Lauren, thanks for your message about when and if I should run every day. I really appreciate the coaching! Thanks KS and Spareribs and Fred, too. You all seem to be in an elevated league compared to me. I'll try to heed your advice.

Dec 31, 2008
    149. Feb 21, 2009 3:17 PM (in response to Imgellin)

I have to mention the pleasure of good socks, as KS says, they make a difference. I have a drawer of ratty socks that I've always thought work well enough, never mind that they feel like I'm wearing scouring pads. Then, a few weeks ago, I picked up new socks at a local running store. They're soft, plush really. I do feel better with them on, and always wear them on the long run. Now, I'll never go back.

Multiple shoes is an interesting idea, Spareribs. I also have two good pair and trade them off. Years ago I wore only Nikeuntil they no longer felt as good. I tried New Balance once but the fit wasn't right.

4 miles yesterday and 3 and half today, both easy, for an even 35 this week.. Felt pretty good both days. A 10 or more mile run tomorrow. I have a work trip upcoming too, Spareribs. I have to travel for work for a week in early March, so I'd like to maintain the 35 a week if I can for the next two weeks before I go. I know I won't get in as many miles that week as well. The trip is in Arlington, VA and I found out there's a great running pathway right outside the hotel, so that's a plus. Traveling just throws a wrench into long run plans--I'm traveling up and back on a Sunday, and it will take most of the day.

Good for you, Paul, on the 9.3 pain free from blisters run.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...