Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21436 Views 195 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 5:29 PM by Imgellin Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Feb 22, 2009 6:51 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Just checking in and still not running. 

Seeing a doctor isn't an option, as it would not be anyone who knows me or knows running.  There are a couple of sports physios in town but they are very busy.

Right leg is feeling better but I can still feel discomfort when I stretch out flat on my back on the floor.  It radiates from my hip down my leg and seems concentrated around the tendons in the back of the knee and on the right side of my calf muscle....about mid calf.  Yesterday I went for a short walk on the TM and managed a mile in about 28 min.  Later in the day I did another walk but a bit longer.

I continue to stretch, and it seems to be helping.   Maybe back to running in another week or two.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work everyone!

Fred, I see the Canadian street hockey championships are in your town.  Stay out of the way of flying horse apples on your run!!

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    151. Feb 22, 2009 7:18 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

The sock-tip is appreciated, Lauren. I certainly need some new ones. What kind of socks do you use? ...and how long does it take for you to run a pair out? I think I will try several different types. I just bought six pair of the Medafit blister-resistant. I don't know if anyone here has heard of them.

I hope you have a great run on your trip.

Paul

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    152. Feb 22, 2009 11:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul, I always feel like such a dummy when I walk around the house with socks that say "L" and "R" on them, but whatever the brand, I love them, as they are of course form-fitting.

Fred and Tigger, I haven't seen anyone in hockey who lights me up like that winger for the Caps.  This week they showed a replay of his goal agains the Canadiens and it defied belief.

Sierra, I hope you get a bit of time in Arlington.  National Cemetery is there and it is worth it to see JFK's gravesite.  The Iwo Jima Memorial is also at the base of the hill, and that is where the Marine Corps Marathon starts.  There is a lot to see there.  Also, you are right about planning cutback weeks around work travel.  Mine comes up this week.  Unfortunately, there is not much for me to see in Sioux City, IA.

12 bouncy miles for me today at 9:50 pace, but I felt good and ran the last mile in at 8:25.  I wished I had started this pace sooner as it felt pretty good but I was running with my wife who did not have as enjoyable a day.  This was my first attempt at a 12.  Slowly but surely!

Paul, there are runners here who are super fast, but there are no better runners than you are.  One aspect of this site is that it has always been supportive to all runners who are interested in doing better.  Fred has created a great atmosphere here.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    153. Feb 22, 2009 3:20 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

About those wonderful socks, I can't find them just now but I can't remember the brandGal Bla or something like that. That sounds funny, so that's probably not it. They have a pink trim but they had men's socks in the same brand as well. They're so soft that I feel like my feet are being massaged when I run. The other socks I have that I like are very lightI brought them to Eastern Europe when I wanted to bring only a carry on bag for a three week trip a couple of years ago. They dry quickly, so I could wash and wear the same pair. They're very fitted and feel good on as well.

Spareribs, I think you and I are on the same schedule. Today was also a 12 mile run for me but it didn't go as well as yoursmy legs became very tired at 9 miles. I didn't drink enough water before I started, so I got pretty thirsty at that point too. Nothing too bad, but I noticed the thirst those last three miles. It was a beautiful run along the Ventura County coast and that helpedup to the 9 mile point I felt pretty good. The time was 2:08:15. Congrats for your sub 10 minute 12 miles.

I'm taking an extra day and a half while I'm in Arlington, and I planned to drive south to see Monticello. I loved the book John Adams, and I'm interested in Lewis and Clark (and that whole period). I believe Monticello displays some of the goods that Lewis brought back, but it could be they are in the Smithsonian. I'd like to see Arlington National Cemetery,and will try to go there, perhaps after one of our sessions finishes up. I'd also like to see the Civil War battlefield near there--Bull Run, or Manassas, I think, but don't know if I'll have the time. Thanks for the suggestions. I imagine there's not much in Sioux City, especially in the winter.

And, Paul, ditto to what Spareribs said.

Take care all.

PS: Bal Ga! That's the name of the soft socks. (That's an even funnier name than the one I got wrong)

Jul 13, 2008
    154. Feb 22, 2009 4:52 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs, I'll look for those coded hose. Are you saying that you wear your running socks around the house?

12 miles is quite a long way to run. Do you use a heart-rate monitor?

I appreciate your comment about us all being supportive of one-another. Once I get to understand other people's capabilities and routines, I will be able to comment with more pertanence and insight. I am mainly asking questions right now, I think.

It is good to be with you people.

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    155. Feb 22, 2009 4:59 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

Lauren, I have a pair of the Balega, too. They are indeed soft. They did not prevent blisters for me, though, so apparently, it is not neccesarily the socks by themselves that is my problem. Maybe the skin on my feet is very soft? Is that even possible? I have very sensitive skin.

Paul

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    156. Feb 23, 2009 4:17 AM (in response to Imgellin)

This week will mirror the last one.  3 days of 30 minutes on the road.  4 hours of pool running including one 2 hour long session.  Yoga and core work.

Tigger, seeing someone might be better than nothing at all.  You may be pleasantly surprised. 

Paul, I had egg yolk size blisters on my arches a couple of summers ago.  I think socks were the culprit.  Balega makes a very thin wool sock that I wish someone would give me a dozen of.  Has anyone looked at your feet and evaluated your stride?  My husband has very flat feet, but does best in a stability shoe, Fred's favorite, with a little bit of an arch build.  Most people would look at his feet, not running, and put him in a motion control shoe.  Watching him run proves the need for something different.  I think you have to consider both factors when choosing shoes.  Also, have you tried shoes in a width or ones with a wider toe box?  FWIW, I wouldn't do a 9 mile run in new shoes.  Take them for a spin on a treadmill.  I've returned shoes that have not been worn on the street. 

It's always good to read about all the training and planned races.  You will never see the words "race" and "camp" in any post of mine!  More power to any of you who can manage that!

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    157. Feb 23, 2009 6:07 AM (in response to euphoric)

Euphoric, I'm seeing someone, but she's not a doctor!  She gives me the same advice everyone else is giving me!  What I really really need is a break for a few months to let my body heal itself.  I am going to give it that break.

Went for a 40 min walk yesterday.  No issues.

PS - Luckily I have never had problems with socks or blisters.  I have some with R and L on them, but mainly for XC skiing.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    161. Feb 23, 2009 6:16 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Slogged through 2.4 very slow recovery miles, but that is how it ought to be.  Worst thing would be to take that day off.  Tomorrow I must take the day off, but given my choice of which day to take off, I would never take the day off after a LR or a hard run.  This is important to remember.

I'm in Sioux City, IA now.  The people here are excited that tomorrow it will be in the 50's.  I haven't the heart to tell them that's what we're averaging now in TX.  It's pretty much springtime for us now, very mild.   Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    162. Feb 24, 2009 4:27 AM (in response to euphoric)

Lauren,

The running store person watched me 1.) walk in  the store and 2.) run for a bit outside (maybe more for my benefit than hers). She did not look at my feet. I brought the shoes back when another person was working and he said my feet were not wide when I asked him. He did not ask to look at the soles. I think the width of my feet might have something to do with my blisters. Feet swell when you run, right?

I'll get this figured out. Thanks again for the help. Fred, thanks for the tip on the Benzoin gum.

I skipped monday's run and will run wednesday instead. Monday was 30 degrees and 35 mph winds. Gusts up to 45-47. It snowed the night before. I love running, but I don't need to emulate admiral Shackleton.:_|

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    163. Feb 24, 2009 4:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

"Beyond the physical demands, Mahon said, it was apparent Hall had to develop even more mental strength. He had shown such toughness in domestic events such as the Trials. Now he had to take the next step, to do so in major international races."

I was wondering if anyone could offer some perspective on this phenomenon of  "mental toughness". I honestly do not know what it is supposed to be. Is it the ability to train or race while injured or sick? Is it the ability to plan a training or race strategy and stick to it?

Paul

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    164. Feb 24, 2009 5:10 AM (in response to Imgellin)

Paul, you need a little room in the toe box and the shoe shouldn't feel too tight when you take them for a practice jog. Nor too loose, either. Your feet do expand a bit when you run. Euphoric had a good suggestion about trying them out on a treadmill. I've had more problems with blisters and hiking boots.If a shoe is too loose,  it'll rub against your foot, causing blisters.  Too tight, and blisters will also result.  The vaseline and Fred's idea sound like they may work.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...