Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20824 Views 195 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 5:29 PM by Imgellin RSS Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    167. Feb 24, 2009 12:43 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Fred, thank you for those examples. At least it is clearer to me what the author meant when he wrote of "mental toughness". This has me confused, though: It seems that most everything I have read about training has taken a very analytic, systematic, even scientific approach. It seems there must be a balance struck somewhere. I guess it is the old question of:  "Where does bravery become stupidity?" One of the lessons I seek to learn are what my limitations are. Another is what my potential is. These are the counter-forces that if integrated, can instruct and build.

*                                                                                Paul

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    168. Feb 24, 2009 1:21 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks for the videos Fred.   Love that video.   I train with a 30-34 y.o. who is the toughest mental competitor that I have ever raced and trained with.   When he is about to explode he digs down and runs faster.   When he does blow up; it's big time because he's given it his all.

This is one of the most fascinating parts of our sport.   How far/fast can we get?  How far/fast can we push ourselves?.   How willing are we to be the best that we can be?  Are we willing to run 1000-1200 miles in 18 weeks just to race 26.2?   Or are we satisfied with just completing the course?   I have more drive now at 54 than I did in high school and college but have reduced potential.   But when I see masters running 1:08 1/2 marathons; I think why can't I do that?  What do I need to change to be competitive with that guy?   (How could I beat Fred in a mile race?);)

Mental toughness is natural to some but must be learned by others.  I believe it can be learned by overcoming pain, tradition, low expectations, and just plain hard work.  Will I ever be the best in the world?  Nope, but I'll lace 'em up with anyone.

Jul 13, 2008
    169. Feb 24, 2009 2:17 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Well, I push myself harder than I should and give it 100% every time I go out. That's good enough for me. I'm huffing and puffing at the end of the race and giving it twice what some other runners are. I was the same way when I was 18. Mentally tough? I don't know about that. I just have a switch on my back that says "off" and "on".:p

Quote of the day: "We're not mental or nuthin'..."

-Wayne Campbell groveling in front of Alice Cooper-

Aug 14, 2007
    170. Feb 24, 2009 5:08 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Imgellin - we had a humorous discussion of this issue on another board.  The question was: "How do you know you have "IT"?    "It" is tough to define but sounds to me like you have "it".

Aug 14, 2007
    171. Feb 25, 2009 6:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)

ksrunr1 - ran 14 miles of hills tihs morning

ksrunr2 - good job ksrunr1

ksrunr1 - thanks ksrunr2; where is everyone else?

ksrunr2 - I dunno; probably with Ribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    172. Feb 25, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to ksrunr)

ksrunrs 1 & 2, I've been running my "not every day" prescribed distance and thinking about some of the dialogue here.

Aug 14, 2007
    174. Feb 25, 2009 9:32 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Euphoric - I thought I had run everyone off and was getting lonely.

Fred - I'll be watching to know what your puke zone is.  Please keep us advised.

Jul 13, 2008
    177. Feb 25, 2009 12:09 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran 9.3 miles today. My hip flexors were a little tight and I did not break any records, but those are to be expected, since I took monday off.

Did anyone else's speed decrease during the first winter that they ran? I do not believe that my body has had the chance to be truly warm while outside, since october. (I tend to dress a little heavy, too.) I hope this is something that my body can eventually acclimate itself too, but right now, it is a shock.

Paul

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    178. Feb 25, 2009 12:10 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi everyone! I have been a lurker for a long time now, but felt impelled to join the discussion, hope you don't mind.

I guess an introduction is in order: my name is Simon, I live in Newmarket, just north of Toronto, been running 2 years and 6 months, just turned 58, so eligible as far as age goes!  (I know some of you from RA, as well as here.)

I wanted to thank Fred for posting the great videos, and a previous one, many months ago, of Ryan Hall training at altitude, such fluid motion, beautiful to watch.

As my own runnning gradually progresses I am more and more impressed by some of the outstanding athletes in this group; in fact a bit intimidated-that's why I haveconfined most of my posts to the "newbies"  area.Anyway, I hope I can contribute a little from time to time, thank you for all I have already learned from following the discussion.

Aug 14, 2007
    179. Feb 25, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to SimonnR)

Welcome SimonnR to our eccentric little world.  Who are you on RA?   Post often, I get lonely over here from time to time.

ks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...