Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20702 Views 195 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2009 5:29 PM by Imgellin RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 31, 2009 8:38 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Jan. 31 - Run 60 minutes slow, walk 80 minutes.

Today Cecil showed me how to do Trigger Point Therapy on my back.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Jan 31, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - February

Fred, is 61 the age limit where you live?   I don't want to live there then. 

18 miles this morning in a perfect day in CC.  40° and not a hint of wind.   Started at 6:15 and got to see the sunrise over the bay and sailboats docked downtown.  8:08 pace just putting in the miles.   Also include a 4 mile loop to start over the harbor bridge and back.

Spring is coming.  Hang in there you yanks.

Rich, let us know what's up.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Jan 31, 2009 11:16 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Happy birthday, Fred!

KS, nice 18 + 4.

As I needed to test a "windproof" fabric, I did go out for a breezy run yesterday afternoon.  After about 30 minutes I decided there was no truth in advertising.  75 minutes of pool running followed by another 30 minute run this morning, 17 degrees.

Enjoy your weekends!  We're out with some fun runners and cyclists this evening. 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    4. Jan 31, 2009 1:10 PM (in response to euphoric)

Fred, happy birthday!

ks, thanks for asking.  I'm still getting in a few miles skiing, but that's about it.  Work's keeping me busy and my heel's still a pain, but life's good.

Friday & Saturday were both 4 miles on XC skis...

Bear with me, I'm still checking in but don't have much to add just yet...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    5. Jan 31, 2009 5:01 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Fred - Happy Birthday!

KS - This yankee can't wait til Spring!  Cabin fever bigtime!

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    6. Feb 1, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Happy Birthday Fred!!!!  How do you do therapy on your back?  I can barely reach mine.

30 minutes of swimming

35 minutes of running

I am tired, that's enough

I managed to run 82 miles the month of January...the most in a very long time

Happy Heart Anniversary to you Mr. Ribs 

Good day and good runs everyone

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    7. Feb 2, 2009 5:31 AM (in response to runningindc)

Ribs, sounds like you had a good 10 mile run at the end of January.

KS, seeing the boats docked at dawn while on your run is a nice image.

Happy birthday, Fred.

Congratulations runnininDC for your good January running month.

I ended up doing 4 miles in the desert on Saturday--we were in a hilly spot and I didn't want to venture too far from our vehicle (I was minding the camp while my husband took our dog for an all day hike), so it was a slow run, stop, slow run again, stop, up and down the same few roads. It was great to have a Garmin watch out there; I've always had to guess (mostly inaccurately, I think) when I run in the desert. I walked another mile and a half after that. December rains had brought out a carpet of tiny pink flowers and a green mat. We were in the El Paso Mountains on the Burro Schmidt Mine Road, camped on a ridgetop with beautiful hills all around; I'm glad I ran Saturday, as Sunday a gale blew up in the morning. So, it was 33 running miles for the week. No run Sunday. Not sure what I'm going to do today.

Have a good start to your running week everyone.

• romanzewsi Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    8. Feb 2, 2009 5:33 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

Fred - Happy Birthday!

blog
    Aug 14, 2007
    9. Feb 2, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to romanzewsi)

Fred - did you survive turning 61?   Hope you had a good day.

Ribs - congrats on the first double digit run.  Sorry you and the saint won't get to meet dw at Ft. Worth.

6 mile progression run this morning.  1st mile as warmup 8:56 and last mile 6:04 ish.    57 degrees and 21 mph winds.   Was 78 and hot Sunday but suppose to cool off again tonight.

Good game last night.   Could have gone either way.

Aug 14, 2007
    10. Feb 2, 2009 2:31 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks for the vicarious pleasure I got from reading about your warm weather and desert runs!

2 hours of DWR yesterday followed by 30 minutes of stretching.  I awoke with NO pain today and decided to take the morning off since I have a commitment to run in the pool tonight.  

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Feb 2, 2009 2:54 PM (in response to euphoric)

Sorry I missed your b'day yesterday Fred, and hope that it was a good day for you.  This is also a good time to thank you for the great contributions you make here in the form of advice and interesting articles.  This is the only site of its kind.  There is an interesting balance here between simply posting a workout, asking a question or volunteering an opinion, and finally, getting to know a bit about other people without it being a big gabfest.

After yesterday's effort, of course today was just a short, slow recovery run.  I did 3.3 on the dirt in 10:15's and felt fine.  Afterwards I went to the Y and did a full stretch and core workout.  Euphie, I have not had a bit of pain from my butt injury, but of course I can feel it there when I sit or stand up in a certain way but it is clearly healing.

In all of my core workout exercises, I have found one that has been particularly helpful because the repetition of it causes the glute muscle to actually fail, after about 30 repetitions.  I have never seen anyone else use this and suggest it here for anyone having any butt pain at all.  The reason I am positioning it in this way is that generally speaking, when the PT works with you to heal an injury, he or she will focus on muscles that surround the injured muscle to strengthen them.  Try this one:

Stand 26" away from a wall on your left foot.  Now reach with your right hand to a spot on the wall that is 26" high from the floor.  Of couse you will have to dip the left leg to do this.  Repeat this 20 times or so, touching the wall with the hand opposite the dipping leg.  Then repeat with the other leg.  I do this now about 30 times, after I am done with a bunch of exercises and I can feel the "burn" in the glute of the dipping leg.  It seems so easy, but at some point the leg quivers and you are tempted to cave the knee inward to support yourself.  When this happens you have lost form and must quit.  Each week, aim for a spot on the wall one inch lower, maintaining the same distance away from the wall.  I attribute this one exercise to helping to strengthen the butt muscles and help me heal.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    12. Feb 3, 2009 5:02 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, I'll add that one to the mix.  It's similar to one of the strength and balance exercises I do standing on one foot and bending forward with a weighted ball.  My pts, all runners, take lots into consideration including gait analysis.  We've been working on conditioning and form along with fixing the problem.

I was out for 30 minutes today on refrozen streets and sidewalks.  It felt great.  I also did an hour, including 30 minutes of "speed work" in the pool last night.

Aug 14, 2007
    13. Feb 3, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to euphoric)

All the threads recently have been addressing the fact that we need to have slow recovery run days.  hmmm.   So I call my training partner last night and tell him nothing over 8:30 miles.   He complains but agrees.  So we start out in 37 degree sunrise weather and slightest of  breeze.   Look down at the Garmin after 1st .25 and am running about 8:45; perfect.  At the mile it clocks 8:15.  Carp.   So the balance of the run I'm looking down and seeing 7:30's  7:15 etc.  I keep readjusting the pace down.   Still end up with a 7:59 pace for 8 miles.     Ribz you beat on me all you want; it's hard to run 8:30's and 9 min miles.  

Anyway; it's going to be a picture perfect day in CC.   wind is suppose to come in this weekend and high morning temps which will affect my 10k race.   Still going to go for it.

Have good one all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Feb 3, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to ksrunr)

KS, I think it's hard to "target" a specific recovery pace.  You have to find out what "slow" feels like for you, and that's the pace.  I would guess it would be hard to find it when running with a partner.  I know of no two people who can run slow together.  There is a natural tendency for one person to pick it up a bit and then the other one goes along.

Euphie, the instructor at the Y, after I had shown her my exercise, came back the next day with one like yours.  She picked a 15-lb. dumbbell off the floor as she dipped on one leg, then brought it up again out front.  Tough exercise for me.

5 miles with my wife at the park.  I will do another 35 this week, holding at this mileage for most of February.  I won't bump it up until I see that my total time for the 35 has decreased.  Then I will know I am comfortable to move up.  I think that's a good way to do it; anyway that's my plan.   Spareribs

1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...