Skip navigation

20194 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2010 2:41 PM by YAMO! RSS
Billiken on the Run Pro 135 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2009 10:58 AM

Total Immersion book/DVD

Is the Total Immersion DVD a worthwhile purchase? I've just about convinced myself to buy the TI triathlon swimming book but am on the fence about getting the freestyle DVD as part of a package deal. Has anyone used it? If so, what are your thoughts? I guess while I'm at it, what do you think about the triathlon swimming book? I've read some pretty good reviews. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. (I also posted this in the triathlon area, so sorry if you've seen it there also.)

Thanks,

Joe

• GrantSj Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 5, 2008
    1. Feb 10, 2009 12:12 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)
    Re: Total Immersion book/DVD

I've read one of the TI books and it was helpful.  The best way to improve is to find a fast swimmer at your pool and hope they will share their secrets, drills, techniques, etc.  And of course, keep swimming!

• nickblackmon Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    2. Feb 16, 2009 1:05 PM (in response to GrantSj)

I read the book and could not make any sense of it until I saw the dvd, so I would for sure recomend watching it.

• Cmylene Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2008
    3. Feb 16, 2009 1:55 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

Yes absolutely.  If you are looking for the right technique's then this is the DVD to watch.  I've been swimming since I was under 8 years old, and I wish someone would have shown me this technique back then.  Good luck!

• Bamboobusa Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008
    4. Mar 9, 2009 6:05 PM (in response to Cmylene)

The best advice that TI has going for it is swimming with balance. Otherwise, find some real swimmers, coaches, and videos of the best, learn from them, then put in the yards. TI swimming will not make you faster in your tris, only help you survive.  Train fast, then you will be fast.!!!

• rodtri Amateur 5 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009
    5. Jun 11, 2009 10:54 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

As a level 2 club swim coach, i was given the TI freestyle DVD as a present. I watched and thought that there was to much drill work to get to the right technique. i would just go to a swim squad and get the basics down pat from a coach on deck. t

• scd44 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    6. Jun 15, 2009 8:23 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

It is useful in the sense that it gets you thinking about balance in the water and just rotating on your axis to breathe.  The originator demonstrates the techniques and he is out-of-shape, so it is somewhat offensive to see his hairy back and tubby belly bobing in the water, unless you're into that kinda thing.

• Dmack1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 22, 2008
    7. Jul 1, 2009 9:29 AM (in response to scd44)

In response to the person who so insultingly referred to TI founder and author Terry Laughlin as "hairy-backed" with a "tubbo belly" I ask you if a hairless back and slim figure are required  teach someone how to swim? Give me a break, Terry Laughlin may eat more than a couple hammer gels each day but he has become an incredibly accomplished open water swimmer winning 4 national championships and breaking long distance records. He successfully completed his second Manhattan Island Marathon swim (28.5 miles) at 55 years old  and produces books and dvd's that help real people (hairy and hairless alike) learn how to be better swimmers. I used the book and dvd to teach my self how to swim at 37 years old and now compete in open water events as well as triathlons. I agree the technique has a lot of drill work but patiently working through it paid off for me and I think the purchase is well worth the money. 

• Fanatico Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009
    8. Aug 20, 2009 6:08 AM (in response to Dmack1)

I AGREE 100% WITH WHAT Dmack SAYS. THERE'S NOT MUCH MORE TO ADD, BECAUSE IT IS SO WELL EXPLAINED. I'll just add an example to illustrate the point: Coming from a land of soccer (ARGENTINA), I consider Diego Maradona one of the best soccer players ever. And even though he's almost 49 now and obviously LESS slimmer than he was at his peak, his knowledge of what to do inside the field doesn't change a bit. On the contrary, it was built upon experience which comes with time, practice,  and sometimes a couple of extra pounds. But I would take any advice he would give me without a doubt. Even though I've swimmed all my life, I used Terry's DVD as well, and I also agree there's quite a bit of drill work ... but in my experience, you don't practice, you won't get better.The DVD won't swim for you, that's for sure. My advice: get the DVD, watch a little bit and get your *** in the water keeping what you just saw in your mind while you swim trying to improve just that particular bit. Then next time watch a little more, and keep going. Good luck everyone.

• CraigMcGray Pro 55 posts since
    Apr 16, 2009
    9. Aug 20, 2009 6:38 AM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

The total immersion videos and books have helped my wife tremendously to help her feel more comfortable in the water.

Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier!http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0743253434|height=1|style=border:none !important; margin:0px !important;|alt=|width=1|src=http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=0743253434|border=0!

02 in H20 - A Self Help Course on Breathing in Swimming - A Total Immersion Instructional DVD!http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00120WGUO|height=1|style=border:none !important; margin:0px !important;|alt=|width=1|src=http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00120WGUO|border=0!

Outside The Box: A Total Immersion Swimming Program For Success In Open Water with Terry Laughlin!http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B001U9BS74|height=1|style=border:none !important; margin:0px !important;|alt=|width=1|src=http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=cts0812-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B001U9BS74|border=0!

I have used the tri swim coach programs for my triathlon training and have really made some great improvements.

http://www.triswimcoach.com/catalog/product.php?productid=16151&partner=craig0812

Do some research and find what works for you. Good luck!

-------------------------------------

My Triathlon Training Blog

My Triathlon Training Blog

• scd44 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    10. Aug 20, 2009 6:56 AM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

Purchasing both is better than purchasing one alone.  If I were to only purchase one, I would purchase the video.  Therein you can see the approach demonstrated.

• twotonehog Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    11. Nov 23, 2009 6:52 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

I am a 40 yr old male who could just swim enough to get across a pool or a little in the lake (by no means the "proper technique"), a friend borrowed me the total immersion dvd, and it has helped me a lot! I am still in the early stages no freestyle yet but I am in the pool about 3 - 4 times a week. Took a lot for me just to get my balance but I am now rolling like a log! I also have ordered the book, I started this 10/31, there were a few times I was just gonna give it up, but now I am feeling very positive and my short term goal is to do a couple of sprint tri-althons (next summer), I love to run and bike & now with the help of that dvd I will love to swim!

George (Upper MI)

• Jona571 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    12. Jan 21, 2010 4:37 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

As a fit (6'/170# 5000+mi/yr cyclist) but essentially non-swimmer last winter, TI (articles & videos but no in-person coaching) allowed me to go from gassed at 50M to finishing MOP in 2 sprint tris & an Oly (1500M swim portion).  I took some "traditional" group swim lessons at a well-respected local club but got little from it.  I mean a furious flutter kick to help drop your 50M sprint time does NOTHING for helping you survive 1500M Oly swim before the 40k bike & 10k run. TI is basically an endurance stroke, which is what nonswimmer tri newbie needs.

From adult newb tri swimmer's point of view-

TI Good Points-

-Balance

-Streamlining (e.g. "laser beam" to describe neck position in line with spine in direction of travel)

-Core rotation

-Breathing

-Energy conservation- from relaxed head to relaxed arms & avoiding wasted energy via too-vigorous arm pull

-Timing/tempo

-Catch happens naturally from "relaxed hand"

TI Could be Better-

-Explanations re 2 bt kick (timing, etc.) & coordination with hip drive.

-Imagery for how various movements should feel- I learned much more about this in various articles

-Arm pull de-emphasized almost to the point that I sometimes waste energy trying to AVOID pulling

BTW- I agree that dumping Terry in favor of the model on the cover of Easy Freestyle would have made a MUCH more attractive video

• YAMO! Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    13. May 21, 2010 2:41 PM (in response to Billiken on the Run)

For people on a budget, you can check to see if a local library has a copy. Luckily for me two local public libraries in the area had Total Immersion resources (one even had the dvd and practice cards).

I certainly owe a lot of my new found enthusiasm for swimming to TI.

There are also a lot of TI resources on the net, including You Tube videos.

If you can afford it though, and are a beginner/intermediate swimmer looking for more confidence/info, then I'd say it's worth it. If I hadn't had the library resources to use I wouldn't have minded having paid for it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...