Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1039 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2009 1:59 PM by JohnnyJ28 RSS
GregJ09 Rookie 3 posts since
Jan 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 5, 2009 9:14 AM

5-Mile Training

I am 28YO male currently training for a 5 mile race, 2 weeks to go.  Fairly new to running.  On my pace runs I have my times down to 7:05 per mile for 4 miles with a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down between.  Long distance runs are up to 9 miles at 8:33 pace, and doing easy runs of 4 or 5 miles throughout the week at 8:27 pace.  Doing 20-25 miles per week.  The 7:05 pace is all I can handle for the 4 miles, completely spent afterwards.  My goal is to run 33:00 for the 5-miler and I'm curious to see of this is doable with 2 weeks left in training at my current times?  Should my pace be 7:05 on race day or should I be pushing it down to 6:40-6:50?  Do people typically run faster on race day than in training.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,270 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Feb 5, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to GregJ09)
    Re: 5-Mile Training

Based on what you're saying, if you're "completely spent" after a training run of 4 miles at 7:05, I think you've got a couple problems. You're probably going too fast for a regular training run. You might do that in a one-off time-trial, but not a regular training run. (Though even "completely spent", you did a 1 mile cooldown. Hmm . . .) And you can't expect to do 5 miles at 6:40 if you're completely spent after 4 miles at 7:05. Yes, people frequently run faster on race day. But they're not that gassed after their training runs, even intervals.

Note that I said "Based on what you're saying". The question is, are you truly done-in after those 4 miles. At this point you will likely find out only by pushing the pace in the race. I would hesitate to do a time-trial this close to the race for fear of injury.

Len

Len

• JohnnyJ28 Pro 62 posts since
    Nov 9, 2008
    3. Feb 12, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to GregJ09)
    Re: 5-Mile Training

I am new to this also.... but I read someplace that your long runs should be 2 minutes slower than your tempo runs give or take....

so my personal "not worth a ((&(^*&' opinion is that you should try your long runs at 9:05,, or maybe 8:55.....

it'l seem really boring for you.... but I read somewhere that it will work well.... who knows....

please see my question on speed work training and see if you have an answer...

thanks,

john

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points