Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2559 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2009 8:57 PM by bio_research RSS
Jhena Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2009 8:06 PM

MRI for Shin Splints

Recently, my doctor recommended I get an MRI to help diagnose the cause of my shin splint pain so that an appropriate treatment plan can be formulated.  My shin splints have been reoccuring for several years and in fact, have never actually cleared up.  Last year, I was fitted for custom orthotics to support my extremely high arches and that did alleviate the pain on the front of my shins but the interior pain above my ankles continues.  X-rays revealed no cause for concern, i.e. stress fracture.  What exactly will the doctor expect to "see" using MR Imaging, how will this help him formulate a treatment plan, and does the use of MRI to help understand shin pain justify the cost (about $1,500)?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...