Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2516 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2009 12:27 PM by SusanLT127 RSS
astankovic Rookie 10 posts since
Dec 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 19, 2009 10:11 AM

Treadmill to outdoor

I'm on Week 5 of the C25K program and I thought I'm doing reasonably well. I do walking at 3MPH and running at 5MPH with incline set to #2.

Howerver, last week, for my last W4 run, I went for a run outdoors and I barely made it home. I don't know if it was unevenness of the road, or the wind, or the cold. But it was so difficult it was just like running for the first time.

I don't really like running on the treadmill, but I have to settle for

it during the winter months. I realize running on the treadmill is

quite different than outdoor running. I'm wondering how can I prepare

for outdoor running while running on the treadmill. Should I increase the speed or incline or both? Should I put weights on my legs?

I'm feeling like treadmill is giving me a false feeling that I can run, when in actuality I can't really run outdoors.

Thanks,

Alex

I'm finally getting fit!
http://c25kapp.com
  • brettatk Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009
    1. Feb 19, 2009 10:19 AM (in response to astankovic)
    Re: Treadmill to outdoor

Was your pace the same outside as it was on the treadmill?  I always run faster outside.  Perhaps you were running faster and you just gave out.  Also if you have a lot of hills that would factor into it as well.  Increasing speed and incline gradually would probably help.  It's just going to take time to transition to outside running.  Good Luck!

• Grandma24Boys Rookie 42 posts since
    Oct 21, 2008
    3. Feb 20, 2009 10:33 AM (in response to astankovic)

Alex,

I totally understand what your going through.  I completed the c25k program on my treadmill.  I still run on it three times a week.  I run M-W-F and Tuesday and Saturday I do my eliptical for 30 minutes. I decided to take my run outside, much to my surprise I couldn't do it. I don't know if it's all in my head or not. I live in CA and it's not flat by my house.   But I still have a hard time running outside.  I've stayed on my treadmill for now...due to the weather. But I have mapped out a 2.51 mile flat run that I'm going to attempt when the rain goes away.  I'm just going to do walk/runwalk.  My favorite week of c25k is 5min run 3min walk 8 min run 5min walk 5min run and finish with 5 min walk.  That's what I'll start with outside. 

Good luck on your running.

Shannon

• Devvers Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    5. Feb 25, 2009 10:12 AM (in response to astankovic)

Hi there,  the same is true of me and I put it down to this... when you run on a treadmill, the machine is creating a quite a bit of momentum by giving you a moving running surface. The running motion is very different as well, because we are effectively running on the spot, bouncing along and trying not to fly off the end.

When you run outside, any momentum which was created by the treadmill has to suddenly come from you and it's a far greater test of your cardio fitness and muscles. It is far easier to keep running at a pre-set speed when a conveyer belt is rotating under your feet.

A good mix of the two is best if you can't get outside all the time, and I would discourage training on 100% on a treadmill before a race as it is very artificial, gives you a false sense of your own ability - and it can never test your ability to cope with wind resistance, changes in weather, temperature etc.

• Shelly5672 Amateur 21 posts since
    Jan 10, 2009
    6. Mar 6, 2009 7:27 AM (in response to Devvers)

I'm going thru the same thing as well. I want to run the shamrock shuffle on the 29th in chicago and got my first chance to run outside yesterday (week8/day3) and I sucked at it.

The trail I was on was asphalt and since that's what the shuffle will be on it is somewhat discouraging. I am hoping I can find some advice thru the posts on this board. Good luck!!

• chelle17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 30, 2009
    7. Mar 6, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to astankovic)

i really consider myself a human garmin i can almost dead-on gauge my pace by simply reading my body (or breathing pattern). I  have discovered, though, that i tend to run faster outside than i do inside (about 15-20 seconds more), so i always push myself a little harder on the treadmill to compensate for the "bursts" i'll do outdoors. You might want to consider the Galloway approach outside until you get more comfortable. Run for 5 min (or 1 mile) and then walk a minute. Repeat for the duration of your run/workout. Do take into consideration that not only hills but also slow inclines in the road will affect your run. i think people underestimate the work those smaller inclines do to our quads/hams! i'm excited for you; don't give up! Spring is around the corner and best enjoyed outdoors. good luck!

• SusanLT127 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2009
    8. Mar 6, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to chelle17)

This is my 2nd time through C25K.   I've been through the exact same thing and will be facing the outdoors this time around as well as soon as the snow is gone.   I found that by my 3rd or 4th run outside I'm feeling much better.   It is definitely more difficult to transition from treadmill to road - managing your own pace, the colder air and street conditions can definitely play havoc with your endurance.   Just slow it down at first and most importantly -- don't beat yourself up.   Give your body and your control a little time to adjust and you'll settle in.   This was the advice that kept me going outside and I managed to do the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta (SUPER hilly).  Now I just have to take my own advice!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...