Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34233 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • bio_research Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    106. Mar 9, 2009 7:14 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

You can do it!!  I have been training for my first race (the VA beach 1/2 in sept) and was looking online friday(really sat at 2am) for races and found a 5k that was the next day and said.. I'll do it... well, I drove there and almost turned around, but decided to DO IT... My first race was so fun... It was really small, but I took it slow and had enough gas in the tank to pretty much sprint the last 400m.... I am hooked... I'm doing atleast one more race this month and 2 in april... RUN THAT RACE!!!

• wisenhimer Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 26, 2009
    107. Mar 10, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin, The only thing I can think of that will hurt you between now and Saturday is trying to get something more out of your training.  Your run on the 8th for 3 miles at a 12 minute pace validates both your training to date and the value of rest.  Additional rest with only light running should complete your week.  Stay off your feet as much as possible on Friday and stay hydrated.  I'm sure you no longer doubt your being able to do this.  Others have wisely advised you to stay within your pace.  Don't be deceived because of the adrenaline rush that you can run 10 minute miles.  If you still feel that way with a half mile to go, fine.  Good luck!

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    108. Mar 10, 2009 1:24 PM (in response to wisenhimer)

Yeah and do go pigg'in out at midnight the night before the race or out danc'in til 2am.  It will not improve your time, trust me.

• Candiemouse Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 16, 2009
    109. Mar 10, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to Robin J.)

I'm so glad I found this.  I will also be running my first 5k event on 3/15/09, and i am extremely nervous.  We are in the same boat, training wise.  After reading all the encouraging posts, I am feeling much better about the run itself, but then I get caught up on the details:  how close is the parking to the starting line?  What do I wear, will I be warm enough?  Where do I put my car keys? Will I need my ID to register?  Should I carry water with me?

Can any of the veteran runners help with some of the small details?

Good Luck Robin, not that you will need it.

Candie

• poomer Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    110. Mar 10, 2009 5:37 PM (in response to Candiemouse)

MY ADVICE FOR YOUR CAR KEYS - JUST TAKE THE ONE YOU NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR DOOR (OR YOUR REMOTE OPENER) AND UNLACE THE TOP TWO

LACES OF YOUR SHOES AND TIE ON YOUR LACES AND THEN LACE BACK UP - HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME.  DON'T WEAR TOO MUCH CLOTHING - YOU WILL

WARM UP FAST, DON'T NEED TO TAKE WATER - THEY WILL HAVE WATER ALONG THE WAY.  USUALLY DON'T NEED AN ID TO REGISTER - ESPCIALLY IF YOU

PRE-REGISTERED - JUST NEED TO PIN ON YOUR NUMBER - BE SURE YOU HAVE SAFETY PINS TO PIN ON YOUR NUMBER - THEY USUALLY PROVIDE THESE

WITH YOUR NUMBER.  HAVE A GREAT RUN AND GOOD LUCK.

• RICH48 Pro 106 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    111. Mar 10, 2009 6:08 PM (in response to Candiemouse)

I agree with Poomer.  Carry as little as possible and there will be water along the way and plenty at the end. That was a good idea about the

key - I think I'll use it myself.  If it is an event that has runners, walkers and run/walkers, like my first - the most important thing to remember is

set and keep your own pace. The 1st is probably the hardest for most. Good Luck and let us know how you do. 

Richard

• Viv Lindstrom Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 29, 2008
    112. Mar 11, 2009 6:05 AM (in response to poomer)

I like the key idea too and will use it myself.  Thanks! 

As for parking, I like to park so that I can do a light run to the number pick up and a light run back to my vehicle with shirts and etc and a light run back to the start before the race begins.  This gives me a little warm up.  Some races like the Race for the Cure at MOA on Mother's Day offer a large group warm up session before the race.  I have discovered I have much better race results after this.

BTW, if you have never experienced the Race for the Cure, it is an amazing event.!!  Last year at MOA in Bloomington, MN there were over 55,000 participants in the 5k run/walk on Mother's Day.

• Steve__2027 Amateur 33 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    114. Mar 13, 2009 7:47 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Wow....what a long series of notes.   Looks like this community has gotten you to a point where all you have to do is go out and have fun.  You will be surpised at how the crowd pulls you along.  Try to focus on your running and do what you are comfortable with.  If you pace is to quick, which sometimes it can be during races where you tend to go out too fast, slow it down.  You will find  a grove after a bit and before you know it you will have your first PR or PB - Personal Record or Personal Best!!  Best of luck and have a lot of fun......Keep listening to that little voice inside - Just keep running!  That little voice is a pretty strong motivator! 

You Can Do It!!B-)

• Belinda OMelia Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    115. Mar 14, 2009 4:52 PM (in response to Steve__2027)

Congrats, the big day is upon ya (Sunday race?)

You are going to be shocked at how adrenalin will move you along.  In fact, if one is not careful, one can go out "too fast".  But thats not really an issue in a 5K.

I started with 5ks 4 years ago.  I have run off and on all my life.  Then 10ks, the 15ks, then half marathons, then marathons, 50Ks and up.  (wow, that looks like an addiction problem, does it not?)

Do not let someone elses pace drive your pace.  Run YOUR race.  In racing there is DNF, DFL, and DNS.  DNS is the worst (did not start).  DNF is "did not finish", and DFL is something about being the last person to finish a race.  Except for rare cases, 5Ks are speed races more suited to younger folks.  Older ones (like me like the longer ones ) where a 20 something speed demon needs more than speed to finish.   Do you have a Fleet Feet store in your town?  Or a very running-community oriented "runner's store"?

Before I go, I want to give you a tip about something that I noted in races, especially speed races.  I bet you will find folks in front of you and behind you.  The ones in front, remember this, they are struggling JUST like you.  The ones behind, they are having even a tougher time.  Get it?

Good luck, can't wait to hear how you did.

Mike (who just ran in a 50 miler today, 4 years after staring to race)

• walkingbear Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2009
    116. Mar 15, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to ParTwElvis)

I am 48 and over 250 plus and started exercising to lose weight 6 weeks ago.  A lady a work who is a runner inspired and encouraged me to run.  I did my first 5K yesterday.  I had been working and exercising for this moment. At the beginning of the race, rain was pouring down with a temperature of 45 degrees.  I looked around and saw all these people in shape and then looked at me. I had every reason to walk away but I did not want to be defeated.  So I walked. Being my first racemy goal was to finish and not to be last.  I kept the same pace the whole time and stayed motivated because I thought I heard footsteps behind me so I kept going. I did not look back but just kept going.  I found out later what I thought was footsteps was my wet pants flopping on the ground when I was walking.  I finished completely soaked, very cold and hurting at 59 minutes and 6 seconds.  You may think that is a very slow time but I was not last and I finished. I can only get better.  But more important then anything was the feeling of accomplishment.  I lost my husband 3 years ago and I did it for him.  He used to be a runner but died of an anerysm to his heart at the age of 47.  I am not going to give up!! My next goal is a better time and more weight loss...If I can do thisthen anyone can.  "Fight the good fight and finish the race"

• Skeetersmum Amateur 9 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    117. Mar 15, 2009 12:15 PM (in response to walkingbear)

Walking Bear..GOOD FOR YOU!!  I also started (last year) at 260 pounds (5 ft 3 inches) and 55 years old!!  My first 5K I walked the entire way, FAST..but the "high" was awesome.  I felt like I had done something good for the first time in a LONG time.  Now I am 56 years old, lost 128 pounds..and I just completed my 3rd half marathon at 2 hrs 48 minutes..an HOUR better than my first half marathon last October.  So, the best thing I can say is that you have taken the first steps and you CAN do it.  Don't ever worry about what the people around you look like, none of them is any better than you are and everybody has a different reason for being there.  Think how every step leaves a little blood pressure behind, a little cholesterol behind, diabetes behind, etc etc.  Every step..one foot in front of the other.  Walk, then learn walk fast then run a little (if you want), and walk a lot, then run a little more, walk a little less, etc.  Of course, some people like walking so much that is where they stay and good for them!  It doesn't matter what you do, just move.  And, keep entering the races because it keeps you training!!  Take care.  D.

• walkingbear Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2009
    118. Mar 15, 2009 12:22 PM (in response to Skeetersmum)

Wow--that is awesome!!! That is just what I needed to hear!!  I have got a long way to go but I am not going to give up and with inspiration like that I can do this.  I am going to print your message and use it for motivation.  GOOD FOR YOU!! I am 255 and 5 foot 4. I can do this!!!!

• Skeetersmum Amateur 9 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    119. Mar 15, 2009 12:59 PM (in response to walkingbear)

Walking Bear..INDEED you CAN!!!  You know what I have been discovering?  A lot of those "fit" runners you looked at, a lot of those have eating problems also.  It seems a large body of runners run so that they can eat, or drink or whatever.  Because it burns the calories.  So, I figure they are no different than we are.  When I have a long walk/run of 13 or 14 miles I can eat lunch without feeling guilty.  In fact, you can't diet too much or you don't have the energy for the longer runs.  But, the weight did come off.  Of course, I must admit I also did gym work, 3 days a week.  About 2 months ago I have added weights after my cardio and that seems to be helping get rid of some of the loose skin.  You have taken that proverbial first step..and the second, etc.  Like I said, sign up WAY in advance for other races because then you have to keep training.  You keep training, you keep exercising, you keep losing.  See..it's a WIN/WIN situation.  Sign up for the Disney Half Marathon (Orlando) for next January.  It is an awesome event, a long time away to give you training and just generally fun.  Or any place else..the point is in the future so you have to keep training.  It MAKES you move because you have already paid the (nonrefundable) entry fee...D.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...