Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

33383 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • runnernew09 Amateur 29 posts since
    Mar 14, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Mar 15, 2009 7:31 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

Oh - sorry....I guess I didn't read to the end of the pages.  Looks like you did great!  It gives me motivation to keep running - hopefully I can do the same!  Congrats!

• Belinda OMelia Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    136. Mar 15, 2009 10:34 PM (in response to runnernew09)

I actually became aware of this thread because someone on the "ultralist" noticed it. This list is composed of runners that do what most folks consider "insane". 50 Km, 50 mile. 100 mile, and up kind of races. The poster linked to it to remind "us nutcases" that fear of the unknown haunts us all. We all faced that fear in our first race. And everytime we try something new or bigger, that same fear comes back. Can I do this? Will I DNF? Will others notice? The answer to those questions is Yes, Maybe, and No. But it does not change the fear.

Not to go in some religious direction, but I will never forget this one tough 50K I was running. Nothing was going right and I was miserable. Just wanted to quit. When I get that way, all I can do is look down at my feet and slog along. At one point, I looked up at the person in front of me and noticed something written on the back of his shirt. It said "I can do all things through Christ who strenghens me". As it happens, I am a Christian. I have heard that quote all of my life. And for something like a silly race, it seems a bit of a miserable application. All I could think at that moment was "Rats!, this is nothing compared to the real world." So I got myself straightened out and finished the race. I have never forgotten that.

Good job. Atta boys and slaps on the back are great... but that race is over. Done. Now go and find another challenge. Its never about the finish line, but its always about the journey.

Mike

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    137. Mar 16, 2009 7:01 AM (in response to Belinda OMelia)

RobinJ - I thought of you and I looked for you yesterday!  Glad you were in that crowd of people.  Did you dress in green?  Congrats on your accomplishment, it's great.  The size of the group surprised me.  And I was too far back in the group when we started, slightly behind where they were bouncing the balloons behind the arch. It was almost two minutes from the gun until I crossed the start line, then bobbing and weaving around others.  Finished in 24:55, within 3 seconds of my PR.  Had a lot of fun, inspite of the cold and dampness. 

Again, congradulations on your accomplishment.

• MichellePhy Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009
    138. Mar 16, 2009 9:53 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Please make sure that you do it.  I have run several 5k's now and love the excitement on the day of the run (in addition to the time leading up to it and the great feeling of accomplishment after ).  Just commit to trying one run and I bet you will be back for another.  Don't worry about your time.  I still couldn't tell you mine however I do find that the adrenaline on that day helps me run faster.  Good Luck.

Michelle Phy

Surround Yourself By People Who Smile

• MichellePhy Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009
    139. Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to Robin J.)

WOW - Congratulations.  Sorry didn't realize this was an old post.  It appears on the front running page.

Michelle Phy

Surround Yourself By People Who Smile

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...