Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

34218 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next
  • pregodego2 Expert 64 posts since
    Jan 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Feb 27, 2009 7:11 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

Congrats on even setting the goal and working towards it!

I'm 25, but I've had 3 kids in 6 years and my youngest was born just 1 year ago. We're all in different stages of life and you'll see all kinds of people from all walks of life out there at your race! So many people said that to me and I couldn't even imagine what that meant until I was actually there. I just finished my first 5k last week.

My best advice though, don't worry about walking! I understand it's a goal you have set, but it really isn't a big deal to walk if you need to. In fact, I train with the run/walk system and can run/walk over 3 miles, but during my 5k race last weekend I thought I was walking more than I do during training, i felt so winded....well guess what? I finished 4 minutes faster than my training time!!

Just get out there. Your first time is a test run to see how you do running that distance with lots of other people in a "race" setting. Whether you walk/run or run the whole time, when you cross that finish line you can say YOU DID IT!

Good luck!

• Kickin' lady Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2008
    76. Feb 27, 2009 7:28 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Don't miss it!! You'll be just fine. Believe me. The same situation happened to me last year on my first 5K. I was 48 then. I also had a flue and missed proctice about a week or so and so scared of the first race. But I did just fine. No one tells you you have to get a gold medal for it. You just do the best you can do and you'll be happy you ran! Good luck! After that first 5k (it wa Nissan Exterra Endurance trail run and took 45 minutes), I was so hooked and did another 5K with 27 minutes (regular road), and 10K (59 minutes), and just ran my first Half marathohn two weeks ago! I was proud I finished in 2:18! My goal this year would be running half in 2 hours and do the first full marathon! PLEASE DO NOT MISS IT! Even if you don't feel like you are ready, you have trained for a while now, you should be just fine.

Miko

• Spooky53 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 29, 2009
    80. Feb 28, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

I just ran my first 5K on Daytona International Speedway.  I didn't run a full 5K prior to the event.  But, I figured the adrenaline would be good for an extra mile.  I was right.  Just set your own pace, relax and have fun.  YOU CAN DO IT!

I've since run a second 5K prior to my 56th birthday and I plan to do a third on the beach around Easter.

Richard

• Teachermeg Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 31, 2009
    81. Feb 28, 2009 6:13 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Well, today was my first 5K and I did it!  Finished in the middle of the pack for my age group. 315 out of 662 women. The posts on here are all true. There are all types of people out there and walking if you need to wasn't a big deal at all. One of my 10 year old sons convinced me he wanted to run as well, so we did it together. We crossed the finish line in 35:56. It was much better than in training because there were so many people encouraging you to keep going. Oh, and for the new moms, I'm 35 and my youngest is 7, so I'm a little late on the getting back in shape thing! haha

Robin, it will be great and you will be in great condition to run because you are training now. I only ran twice in the week before this race and then before that it was at least two weeks since I had been on the treadmill. I have three kids and work full-time, so I did work out at home more than run outside. I think that helped too. Most of the people I meet that are training for a race do a lot of cross training.

Good luck!

• mightyviper Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    82. Mar 1, 2009 3:51 AM (in response to Robin J.)

I'm also new to running. Remember that being 50 and attempting a race of any length puts you ahead of 98% of the rest of your neighbors. Just do the best you can and remember that this is race number one. You will have a good time when you "feel" the atmosphere around the start area. Everyone is having fun and raising money for others.Keep a log of your race time,whatever it is and you will have a goal to better that time on the next race,even if only a few seconds. You have already won by entering.                                                                               

Good Luck,

MightyViper

• Dick Fagan Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 26, 2009
    83. Mar 1, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Relax, no big deal if you walk or run.

I am 71 probably at least 50 pounds overweight and had a major operation a couple of months ago, ruptured appendix with all the complications, on top of prior attacks to my body (2 knee operations, 2 back operations and 2 "gut" operations, a heart attack with stents)and I was able to run my first ever race---a 10k yesterday in 30 degree temperatures with a 30-40mph wind.

Had only been running a month or so prior to the appendix operation.  Always knew that I could complete if I had to walk, but funny thing is that I finshed the last couple of miles faster than I had even been running in training.

Use friends or relatives as inspirations, not pressure.  I didn't even tell my wife that I was running until the night before the race.

Oldie but Newbie in Texas

• adirondacksuzy Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    84. Mar 1, 2009 1:51 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Hey, congratulations on beginning to run at all! Two things, if you're consistent with your running (be it run walk, run, jog, sprint whatever) it only gets easier (then you can push harder) and two: when doing your first race - don't feel you have to keep up with the crowd (been there done that!) GOOD LUCK and just have a good time!

• easym Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    85. Mar 1, 2009 4:23 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Congrats to you. Making the first step is a big mental decision... it only gets easier and more challenging at the same time.

• sfaucett Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    86. Mar 3, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Dear nervous,

Running is all in the mind. If you think you can run the 5k, you will. If you think you can only run/walk, you will. If you worry too much, you won't finish. 

• Toastr59 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 2, 2009
    88. Mar 4, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to Robin J.)

I too am new to running I just completed my first 5k... Started training only 2 months ago, only on a treadmill.  I ran the whole 5k,,, my advise -- run at an easy pace.  Do not try to keep up with the crowd.  Start out slow!.  Just remember you can finish the 5k.  I just kept looking for the mile markers, thinking where in the world are they, saw 1 mile then 2 mile, then some race official yelled less than 1 mile to go, I knew I had it in the bag!  It is an incredible feeling to know I completed this, I am 49 years old...

• Laina29 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    89. Mar 4, 2009 8:13 AM (in response to Toastr59)

I was so glad to find this post! I am running my first 5k on this Sat(Mar 7) and I am very nervous too. I am 29, and have 4 daughters,(6-4-and twin 9 months)!! I have always loved to run but could only get about a mile out before I had to stop. I really got going after I had my twins and "broke" that barrier. I could easily run 2-2.5 miles, and I love it!!! I am very excited and I have ran the 3.1 miles this Monday at about 34.5 min and today I ran 2.75 miles at about 31 min...which I am okay with but I live in MI, and I have only been able to run on the treadmill. It is going to be very cold out there on Sat, and I hope that my lungs will compromise!

I do think that adrenaline will see us through any nervousness!!!! Good luck. I will tell you how my race goes. I cant wait!!!

Laina~

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...