Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

33005 Views 139 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:59 AM by MichellePhy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next
  • HeruRL Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Mar 4, 2009 2:01 PM (in response to Robin J.)
    Re: Nervous About My First 5K!

Robin J, I hear from the consenus that you need to relax...if you have recovered from the flu - you still have time to train a little before your run.

You have already run 2.5 miles already - now you can work on  "Seeing (Visualize) yourself starting the race, running the race, and finishing the race".

You can do this!!!  All the best to you...keeping running.

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    91. Mar 4, 2009 2:42 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin:

I think you'll be fine.  Remember, the St. Paddy 5K in Baltimore will be a large event.  lots of people, lots of runners.  The excitement will be electric.  I think we are running along part of the parade route so there should be lotsa spectators cheering us on.  I love running on parade routes, remember fondly last year's Dundalk Heritage 6K on July 4th.  Remember, it will be chip timed so don't fret at the beginning when the gun goes off and the crowd doesn't move.  Your time will be recorded when you cross the mats.  Since I'm a morning person, this run in the afternoon will be a little different, even more so because I'm flying back from Phoenix the evening before.  Anyway, look for me that day (I'll be wearing green! lol) no really, I'll probably be wearing green sunglasses shaped like 4-leaf clovers.  Haven't decided whether to green the hair or not.

Shamrock 5K 3/15/09

Shamrock Half VA Beach 3/22/09

Frederick Half 5/3/09

Annapolis 10mile 6/20/09

Baltimore Half 10/10/09

• timongirl Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    92. Mar 4, 2009 7:13 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Robin,

Congrats. on your first race. I just did my 1st race last week the ESPN 5K at Disney. I was only training for a little bit over a month. My two friends that ran the race with me were super athletic. I was just like you very nervous even at the morning of the race. One I saw the runners around me that started to get me excited. Are soon as I took of I just start running at my pace and focus on getting to the first mile marker. Just focus on each mile at a time and you will be fine. Just don't forget to run at your pace. One you cross the finish line it is the best feeling in the world. Good luck!

"Runners are doers by nature-we're not content to set and let life happen passively."

Race Completed
    ESPN 5K 2/28/09 41:33

Big Peach 5K 5/2/09 47:24

Possum Trot 10K 5/30/2009 1:30:54

Running for Hope 5k 6/27/2009 44:47

Peachtree Road Race 10K 7/4/2009 1:37:59

Old Solider Day 10K 8/1/2009-1:22:32

US 10K 9/7/2009  1:40:36

Atlanta 13.1 10/4/09 03:21:24

Upcoming

Tower of Terror 13K 10/24/2009

Princess Half Marathon March,2010

• Cdo127 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 10, 2009
    95. Mar 6, 2009 1:45 PM (in response to Robin J.)

That is great about your son being at the finish line.  Use that as your motivater.  Picture his face as you cross the finish line.  And remember the goal is to do your best.

There are many more races to do where you can work on time and distance. Just enjoy it's your one and only first time.:8}

• Laina29 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    96. Mar 7, 2009 5:44 PM (in response to Cdo127)

well Robin, I have now finished my first 5k and I have to tell you it is even more fun than I anticipated! My goal was to finish before 35 min and I did it in 30min30sec! I even won a medal for second place in my division. It was amazing. Rain and all. It was about 40 degrees and rained the whole time but still such a blast! The poster was right who said that all your nervousness flys out the window as soon as they blow that horn! I was nervous all the way up to that point but after that it was smooth sailing! Good luck to you and I cant wait to see how you do!!

Laina~

Attachments:
  • mmifflin Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    97. Mar 8, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to Robin J.)

You can and will do it  I just did my first 5K Feb 28th and also had missed a week of training with bronchitis I was scared I wouldn't make my goal of not walking either but I did and so can you. All I will say is start out slow and pace yourself so you accomplish your goal of running the whole thing then you will feel great and can work to improve your time later. Have fun, enjoy and breath. You will do it -- Michelle

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    98. Mar 8, 2009 12:03 PM (in response to Robin J.)

I did my shamrock 5k today and thought of you during the last mile...just keep runnig, just keep running.  I set a goal of a 10:30 pace and came in with exactly that.   I had trouble getting to sleep last night,  I was nervous and excited and just a bundle of energy and this was my 11th race in 11 months.    I think it's going to be a long time before I stop being nervous about them.   They're a thrill ever time for me.

Carole

• DRS Runs Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 21, 2008
    99. Mar 8, 2009 12:45 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Just relax....t will be a blast whether you run the whole way, or run/walk... it will be a great experience! You sound like me one year ago. I was 47, had only been running like a month and had not completely ran a full three miles without walking  at least some during my runs. I was nervous, mostly because of the newness of it and I really wish I had not worried so much. It was a wonderful experience. I did run most of it... but realized it is not that big of a deal if you have to walk a part of the race to just kind of catch your breath and then pick up running again. I have ran about 6 or 7 races now... 10 K being my longest so far but I have signed up for a the Derby minimarathon in Louisville and the "Triple Crown races that take place in the months before. Our first race was yesterday, the Anthem 5K, There were about 10,000 runner's and walkers at the start! It was so fun! I have had a lot of obstacles over the past year mostly physical things, surgeries etc...... I have tried to keep trying to get back out there and running with my "normal running" being 3 miles 3 to 4 times a week!

Just keep running! Have Fun! It has awesome physical benefits and you will be so proud of yourself and your friends and family will be too!  You will do great at your race!

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    102. Mar 8, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to Robin J.)

Yes!!  That's is so cool!  On race day you'll be able to do better than you thought because of the race rush you'll get.  Can't wait to hear about it!!  

Haven't picked my next race yet but I shoot  for one a month. 

• Viv Lindstrom Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 29, 2008
    103. Mar 9, 2009 6:28 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Hi Robin,

Good for you!!  I will be 49 in a couple months and I've been running for several years.  I've never been fast but I am an interval runner and do between 10 and 11 minute miles.  I have, however, increased the distance of my running intervals through strength training on the opposite days of my running schedule.  Make sure you vary your running terrain to include some inclines.

CONGRATS on your first race!!

Keep this in mind while running your race......I had my 30 year class reunion last summer which included a kickball tournament.  Several of my classmates had their young kids run the bases for them after they kicked the ball (I'm one of the few grandmas in my class!).  When it was my turn to kick and they asked if I wanted a pinch runner I said "No, I can run for myself".  When I told them I was a runner they said "WHAT?"

You can be the one who doesn't need a "pinch runner" you can run for yourself (which is what running is all about)!  Many races are raising money for different organizations.  Keep that in mind as well.  You are helping others who need it.

Keep up the good work!

Viv

• KristinaMP Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 9, 2009
    104. Mar 9, 2009 8:06 AM (in response to Robin J.)

Good luck Robin!  I too am running my first race, a 5K next Saturday.  Like you I am really nervous too!  I suppose that goes with the territory of doing something new.  I have had some problems with my ankle, and am hoping that it will be ok on race day.  Anyway, it helped my nerves reading your post -- again, good luck! 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...