Skip navigation

5439 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2010 12:43 AM by JustinBrawn RSS
Big Harv Rookie 4 posts since
Oct 5, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2009 5:29 PM

Nutrition Plan

I recently started training for a triathlon in April. I am 38 years old, 6'1" and weigh 212 pounds. Over the past two years, I have dropped about 40 pounds due to health y eating and exercise. I'm at the point where my body has stopped losing weight, so I hired a nutritionist. She evaluated my diet and said I was eating too few calories (around 2000/day). She instructed me to up my caloric intake to 4000/day. I've been doing this for two weeks and have gained six pounds and feel bloated. However I do feel stronger on my long runs. Any suggestions?

• Tim Van Pro 32 posts since
    Jul 26, 2007
    1. Apr 6, 2009 10:26 PM (in response to Big Harv)
    Re: Nutrition Plan

Hey Big Harv,

Wow! 2000 calories a day?  I'm not surprised that a nutritionist would suggest upping your intake if you are your size and actively training for a triathlon.  It's hard to give specific advice since, other than your size, I don't know much about you.  Variables like how much training you are actually doing, when you eat (and how often), when you train, what you eat, all come into play here.

Basic suggestions would be to go with the 4000 calorie suggestion and break it out over 5 to 6 meals a day.  Stagger the calorie intake per meal to the anticipated activity level.  In other words, you want more calories in a meal which falls before your workout than you do in a meal that falls prior to a period of low activity level.

The mix of what you're eating and when also comes into play.  Limit your carb intake about 90 minutes prior to your workout, since your body has a store that will get you going and get you into a fat burning mode.  On that note, during long to medium endurance training, you should start hydrating right out of the gate with a carb-type of drink (gatorade,powerade,etc.)  This will help you replenish your glycogen stores and allow your body to keep burning fat.

If the nutritionist has not done so already ask for a breakdown of the types and amounts of calories they are recommending to make up those 4000 calories based on your current level of performance training.  Having that knowledge should help you break it out over the smaller meals and help you keep from adding back the pounds just prior to your race.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck with the tri!

Tim VanRavenswaay
    Certified Endurance Fitness Trainer, ISSA
    www.bigbadrunners.com

Twitter

Active Blog

• KMKISER Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    2. Jun 17, 2009 9:12 PM (in response to Tim Van)

My recommendation for you is to imagine that you are a caveman in prehistoric times and you had to hunt and pick all of your food. NOW eat like that cave man... Its a pretty simple concept, no/very little grains and no sugars(your carbos will come from veggies) high fat/high protine/low carb diet. Eat three meals a day with snacks evenly eaten in beteween, for example an apple and a handful of nuts with a glass of milk would be a snack. This will prevent you from eating too much for your bigger meals. Simply eat Meat, fruits, veggies, nuts, root veggies such as sweet potatoes and turnips, eggs, milk and cheese.

ohh yea, dont worry about the whole calorie thing. If your eating this diet you can eat until your full and not have to think about calorie consumption.

just my .02 good luck!

• engourdi Rookie 2 posts since
    May 18, 2009
    3. Jul 8, 2009 6:04 AM (in response to KMKISER)

I eat like caveman in the winter till due to digestion problems. In cycling season I must eat grain based carbohydrates. I tried to eat my winter diet while riding and the first century I did showed that it was not the proper diet for distance riding. After adding carbs back into my diet long distance is not a problem.

• JustinBrawn Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2010
    4. Aug 27, 2010 12:43 AM (in response to Big Harv)

However, before getting into the rut of injecting yourself with insulin, or being forced to go off that favorite sweet snack, let’s have a lowdown on what kind of dieabetes foods to eat can help you keep away from diabetes.

How to get body shape | Mens health problems

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...