Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19334 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2009 3:21 PM by Imgellin RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next
  • fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 3, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing-March 09

KS, when I lived in Mississauga, the first 1.5 mile of my course was downhill. I often ran this section as hard as possible,

a risky gamble, but the eccentric contraction made me faster.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0985.htm

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/downhill-running.html

"

Another study came up with some interesting and very valuable data.

This investigation (Newham, DJ, Jones DA, Ghosh G, Aurora P. Muscle

fatigue and pain after eccentric contractions at long and short length.

Clinical Science 1988; T4:553-7) found that the length of the muscle

during an eccentric contraction had an effect on the amount of

sarcomere damage and the amount of resulting strength loss. A longer

muscle resulted in greater amount and duration of strength loss. That

information can be used to decrease muscle damage during downhill

running. How can you reduce that damage? Simple – just follow standard

running mechanics guidelines and avoid {color:#0000ff}over striding{color}."

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    17. Mar 3, 2009 9:04 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Thanks Fred. Something more to think about. Tomorrow my mid week long run will be 14 miles in our hilly area. Maybe I'll try running down harder than the normal trying to run up harder. Ribs - my long runs go something like this. I start with a group of friends who don't go as far or as fast as I want to run. So we'll run the first mile in 8:15-8:30 getting caught up. Pace naturally begins to drop as we warm up so were running 730-7:45. The slower ones will drop off or slow down and then we try to finish strong. Most of my 17-20 milers avg 7:25- 7:40 so there are some miles approaching marathon pace but mostly near the end for strong finish. My second to last long run of 20 miles we ran 7 comfortably hard, then 6 right at marathon pace adjusting for wind, and then finished last 7 comfortably hard. So I guess I have some variety in my long runs.

Todays run - felt awkward and tiring at times but the pace was ok and could have run longer at that pace.  I believe my easy pace has dropped to 7:40-7:50 where a year ago it was 8 - 8:10.   So I was running a bit brisker than my easy pace.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    18. Mar 3, 2009 2:41 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey! I haven't been getting any posts in my e-mailbox! ?:| I wonder why that is. Humpfh!

Lauren, thank you for the congratulations. There was some sleet at the race, but I had my ski mask. Were the roads really that rocky out in the desert? I wouldn't risk a twisted ankle.

I ran 8.9 today, a different route than what I was doing in preparation for the 10-miler. It was tough because I am still tight from sunday: raced 10 miles, rode bike for 20 in the snow and sleet. Usually, I will do an extensive stretching routine on my in-between days, but I was too tired yesterday. I actually had to camp out in the woods to do this race because there were no buses on sunday. I loved it, but all-in-all, it tuckered me out.

I am now training for an Apr. 5 10K and I really think I can beat my time in my first 10K: 54:23. This new route has a hill that I have to go over twice, so I am not just doing flat ground now. I got my medafit blister resistant socks in the mail today, and they worked just fine with my Omni 4 trails which I used today! I was very pleased. I hope they perform as well with other shoes and at even longer distances.

On June 15, I start my 4 month training program for the Oct. 17 Marathon. I'll still be throwing in a 5K here and there, but I am trying to stick to Dave Kuehl's program as closely as possible.

Spareribs, I beg your pardon, but do you wish me to continue to refer to you as "Spareribs"? I just wouldn't want you to feel like I was grilling you.

Paul

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    19. Mar 3, 2009 7:16 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Good for you, SpareR, on your good 12 mile run. I do run on a dirt track fairly often. I'll have to get my camera out and take some shots of it to post here. Thanks for posting your dirt track--that's nice, a 1.1 mile loop. Mine is literally a quarter mile track. I don't get bored with it either., though I run on it perhaps twice a week. I rarely have company running on it. I like the soft dirt for running, though like you said earlier, it's slower.

Paul, the dirt roads can be too rocky to run on. I'd be skipping over rocks with each step, so it's not worth the risk of injury. Also, you never get anywhere. I tripped a couple of times this weekend just walking, but I attribute that to fatigue. This was a rarely-used road--other roads are much smoother and easier to run on.

Today was 6.5 miles with one of my work friends. Overall, 10:10 minute miles (1:06) with a couple of miles at an 8:30 pace, I think. The first few were well over 10, I'm sure. I asked my friend to pick up the pace with a couple of miles left and I couldn't read the Garmin too well, though I knew we were going about an 8:30  pace, if not less than that. We met up with another work friend for the last mile and so slowed down.

Have a good night, everyone.

Aug 14, 2007
    20. Mar 4, 2009 7:27 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Paul - sounds like those socks may do the trick for your blisters.

Sierra - looks like you got in a couple quick miles.

14.25 miles this morning.  6 in the hills and 8 in the flats.  7:44 avg pace in 55 degrees weather.  Pace all over the place this morning but not intentionally.

Jul 13, 2008
    21. Mar 4, 2009 8:24 AM (in response to ksrunr)

K.S: I'll see how they work with my Ride 5's tomorrow (I'll keep my toes crossed).

Are your runs affected one way or the other by relative humidity? I was just wondering if you always feel oxygenated on those hills.

Paul

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    22. Mar 4, 2009 9:45 AM (in response to Imgellin)

Paul, in my limited experience humidity is more of a problem in warmer weather. It inhibits your body's ability to cool itself as sweat does not evaporate as readily.

Ksrunr, I wish I could hammer out my long runs at that kind of pace!

Ran 8 miles last night instead of 10 because I had to be back and showered in time for dinner! Have recently incresed my mileage to over 40 miles per week and am "consolidating" at that distance, so all easy running for now. Speedwork will resume later this month-my first race this year is late April, half marathon.

Looking forward to moving the clock forward as the evenings will be light much longer; I am not a morning runner.

Simon.

Jul 13, 2008
    23. Mar 4, 2009 12:16 PM (in response to SimonnR)

Hi Simon.

I have found that as the temperature increases, the oxygen and hydrogen molecules expand and it takes greater effort to breathe them in. Also, with greater heat, the air is able to contain more water, and it takes more effort to breathe in water then it does air. I do not know what kind of temps K.C. was running in. I think he said in the fifties.  One great thing about winter in New England is the drier air. The harder surfaces of the roads I am not so enthusiastic about.B-)

Paul

Aug 14, 2007
    25. Mar 4, 2009 12:49 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Living in CC we have horrible humidity down here.  Today and last few days the % has been down.   Our problem down here is twofold.   Too hot to run in the afternoon or evenings when the humidity is down.   Too humid in the mornings when temps are at their coolest.   Most of us opt for the dark30 runs and call it a good swim!   The good thing about training here however is that most of my marathon races are in cooler and less humid climates.   Many were complaining last year that Hartford was too hot.   Not for me!!    A lot of the less competitive runners just take the summers off down here like many Northerners take off for winter.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    26. Mar 5, 2009 4:30 AM (in response to ksrunr)

This Northerner just got back after doing 4 miles, 37:26, 20 degrees when I got back home.  That time included tree breaks for my dog. 

I hope you are all looking forward to good weekend.  We're expecting temps in the 60s!  It's time for Rich to check in. 

Aug 14, 2007
    27. Mar 5, 2009 5:01 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Good to see you running Euphoric

5.75 miles ez this morning.   Same on tap for tonight.  Think I'll do my long run in the morning instead of Saturday.  All my training partners are leaving to run a 203 mile relay.

Jul 13, 2008
    29. Mar 5, 2009 1:09 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I ran 8.9 today. It's good to finally be doing some hills. I began using my stopwatch and resurrected my running log. I am going to use every tool at my disposal to run under 50 minutes at the Apr. 5 10k. Blisters, ribs, knees and triceps are all under control. Today's run was 1:26:19.

Paul

1 2 3 4 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...