Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20392 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2009 3:21 PM by Imgellin Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 6, 2009 6:48 AM (in response to Spareribs823)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing-March 09

22 miles in 2:50:50.    70° and 86% wet  uggggg

• Sun Raider Legend 371 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    32. Mar 6, 2009 6:09 PM (in response to fred-urie)

The problem at Boston is way, waaaay too many people. There are plenty of other marathons one can pic to run fast.

By the way,

Where's Jim.

Jim????  

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    33. Mar 6, 2009 6:33 PM (in response to Sun Raider)

Euphoric, that was a good 4 mile run in the cold. Paul, with that positive thinking I think you'll break the 50 minute mark. When is your 10K?

KS, that was a heck of a 22 mile run in the damp and dank.

An easy 4.5 miles Wednesday, and 6.2 today at the same pace, with a little speed work.  This week should be 25 miles by tomorrow. I'd like to run several miles at close to race pace, but feel I should wait a while longer before I do that. I think it's a good sign that I want to do that, though I think I should stabilize at 35 miles a week before I do. Next week will be another reduced mileage week without (probably) a long run. I did the usual pushups and other upper body work after today's run.

Aug 14, 2007
    34. Mar 6, 2009 6:42 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Thanks Sierra and Ribz.   The good thing about Boston is that the first corral will be fast enough to do what I want to do.  No four abreast walking groups.

Aug 14, 2007
    35. Mar 6, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Raider,

The only place I see Jim posting is in the RA sub 3 hour marathon thread.  He posted today and is trying to recover from some leg injury.

• Imgellin Legend 521 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    36. Mar 7, 2009 4:39 AM (in response to Sun Raider)

I know this is marathon-related, rather than 50-plus, specifically, but I am wondering if there is any chance that the Boston Marathon organizers would ever decide to make qualifying times lower (harder) to cut down on the number of people in the race.  Any thoughts on this?

*                                                                                Paul

2009 Indianapolis Marathon 3:59:14

Jul 13, 2008
    37. Mar 7, 2009 4:42 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

Thanks, Lauren. It's April fifth, up in Nashua, N.H.

I wanted to ask you: How do you decide on how many miles to run on a given day?

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    38. Mar 7, 2009 4:46 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Hey K.S: Instead of spending a mint on hotel rooms for that marathon, you can hang out in my apartment if you like. I am just north of Boston.

Paul

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    39. Mar 7, 2009 5:24 AM (in response to Imgellin)

Yesterday was meant for shorts and a 20 mile spin on the road!   

Ks, I'm going to look at a new bike today...........great components, but really ugly.  I hope there's a repeat of last year's Boston weather for you and some relief from the H & H you're now facing at home.

I just went for a short run in a long sleeved shirt and I think I'll not be able to resist the road this afternoon.  This is a very dangerous time of year!  Lycra can only stretch so far. 

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement you have given me throughout this last year.  It's great to read about your training and runs.  I'm looking forward to all the race reports we'll soon be seeing here.

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    40. Mar 7, 2009 8:13 AM (in response to euphoric)

It was 64F yesterday, but I'm still running indoors with Mary and Alan.

Wednesday - 20 min. warmup, 20 min. steady state with 2 hard laps, 20 min. warmdown

Thursday - 60 min. easy

Friday - 50 min. warmup, 5 min @ steady state , 5 min. hard

Saturday - 60 min. easy, 50 min. slow 

• fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    41. Mar 7, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Jim posted his master's PRs at RA:

"

Masters PR's:40's - 5k 16:39; 10k 33:48, 10m 56:25,  HM 1:15:27, Marathon 2:43:1250's - couch potato60's - 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33"

Aug 14, 2007
    42. Mar 7, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Euphoric - what is the brand of the bike?  Take some pics for us.

Paul - thanks for the offer.  I signed up for a hotel room months ago and we will spend about a week in Boston.  Maybe next year?

Boston used to have stiffer standards to run but relaxed some years ago as the running craze for marathons took off and maybe they saw the loads of money other marathons were making.   In 1987 I had to run a 3:00 just to qualify.   I didn't know that when I ran grandma's marathon and ran a 3:01 and change.  Now my goal is just to go sub 3.

Had an interesting run today after yesterday's 22.   Goal was 10 easy.  End up with 13.5 but on the way back I passed the turn around for a small 5k just about 100 yards ahead of the leader who I knew.  So I cranked it down a bit to hold him off as long as I could.  He and his brother both passed me but 3rd place couldn't get me.  I was already 11 miles into my run.  The best part was being tired I could crank it down to 6:20 for a mile.  That gave me more confidence for Boston than the run yesterday.

Good day all

Hi ya Fred

Jul 13, 2008
    44. Mar 7, 2009 11:53 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Sure, K.S., that sounds like fun.

What is the reason for running 22 miles one day and then 10 easy the next? I see a lot of similar routines here. Is doing 10 miles the day after a long run better than, say doing 15 miles on a bicycle or walking fast for 7 miles?

That is bad news about the Boston Marathon. I did not know that. I wanted to qualify for next year's Boston Marathon at Indianapolis this year, but now it hardly seems worth it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's still worth it.

I ran my 8.9 today and beat monday's time by more than two and a half minutes. I'm healing up and the weather is warmer. I'm going to attempt some upper body exercises next week.

Paul

1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...