Skip navigation

2250 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2009 8:36 PM by mash724 RSS
faithfully fit Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 31, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 4, 2009 8:16 AM

hypoglycemia

I am a hypoglycemic, and rely on lots of protein in my diet.  Is there a protein "gel" or some other way to get protein into my system that will be digested quickly during a marathon?  It has to be sugar free, no fructose, sucrose, or any other types of sugars.

• mash724 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 1, 2008
    1. Mar 29, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to faithfully fit)
    Re: hypoglycemia

My daughter is also hypoglycemic.  Her doctor told her eating small meals throughout the day with a complex carb and protein together is the only way she will control her hypoglycemia.  Granted she does not run marathons and carrying those things on a marathon could be challenging.  I suggest you may want to have race support (family or friends on the course every 5 miles to hand you quick snack or small protein drink)and really stabilize your blood sugar pre race a couple of days before and right up to the race by eating 6 small meals with high quality protein and carb combos; sardines and cracker, peanut butter with cracker (or almond butter), yogurt with fruit, cheese stick with bread, or peanut butter with banana on wheat bread 1/4 piece at a time.... Good luck in your marathon!  Its a tough condition but it can be managed don't give up on your dreams

Debra

• Exphysman Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 11, 2009
    2. Apr 11, 2009 11:12 AM (in response to mash724)

For hypoglecemia conditions, remember that the most insulin is released when carbs and proteins are in roughly a 3:1 ratio. So combining a protein source of food(or supplement) with the carbs your eating in this ratio will end up causing a greater degree of hypoglycemia than if you ate the carbs alone. This is assuming there is little fiber to slow down the absorption.  That is the entire premise behind most post workout meal replacements having a 3:1 ratio to elicit as much insulin as possible to shuttle the glucose and amino acids back into the cells for recovery.

If you care you can check out my M.S. thesis from several years ago at www.asep.org, January 2001 online journal, The effect of a carbohydrate protein drink on recovery from endurance exercise.  It was going to have the words "on muscle glycogen resynthesis" but I chose recovery from endurance execise because I did not have the facilities to perform a muscle biopsy to actually measure glycogen content, so I used plasma insulin as an indirect measure.

Keep in mind that what really controls the hormones, in this case insulin is the glycemic load of the entire meal, not just the glycemic index of the carbs. So obviously getting some healthy fats with the carbs and proteins would slow the release of the nutrients into the blood.

Eric Niles, M.S EPC

health coach

• mash724 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 1, 2008
    3. Apr 12, 2009 8:36 PM (in response to Exphysman)

So... Are you saying 3 parts Carbohydrate and 1 part protein or vice versa?  I agree there should be more carbohydrate but there should be some protein to slow the use and give the body a protein to use as energy also  as it can be converted to energy but it is slower.  At least this is what has been suggested for my daughter.

I will read your thesis as it will hopefully be helpful on this subject, as long as it is not to technical  : ) 

Thanks for your input!

Deb

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points