Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3684 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2009 5:34 PM by ALL FOR MY ANGEL
ALL FOR MY ANGEL Amateur 11 posts since
Oct 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 15, 2009 5:03 PM

Marathon Training for odd schedule?

I consider myself a newbie, I have only started running since Jan 09. So I am training for a Marathon in Oct 11, 2009, for charity.  I have logged in over 100 miles since I started in Jan.  I have a few runs under my belt, 5k, 6k, 8k and a 14k.  I am running 4 days a week , now 5 miles a day with one long run at least 6 miles.  I then work 3, 12 hour night shifts in the Emergency Room.  So my schedule gets weird, my sleep is off and I am doing all these runs a week with no recovery time. 

Can I eat or train differently so that by Sun I am not a zombie?  Do I need to be doing something more than just running everyday?  How should I be eating?

I'm not trying to set any records, just want to finish the run.  I need some advise for those that train with odd schedules too.

• Sherri Kaplan Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    1. Mar 20, 2009 4:12 PM (in response to ALL FOR MY ANGEL)
    Re: Marathon Training for odd schedule?

I just did my first 1/2 marathon.  To train, I went to runnersworld.com and used their SmartCoach program. It allows you to put in where you are, what you want to do, and when you want to do it then gives you a training schedule.  On mine it had me running 2 shorter runs (with pace work)  and one long (slower) run per week in the beginning, and toward the end 3 shorter runs and 1 long run per week.  You pick the day of the week that you want the long run and it programs around that.  I believe as long as the runs are spaced a day or two apart so your legs recover, you can be flexible with your schedule, shifting a day here and there as needed.  I can't speak for anyone else, but my first 1/2 marathon went perfectly, right on pace, ran the entire time, and felt really good at the end of it.

• Sherri Kaplan Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    3. Mar 20, 2009 8:47 PM (in response to ALL FOR MY ANGEL)

Seriously, no desire to do 26.2 at this time.  That is reallllly far!!!!   It is really odd though...going to the event how "inferior?" one feels for only doing the "half marathon". Or maybe that is all in my head.  At one time I would have been amazed at running more that 3 miles, then at the event I was "embarrassed" at doing "only the half".  It is a wonderful experience and one that I am proud to have accomplished.  I love events because the community is so supportive.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Mar 21, 2009 6:56 AM (in response to ALL FOR MY ANGEL)

Obviously, the three days you don't run are recovery. Not exactly the ideal schedule, but . . . is there any way one of those short runs could be done after your 12 hour shift? It could be shorter than 5 , then add a couple miles to one of the other "short" runs to make it more mid-distance. Do, say, 3 on the middle work day, then on the other four days do 4 or 5, 7 or 8, rest, long. Cross-training (bike, elliptical, swim, etc.) is nice but not mandatory. Fit it in if you can.

Len

Len

• larosep Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    5. Mar 21, 2009 2:10 PM (in response to ALL FOR MY ANGEL)

I work a rotating 12hr. shift. My hardest times to run are on day shift. By the time I get home it is late and I don't feel like doing any running. My best bet is to hit the treadmill right when I get home. Now that it is light out I can do a quick 31/2mile run. Nights isn't a problem. I run as soon as I get up. I usually run 5-6 miles on night shift. On my days off I try to get in at least one 9mile run. With all that in mind I usually only get in 3 running days. I would like to get more but it just isn't possible for me and I am not going to stress about it.

I started running in Jan. 08 and I try to enter at least one event a month to keep myself motivated. My ultimate goal is to run a marathon.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Mar 21, 2009 4:32 PM (in response to larosep)

One fairly popular 3-day-a-week is FIRST (http://www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm) but you have to take a rest / cross-training day between each run. Also cross-training assumes more importance in this plan.

Len

Len

• DEMONDARLIN Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    9. Mar 22, 2009 6:25 AM (in response to ALL FOR MY ANGEL)

I'm so glad I found your post! I trained and ran my first marathon 2 years ago. I loved it. Since then I cross trained into a new job, where I work rotating 12 or 8 hour shifts, 2/3 on 2/3 off, so I'm in the exact same schedule as you. I miss more planned runs than I want to because of it. I'll have every intention of running, but as soon as i get home I hit the pillow. I also do better with night shift-it's easier to wake up early than to run after shift. I've seen a huge decline in my running, so I'm going to check out these sites-I'm doing a half-marathon in May! (my carrot!) Thanks everyone for the advice shared here.

• threpeat Rookie 39 posts since
    Mar 19, 2007
    10. Mar 25, 2009 4:26 PM (in response to DEMONDARLIN)

I would consider Hal Higdons Novice 3 program. Its designed for Novice Runners who can only run 3 days a week. It does want you to cross-train a little too but I assume you have access to excercise equipment at the hospital.

Gene

Gene

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...