Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

20788 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2010 3:30 AM by how2runfast
MitchWilson Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2009 4:54 PM

get rid of cramps in ribs?

does anyone know how to get rid of cramps in ribs? whenever i run more than 2 miles at a fast pace, i always get really bad cramps in my ribs.

thanks for the help,

mitch

• noplis17 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    1. Mar 24, 2009 6:24 PM (in response to MitchWilson)
    Re: get rid of cramps in ribs?

hydrate more the night before

• Runr262 Pro 97 posts since
    Nov 26, 2008
    2. Apr 3, 2009 7:03 AM (in response to MitchWilson)

My college health teacher told me some tips for that and I have never had problems since....

Warm up, relax, try to breathe as normally as you can, slow your pace, and lastly (the one that helps the most)...She said usually you get a side stich/cramp from having your diaphram out of rhythm.

When you feel that coming on, try to relax, but when you exhale push your stomach inward (think about squeezing a bottle)...I have found this (making sure you are pulling your stomach in while you exhale) seems to get the best results....

Hope this helps...

"There's a fine line between looking clever and looking stupid" -Spinal Tap
  • smspaz3 Amateur 9 posts since
    May 15, 2009
    3. May 15, 2009 7:09 AM (in response to noplis17)

Does hydrating have a benefit even if you are only running a short distance (2 - 3 miles)?

Sue

http://www.myspacecodezone.net/

• Kirk Holmes Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 20, 2009
    4. May 29, 2009 9:21 PM (in response to smspaz3)

If you are training just for fitness, recreation, or fun (and not serious racing/athletics), then I say you are probably training at too fast a pace.  For me, when I took Galloway book advice and targeted training at 2 mins/mile slower than what I thought I could do if I really tried, I never again had rib cramps/stitches.   Then, I slowly picked up the pace to get back to where I had dropped down from, but without discomfort or pain.  My rule is that you should not stop because of rib pain or being winded, but because your running muscles tell you that its time, or you are sticking to  a methodical plan.

take that approach and you reach your goals with less chance of injury or the demotivation of  stopping because of pain.

that's what worked for me in going from a ceiling of a half mile to 22 miles. 

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    5. Jul 15, 2009 4:00 PM (in response to MitchWilson)

When having this issue in training my track coach recommended dropping and doing some crunches. The blood flow from the crunches cured the problem evey time. Try to give yourself sufficient time between eating and running as this is a big cause of cramping. If you don't have the energy to run on an empty stomach drink some Gatorade. Pepto Bismol is also great for stomach acid issues when running, but should be taken at least 20 minutes ahead of time.

Personal Trainer in Los Angeles

• Solidfoto Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 2, 2008
    6. Jul 20, 2009 4:06 PM (in response to MitchWilson)

I have had the same problem. I figured out to I needed some light food in my stomach. If I ran on an empty stomach it would happen to me. I needed to eat about 30 min before running.  Try it without eating then with eating. I also started using muscle milk with water.  Don't eat a lot just something and drink something as well. Warm up then do your run see if it still happens. That is how I worked it out for myself. Good luck cramps suck.

• RABBIT GTI Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    7. Jul 23, 2009 7:17 PM (in response to MitchWilson)

Hi Mitch!

I've had the same problems in the recent past... I took a form class at the local running store here in Okemos, MI (as they're free). You might check to see if you have one in your area. Anyways, I was instructed to begin a whole new journey of correcting my form. Starting at the "core". I found out that your running form is only as efficient and pain-free as your core is strong. Once I began focusing on my core for 15 minutes, 3 times a week, I noticed... hey!... no more cramps! RIGHT ON! Here's a link that might get you started: Core Strengthening Exercises

I'd love to hear what you find works for you & take care,

Alison

• FrankieAmons Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    8. Sep 10, 2009 3:13 PM (in response to Runr262)

I use a similar strategy as Runr262.  I think it's usually about relaxing.  I loosin up my my arms and get them further from my body.  Relax my hands.  Take deeper breathes to get more oxygen in the body.  Sometimes I'll slow down my pace and rest my hands on my head to open up my lungs more.

Often I get the cramps if I run on an empty stomach or if I didn't warm up before the run.

• haair Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    9. Sep 17, 2009 11:05 PM (in response to MitchWilson)

I had this problem when I ate before I ran. Now I run before I eat, but only for 45 minutes max, to not go into starvation mode.

Lots of great ideas above. I think I might have to try some new strategies.

[

• whythehellnot Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    10. Dec 12, 2009 3:54 PM (in response to MitchWilson)

If you specifically mean the stitches under the ribs on the right side, here is a great article that explains it:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

I've tried the thing about always landing on the left foot while exhaling and found it didn't always work. Taking longer, fuller breaths helps sometimes too.

• racemates Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 19, 2009
    11. Dec 19, 2009 1:32 AM (in response to MitchWilson)

I agree with some of the entires below...pre-run hydration preparation...i.e. the night before and before you run. Also, post run hydration to prepare for the next run or next workout.

However; when you get a side cramp during a race or a run, the best way to get rid of it is to...

1.) Relax your body, especially your torsoe.

2.) try to burp up, or make yourself burp...I know it sounds weird, but don't knock it until you try it. The motion or process of you trying to conjure a burp works out the cramp.

3.) Squeeze the area of the cramp.

Let me know how it goes...

Cheers,

Cawood

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    12. Dec 27, 2009 9:41 AM (in response to MitchWilson)

Check your posture.  You are probably slouching in the miles leading to the cramp.  Concentrate on running "tall, quick, and efficient".

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    13. Mar 19, 2010 3:30 AM (in response to MitchWilson)

When I get a stitch in my side, I make sure that I "belly breathe".  Relax your stomach muscles and expand your stomach as you breathe in and contract it as you breathe out.  Works every time for me.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...