Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21831 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren 1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 1, 2009 8:53 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - April

April 1 - 60 minutes slow

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Apr 1, 2009 12:21 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

KS, if Euphie really leaves us for a bunch of bikers I will cry.

6 miles on the track, including 4 x 800 at 7:55 pace, somewhat erratic.   Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    2. Apr 1, 2009 7:40 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Still fighting the flu. I ran 4 miles yesterday when I still felt well enough to run. Afterwards, I did some pushups and upper body work. It was a little tough, though, to get through it, So I knew something was coming on. Today, I knew I was sick. I had no desire to run at all. Still, my body wants the exercise. It's always that way with me. I have a very hard time sitting still. I'll likely stay home from work tomorrow as well, and see if I feel good enough to run a short distance.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Apr 2, 2009 9:03 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

I'm sorry about that Sierra.  I can run with a cold, but I would never run with the flu.  Hope you recover quickly.

Intended to run 3 slow recovery miles, but found myself running at easy pace instead.  Felt great.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Apr 2, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Yuck I hate to be sick.  Best wished to ya Sierra.  5.75 miles this morning at what ribz would call recovery.  I call sluggish.  Going to go out and get some more tonight.

One more 20 this Saturday and then about 17 next Saturday and then it's on.

Dec 31, 2008
    5. Apr 4, 2009 12:18 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks to the both of you, Spareribs, and KS. I stayed home today but feel much better than yesterday. I know what you mean, Ribs, about not running with a flu. I'd never run if I had a fever--that's dangerous. I didn't have one with this flu, just felt achy and very tired. I ran today, 5 miles on the track. I took it easy. Did the usual push ups, etc.

You've both had some good runs--those 4 x 800 were good, Spareribs. KS, it is getting close, isn't it?

Paul, report back about how things go for you if you try out running several times a week instead of every other day. If you spread the weekly distance out, plus whatever you might run in addition, you won't have an issue with over use if you take it slow at first. But, I can see how you would be concerned about interspersing more miles on top of the 8.9 you're now doing every other day. Going a slow 1 mile, then 2, should be OK. You can feel your way. Good luck on your race this weekend, and let us know how it goes. Your last post reminded me of what is was like running in downtown San Francisco on my lunch hour: dodging the traffic lights, trying not to have to stop. I was so distracted once as I crossed a busy street, I slammed head on into a substantial light pole (at full speed--I was looking left, watching traffic, and when I looked right, there it was, and it was too late to stop). It was the second-worst spill I've taken. But, I still got up and ran after I realized nothing was broken, though my head was ringing for a while.:|

Message was edited by: SierraLauren--correction to Ribs', 4 x 800!

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    6. Apr 2, 2009 4:36 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, bikers?  No way.  Cyclists wear spandex and shave their legs.  No contest. 

It's been great to read of all the training, racing, and ensuing arguments.  Even better to read about all of the spouse success.

I'm now up to 45 minutes on the road, 3 x week, and mix up the other ones.  I did buy a new bike.  KS, this on is all Dura Ace and I'm going to have to work lots harder  to not  look like a poseur on it.  I've done one climb with no ill effects and hope to work up to a big ride planned for the end of this month.  As for participating in events other than running ("Runners only run."), I say, "Why be mediocre at one event when you can live up to that expectation at three of them?"

KS,  best wishes for the home stretch to Boston.

Fred, thanks again for keeping us going.  Where are all the other MIAs?

Aug 14, 2007
    7. Apr 2, 2009 6:58 PM (in response to euphoric)

Sierra - your running accident reminds me of the news reporter walking and talking into the camera and walks dead into a pole.   It's funny if not hurt seriously and it's someone else.

Euphie - didn't you play the same trick on me last year.  Thanks for the encouragement.  It's all I can do to be mediocre at one sport let alone 3. 

Dec 31, 2008
    8. Apr 2, 2009 7:02 PM (in response to euphoric)

Hi Euphoric. It's good to hear from you. Good luck on that road race at the end of this month. Is that strictly a road bike that you've bought or a combo road and trail? Have you thought about running a bit in between the rides, just to keep your foot in it, so to speak.

When I first joined here, I thought there were several other posters to the thread (including a woman who had trouble logging in) but I haven't seen them for a while.

Aug 14, 2007
    9. Apr 3, 2009 7:52 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

Morning all.  10 miles this morning.   1st 5 ez in 42:47  About 8:30's.   2nd 5 in 7:38's  1:21 oa.

Tomorrow last long run;  22 is the plan.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    11. Apr 3, 2009 3:16 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

Hi Everybody. Lauren I'm going to start running something similar to what you outlined, here, the day after my race. I'll let you know how it works!

I ran my 8.9 today and came in at 1:25:06. I was not breathing well and I think it was a combination of the wet and warm weather. Also, I ate 30 minutes beofre I left and could taste tomato sauce all through my run.

I need some feedback.  Right now, I am quite perturbed. A cop in a car yelled to me to "Try to use the sidewalk." today, while I was running.  I called the police station after my run to find out if there was an ordinance against running in the street. They said no, but that it was "...up to the individual officer." Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of non-existing laws being "up to an individual officer." I'm really upset because I will have to move out of this town if I have to run on the badly-maintained, concrete sidewalks. Never in my life have I heard of not being able to run in the street.

Lauren, I know what you mean. Even Mission Street has so many dang traffic-lights. The running doesn't get good until you are in San Bruno or Burlingame. Then it starts to clear out.

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    12. Apr 3, 2009 3:25 PM (in response to ksrunr)

K.S: We are rooting for you!! You are doing awesome! Let me buy you a hot chocolate in Boston! I don't know if you have a support team, but I will bring you a dry shirt if you need one, too. Smoke that 22 miler tomorrow!

Paul

Aug 14, 2007
    13. Apr 3, 2009 6:02 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Paul,

Just ignore the officers.  He could have had a bad day.   He could have forgotten who he works for (us).   Tomorrow's run I think I will run 16 at a moderate pace and then drop down to close to marathon pace the last 6.  So I'll avg about 7:45 or more and then drop down to about 7:10's.  Marathon goal pace is 6:50.  this run is all on various types of hills.

Paul you can text me or email me in Boston at ksrunr at hotmail dot com      (Or anyone else on this board for that matter) 

Jul 13, 2008
    14. Apr 3, 2009 7:06 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Thanks, K.S. I think I'll do just that. I have a ton of good reasons not to run on the sidewalk. If he stops me in the middle of one of my runs, though, I will be aggravated. I do not like to stop during runs for any reason. Anybody renting out a trailer in the middle of nowhere?

Paul

1 2 3 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...