Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21635 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren RSS Go to original post 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Previous Next
  • Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    180. Apr 15, 2009 6:41 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

Oh. Dang, K.S. I forgot you are down in C.C. I visited Houston once and was foolish enough to leave my shirt unbuttoned one day outside at work. I had a strip of second degree burns 3" wide. Fleet Feet, huh? I think I've heard of them. Do you run at night? It must be nice.

Paul

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    181. Apr 16, 2009 5:17 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning running friends.   5.75 ez this morning.   oa pace 7:40 after a slow warmup mile.  More tonight with some good leg turnover.

May or may not get to run tomorrow depending on time restraints and weather.

Jul 13, 2008
    185. Apr 16, 2009 9:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran my 1-mile recovery run today, and it sure felt good to "blow out the pipes" after yesterday's long run. I feel much better now! Thanks for getting me going on those, S.R.

Paul

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    186. Apr 16, 2009 9:35 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul, I didn't understand your post:

So it is basically 9-9-9-6-6-12-13 saturday to friday. I'd have to cancel my track work days and recovery run days. Also, I do not want to do two long runs per week right now, anyway, especially on consecutive days.

Paul

Fred would not have given you back-to-back long runs like that.  Go back and see his post.

Fred, when I ran in NY during those hot summer months I experimented with a white mesh "baseball cap" type of hat in which I had sewn in a pocket to contain ice.  After much trial and error I concluded running with no hat was better than running with a hat that has ice in it.  I'm with you.

3+ recovery miles with a friend who just got back from S. Africa.  She did the 56K Two Oceans in 5:22, a pretty good time over that hilly terrain.  Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    187. Apr 16, 2009 9:52 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Sunday - 9 miles

Tuesday - 6 miles

Thursday - 12 miles

Saturday - 9 miles

Monday - 9 miles

Wednesday - 6 miles

Friday - 13 miles

Tell me what you see after thursday and friday.

Paul

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    188. Apr 16, 2009 3:07 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Paul, hope you are enjoying the new bike.  As for heart rate, long hard climbs always get my rate up.  Stopping isn't an option in the middle of a climb.   

5 good miles this morning with aborted plans to ride tonight.  I feel exhausted and think I'd have been a road danger had I gone out as planned.  Thinking about  a September half marathon as the Army Ten-Miler is already closed.

Ks, I wish you the best in Boston!  Do we know your number? 

Jul 13, 2008
    189. Apr 16, 2009 3:15 PM (in response to euphoric)

Thanks, Euphoric. Good to hear from you. I won't have this bike completed until the fall, though, so I am thinking of first rides scheduled for next spring. My Raleigh Technium is in prime condition, though. (Not bad for a 20 year old frame).

Paul

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    190. Apr 16, 2009 5:32 PM (in response to Imgellin)

A three mile slow warm up and then wave run for two miles for 5 today on the track. It was 10 to 10:10 minute miles on the warmup, and 8:55 and 9:00 on the uptick of three 400 meters, and a cool down. My achilles was feeling tender on the run on Wednesday so I didn't want to push it any harder than that. I didn't feel the tendon today.

Paul, the other day when I said I was tired, what I meant was that my legs were fatigued. I had a sense I'd feel that way before I started running. It was, I think, from the two long previous Sunday runs following the shorter mileage week when I had the flu. My heart and mind were all for it (on Wednesday's run); it was my legs that objected. Still, it turned into a progression run so I felt good about that.

You have definitely escaped your wife's cold or flu, KS. Keeping my finger's crossed. Positive thoughts.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    191. Apr 16, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphoric - thanks for asking.  My bib is 4061.  I suppose they will have updates after the race starts if you want to check.  Will finish packing tonight for tomorrow nights departure.

• mwevans58 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    192. Apr 16, 2009 7:17 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Good luck, K.S.!  Have a great time.

Jul 13, 2008
    193. Apr 17, 2009 2:05 PM (in response to mwevans58)

I ran a slightly different route today, one which measured out to be 9.48 miles. That is a little bit longer than my normal route, but I am going to run this one, or one like it, on fridays, to get some steeper hills in. I completed my run in 1:18:40. Not bad, and the 60-degree temperature definitely helped warm my muscles and probably gave me a psychological "spring" boost. It's amazing, though: The "steep" hill which I have been planning to doing and looking forward to all winter was not difficult at all, because of the improvement in fitness I have experienced in these nine months I have been running. I could have run it harder, and next time I will. (I ran it just about as slowly as I could). A non-compliant red light forced me onto the concrete sidewalks of Main Street on the way home, after the steepish hill, but with any luck I will get the green light and be able to stay on asphalt back-roads all the way home next time.

I felt strong today and could have run faster had I needed to. The only down side of today's run was that the bezel to my watch abraded a hole in the back of my hand , so I had to turn it around (the watch, that is). A garbage truck turned in and caught me flat-footed so I had to stop and that cost me 20 seconds.

I need to find some longer, steeper hills.

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    194. Apr 17, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Departure? I thought you were already in Bostown, K.S.

Paul

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...