Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21259 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren RSS Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Apr 17, 2009 1:43 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

Friday:   4.5 easy.  Same tomorrow for a 40 mile+ week.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    196. Apr 18, 2009 5:55 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs, I was thinking about what you said several days ago about wanting to reach a certain # of miles on a given day when it may not really be necessary. That is, what's the difference between a couple of miles. That's how I feel this week. I'd like to run 35 this weekI did 3 very slow with my dog today for 28so, tomorrow, 7 would do it. But, 5 would be OK too-it's just a couple of miles short. I won't run long Sunday because my race is next weekend, so I could go 7 tomorrow. But, I know what you mean about wanting to reach a certain daily mileage goal. Since I've been increasing my mileage, I've been more aware of how many miles I should be doing (without risk of injury in the long term) on any given day. It's hard sometimes to cut a run short when I feel like going farther or to just stop when I'm not up for a certain mileage goal.

Before your surgery, were you racing regularly, and are you getting close to your pre-surgery weekly mileage now?

Also, a two mile walk today.

Lauren

Edited a bit by me to clarify

Dec 14, 2007
    197. Apr 18, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra, during the year before my surgery, I had had a hamstring/piriformis/glute/sciatica Idon't know what it was injury that had me hobbled for almost a year.  But before that yes, I was racing regularly, and weekly mileage was 50-60.  FiveK times were 20 minutes and low change, my last one before being hurt was at 6:43 pace, half marathon at 7:11 pace.

I had forgotten how long it has been that I have been on the shelf with the injury and then the heart surgery, when I was at the club a couple of months ago and sitting around after a morning run with my friends.  A woman who was fairly new to the club innocently said to me, "I heard you used to be really fast."  Of course from her perspective all she had ever seen was this old guy running ten minute miles, so I can't blame her, but boy did everyone laugh.

Now at 40 mpw I am not where I was mileage-wise but because I am still growing and improving, there is little point in trying to nail down an "X number of miles per week" because such plans tend not to work and will get you hurt more often than not, especially for someone older like me.  In retrospect I believe that 10% rule with the cutback after 3 weeks is a bad one.  I did something different.  I moved weekly mileage up by 5 miles and kept it at that spot for at least 3 weeks and then kept track of the total time I ran that number of miles.  If I saw the time creeping up, I sensed I was probably fatigued and would adjust it before moving it again.  I think I am very comfortable now at 40 mpw.  (You are referring to last week when I cut my run short and finished the week with 39.4 miles, btw.)

If I could point to one thing that has really helped me through this slow mileage growth, it has been my exercise routine.  Each day after my run I do about a 20-minute dynamic flexibility routine given to me by my physical therapist, and on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I add on a core workout to include 100 ab crunches, some pushups, planks and hamstring exercises with a stability ball.  I am injury-free right now and hope I stay that way.

In the pursuit of miles you refer to, it is hard to get people out of that mindset.  You will notice on the running forums toward the end of the calendar year, people posting that they need to run X miles this week to finish the year with 1,800 miles or some round number.  What is the significance of such a number?  People do bizarre things.  Spareribs

• mwevans58 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008
    198. Apr 18, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Well said, Spareribs.  Alsorunning has to fit into your life.  If I am scheduled to run 10 miles but, because of other famiy things going on, I only have time to get in 6, or even 4, then that's what I do.  I run a marathon about every 3 to 4 months.  As long as I don't miss my long runs every other week and I am able to get in some speed workwhether I run 50 miles or 30 in a particular week doesn't matter a whole lot.  And I'm still able to run them around 3 hours.  I do think, however, that I am able to that because I have put in many miles over the years.  There are some advantages to getting old, after all...

Dec 14, 2007
    202. Apr 18, 2009 9:48 AM (in response to fred-urie)

MW, absolutely agreed. 

Fred, elaborate on what you mean by "smoother biomechanics."  At first this remark could be confusing because a runner doing a lot of miles is bound to be fatigued, and in my experience the killer of "smooth biomechanics" is running when fatigued.  I know my own form crumbles when I am super tired.

Today it was 4.4 and it was pretty slow.  I think my post-run exercise session tired me a bit.  I should be very fresh tomorrow, which is good as that is a long day.  Just stretched lightly today.  Spareribs

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    203. Apr 18, 2009 11:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran my 9.24 miles today. I ran strong and can feel myself getting stronger, even though I am a bit tight from increasing the frequency and variety of my runs. Even after dealing with traffic problems, I came in at 1:19:10, so with an uninhibited run, I would have clocked about a 1:18, which is about normal, but I definitely felt some reserve power, which is steadily growing with time.

One way I can tell this is because at the top of a hill, I recover immediately. Actually, I start recovering and going faster even before I reach the apex: as soon as the pitch levels out some. Also, when I have to sprint across roads to beat cars, my sprints are faster now and my stride is lengthening. I'm not sure every moment of my tempo runs is at the eight-minute pace that I have planned, though. The pace of my last 10K was 7:47, but I know I can out-do that if I run consistent 8 minute miles on my 9.24 and 9.48 tempo runs, respectively.

Fred, I hear what you are saying. I think I'm saving a lot more energy now by being stronger and there-fore more efficient, bio-mechanically. This is most noticeable on hills, corners, when I'm tired and when I have to make quick, evasive maneuvers.

*When I stopped running, today, and stretched out in the parking lot, I first did a yogic "deep obeisance". For the first time in my life, I was able to place my palms flat on the ground. I have been doing yoga since 1980. *

Speedwork tomorrow. Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    205. Apr 19, 2009 10:50 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran fourteen repeats (3 1/2 sets of four) today at the track and really got a good workout, even though I was only running at 8:00 pace. Next week will be sixteen repeats, and I will keep it at that number until I am ready to run 880 yards per-repeat, at which time, I will lower my number to six repeats and work my way back up.

Wind 10-15 mph out of the southeast, shifting to easterly at times. Same pattern predicted for tomorrow at Boston Marathon.

Paul

Dec 31, 2008
    206. Apr 19, 2009 2:34 PM (in response to Imgellin)

In retrospect I believe that 10% rule with the cutback after 3 weeks is a bad one. I did something different. I moved weekly mileage up by 5 miles and kept it at that spot for at least 3 weeks and then kept track of the total time I ran that number of miles. If I saw the time creeping up, I sensed I was probably fatigued and would adjust it before moving it again

An interesting strategy, Spareribs. Earlier this year (and to the present) when I followed the 10 percent rule on the long runs (and sometimes more than the 10 percent), by the end of the third week, I was more than ready to cut back. Later, because of camping trips and other things, I cut back every two weeks, sometimes with a run of very few miles. That was a good adjustment for me. I was taking a rest when I probably needed it, before I felt too fatigued. Then, I felt fresh again for the next long run. Fatigue is something to watch for--I always feel I can run slower, if need be, until I feel better. I know I'm always going to run the next day, and the next. So one bad day or series of bad days mean adjustment or patience to wait it out and then it changes and you feel good again. I remember reading something from someone (don't remember who) who said if you're not having a great run, think about something else, or if you want to, dwell on it for a little while.While you're doing this, you've run a quarter mile, then a half, then a mile, then you feel better, and before you know it, you're done.

Those are good 10K and half-marathon times, SRibs. Well, that woman may say that, but you'll be back. You're already back in many ways. And 10 mm, after surgery and an injury, is just fine. More than fine.

Saturday was a one mile warmup, 5 miles easy, and a cool down mile, for 7 miles on the track. Ended up with 35 after all. I felt good. It was a cool morning and got in the run before an event was held on the track. A young woman I sometimes see on the track and who likes to race me appeared. I ran in the opposite direction, then, to foil any racing.

Today, ran in 96 degrees, low humidy. Ran as slow as possible with a few short (one minute walks). 4 miles under as many oak trees as I could find.

Oh, and thanks Fred for posting Joan Benoit's recent times. She's one speedy lady, and I agree, tough as nails. A good spotting of that kildeer, Paul. I love em, but rarely here them where I live.

It sounds like Boston is going to be mild--at least yesterday NWS said the 60s would be the high. Go KS!

Good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    207. Apr 19, 2009 5:42 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, thanks.  Perfect sense.  Same happens to me.  Get tired, form goes.  Everyone has seen this.  Head hangs forward, you shuffle instead of picking the knees up. Stuff like that.

And Sierra thanks to you too.  You described that perfectly.  Oddly enough, it happened to me today.  We had to go out for a school-related function and didn't get to bed til midnight.  I haven't had a day off in a long time, yesterday's run was tiresome.  I should have seen this coming.  So instead of the LR I had planned, I slogged through 5 and called it a day.  But the trick is to go out.  Start.  Try something.  Then if it doesn't work, go home.

Of course I am not one to gossip, but I just reviewed the photos of a pre-Boston house party and there was a picture of our buddy KS and his wife.  She is gorgeous.  He looks like he is ready to get to the start line!  Go KS!   Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    208. Apr 19, 2009 6:01 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

There is going to be a 25 mph headwind at times at Boston tomorrow, Lauren.

I wanted to ask you what the track surface that you run on is made of. Have you done any sprinting?

Paul

Dec 31, 2008
    209. Apr 20, 2009 5:11 AM (in response to Imgellin)

It's a high school track made of, primarily, rubber--it's fairly soft. The other track is an elementary/middle school dirt track.  Before adding a longer run again into my running week,  I did speed intervals fairly often, always imbedded within a run in the middle or near the end. It was the same when I was racing regularly.  

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...