Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21791 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Apr 20, 2009 10:40 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

KS finished in 3:17.  Good for him to put it out there.  Looking forward to hearing his comments.  Good going KS!   Spareribs

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    211. Apr 20, 2009 11:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran my 9.24 miles today and p.r'd again. I came in at 1:16:40, that is not including a 20-second detention when a pickup truck turned in front of me and I stopped, turned around and walked back to the sidewalk to allow him to continue. No other interruptions. I hope that by May, I can run these three-a-week tempo runs consistently at a time of 1:10. My friday tempo run has a steeper hill and is slightly longer in distance, but I should be able to reel that in to about 1:10 as well.

Paul

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    212. Apr 20, 2009 4:36 PM (in response to Imgellin)

Spareribs, thanks for posting KS' time. I can't post at work but I check periodically throughout the day. And I was checking obsessively. Terrific for KS. I'm also looking forward to hearing his report.

I got on to Universal Sports and watched the end of the women's race, live. What a thriller that was--I thought Goucher would hold on but it must have been difficult with a virtual sprint for the finish and all of them so close. Still, she was leading with a mile left. I read later that she said she felt she had some spring (paraphrasing) with one mile left and that she's a good sprinter. Must have been hard to lose that one. My heart was pounding, watching that. I was rooting for Ryan Hall.

An article commented on how slow the women's race wasbut I didn't think so, at least not overall. The first mile was slow: 6:30that surprised me. Though, I think the strategy for some elite woman runners might have been: conserve in the beginning and wait for someone to make a move. Then, surge to the end. I saw Joan Benoit at the finish with Goucher. That was moving.

Sounds like a good run, Paul.

Dec 14, 2007
    213. Apr 20, 2009 5:19 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Sierra, imagine you are that pack of African men and women, and you "know" you are going to win.  The women allowed the tall American to lead and drafted after her.   You could see how smoothly the winner was running.  Poor Kara, and into a headwind too.  But she is new at this distance.  I thought the Americans were valiant and put it out there.  Good for them!  We have a lot to be proud of, two 3rd place finishes in each sex, way better than we have done in ages.  But oh how my heart went out to them both.  This performance was very encouraging for American marathoners.  I loved watching the race today.

SimonR, more on our recent topic, a Lydiard observation from Letsrun, a poster named Nobby.  Fred, you know him:

"When Lydiard first came to the US, most people were interval-trained. He told them that his runners did 100 miles a week of training. Some people tried it but, because they weren't as well-conditioned as his runners, did it slow (just to survive). They figured running this slow would not make you a fast competitor. So Lydiard training is no good. For decades, Lydiard had to fight against such thinking by telling them also that "Snell and Davies did 20X400 in 60 seconds or faster. How much speed to you need?"

Marathon conditioning, or aerobic base building phase, is merely prerequisit to more exacting training phases. Because his runners were so much stronger than others from all the miles that they ran, they could do much more faster or more race specific training than other runners. This is the whole principles of the Lydiard program that has been applied to other sports like rugby or kayaking--those who have developed their stamina can do more competition-specific training than others. While others might practice "passing of the rugby ball while running as fast as you can" 20 times, if you developed adequate stamina, you do that 40 times."

Fred made this same point the other day when I asked him about mechanics.

Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    218. Apr 21, 2009 10:04 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I ran my 1-mile recovery run today and did dumbells and yoga. Bike ride in an hour.

Fred, what's up with that crazy schedule you posted? Did you just get your days mixed up? What's up with that?

S.R: What happened to the Mexican runners? Did Lydiard take notes on the effects of dehydration? Let me know how that turned out.

Paul

Dec 14, 2007
    219. Apr 21, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Paul, what happened was that they ran back to town okay (it was 30K or about 18.6 miles, not 20 miles and it was early morning, not 110 degrees) And after this lesson they never asked to get back on the bus again.

11 miles on the track, with 4 x 800 and 1 x 400 in the middle, 200 meter recoveries.   Spareribs

Jul 13, 2008
    220. Apr 21, 2009 1:25 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I'm glad that story has a happy ending, S.R. You can't blame me for asking.

Paul

Jul 13, 2008
    221. Apr 21, 2009 1:55 PM (in response to Imgellin)

I got my cross-training in today, a six-mile road ride on my mountain bike. It was raining a bit, but it was actually nice to be out in a warm rain.* *

My May race ( a 10K) is going to be out in the Berkshire Mountains at an elevation of 1,200 ft. That'll be the first race with any elevation for me. Here's a snippet of Dalton, MA, from wikipedia:* *

Much of the rest of town is dominated by the Berkshire Mountains,

with the north being on a plain between the peaks of North and

Western Mountains, covered by the Dalton Wildlife Management Area.

The south is dominated by Tully Mountain, whose peak is just over the

Hinsdale line. The Appalachian Trail winds through town, passing between

Tully and North Mountains through the downtown area.

I'm looking forward to it.* *Paul

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    222. Apr 22, 2009 10:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good afternoon friends.  Still in Boston.  Paul, I switched phones and have lost your number.  I'm going to ask you to email me again at ksrunr at hotmail dot com by noon Thurs.  Maybe we can get together Wed eve or Thurs eve for dinner if you have time.

It was colder at the start area than in Boston proper.   Lined up in 4th coral and felt good.   First mile in 7:00 and then avg. 6:52 for first 10k so I was on track but it was taking way too much effort for the pace.  At mile 12 I heard the Wellesley (sp?) crowd and all the way thru mile 14.  The guy next to me said this will be your fastest mile.  I got no boost at all and still could hear them a mile 14.   It was almost too intense passing thru them.   1:31 at the half but tried to pick it up for negative split but just didn't have it.   Don't know why.   I wasn't nervous going into the race, during the race, or even dissappointed after the race.  All that is odd for me.  I'm not proud of my 3:18 but not embarrassed either.  I did finish it and if dw qualifies I'll come back next year and run a different race.

No excuses.   Temps were great the whole race and the wind seemed to start for me about mile 9.  The longer we ran it seemed the higher the intensity of the wind.   Hills are not any worse than I train on 2-3 times a week so they weren't really a problem.   My only thought is that I might need to run "my" hills with more intensity.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'll be offline after tomorrow noon until Saturday.

Yes Ribz, my wife is gorgeous; in more ways than one! 

Jul 13, 2008
    223. Apr 22, 2009 1:08 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Hi K.S! Welcome back to the land of mortals!;) Listening to you talk about your Boston Marathon experience reminds me of how much we, as runners, are subject to the changes and extremes of nature (unless you live in Hawaii). Have you ever run as long with a headwind, before?

I ran my 13.16-mile long run today and did just fine. Not meaning to, I came in a few minutes earlier than last week. I left at 11:00 a.m. and came in at 1:03:45. Everything was fine. The weather was beautiful and I had plenty of energy. I brought two 20 oz bottles of water, but only drank about 10 oz (at mile 10). 53 degrees and mostly cloudy. Recovery day tomorrow.

Paul

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    224. Apr 22, 2009 1:17 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Congratulations, KSrunr, on a fine performance in Boston! 

Thanks, Ribs, for amplifying the point regarding Lydiard. I have read a lot of nobby's posts over at RA. Most of the time I get his point; sometimes not!

Fred, I have spent a lot of time over the last year or so reading articles on the "Science of Sport" website, and another based in South Africa. I grew up in what is now Zimbabwe, and have found they will occaisionally mention  Zimbabwean runners. Salisbury (now Harare) where I grew up is at  5,000 feet elevation, similar to Denver, but I don't seem to have gained any lasting benefits from living at that altitude until the age of 20! Perhaps the benefits are lost over time....

Simon.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...