Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22415 Views 254 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2009 5:55 AM by SierraLauren Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Apr 22, 2009 4:44 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - April

Congratulations, KS. I wasn't sure in which forum to respond to you, but since I'm here right now this must be the place. You are one of the top runners in these groups and it's fun to hear of some solid results. As long as you had a good time and were happy with your efforts, then all is well!

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    226. Apr 23, 2009 4:23 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Congratulations KS. I know it wasn't exactly the race you had haped but it sounds like you enjoyed it. The feeling that you had in the beginning is interesting that you weren't nervous then or in the race itself. It sounds like you felt that was a factor, somehow, in the overall race, because that was atypical for you. That's also interesting about the crowds at the college on route. I've read some who felt that was a boost but I can see how it could be kind of overwhelming too.  The wind did get stronger as the race went on  Thanks Fred for that report. The women's race was slow.  The first story on Yahoo that I read about that race seemed critical of the women, so I was a little overprotective of my gender in saying they weren't slow  

A good 13 mile run, Paul. 

I'm off for Big Sur today after work. I'll camp up there for a couple of days ahead of the shorter race I'm in (9 miles) on Sunday. The weather looks good--cool, and no rain. This is a down time week, so I've only run on Sunday (4), Tuesday (4.6), today will be 3 or 4, tomorrow a long walk or light run, and Saturday off. I'm hoping to feel fresh at the start. I'm looking forward to cheering my work mates on in the marathon (and everyone else) at the fnish line.

Take care all.

• Imgellin Legend 512 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    227. Apr 23, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to SierraLauren)

Wow, sounds like a great trip and a great race, Lauren. Can you post a picture when you come back?

Paul

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    230. Apr 25, 2009 10:05 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi all.  Well, I'm back to the grind again.   Had a great time in Boston.    Got to tour a lot of historical sites and that's what we went to do other than a little race up there.   Got to see Joan B. run her 5k in about 17:50.  She was 4th woman.   At the end she spent a lot of time in the tent.  I thought it was a bit sad when she came out as no one recognized her except me.

Today ran a local 10k race in 41:46.  Temps at 80 degrees and equal humidity.  18 mph winds.   Legs burned every step.  Very happy with my time considering. 

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    231. Apr 25, 2009 12:37 PM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, I hope you don't rue the decision to run a tenK five days after Boston at 6:45 miles.  No one listens to me here.

Speaking of no one listening, I signed up for a race today and when I showed up they asked me to work the finish line instead, as they were short of help.  It's my club and I couldn't say no, so I put a t-shirt on over my singlet and bib and screamed "men on the right, women on the left, lose those headphones, let's see that number..." and all the other standard chute nazi stuff you have to do.  I'm loud, and that is what is required at the end of the race when runners are in a different zone.

I haven't run since thursday morning.  Left for Chicago after my run and then after dinner with the client, I worked from 8 pm until 6 am Friday shooting a training video in a supermarket, so I never slept at all.  We had to work while it was closed.  At 6:30 I got a cab to O'Hare, got home at 11, napped 2 hours then had to work packet pickup for today's race.  Slept okay last night, but up at 6 for the race that I didn't run.

Hope to race or run long tomorrow.  Gotta do something!   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    232. Apr 25, 2009 1:37 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribz - I hear ya if I don't listen to ya.   Ran it for 3 reasons.  1)   Several friends running it that don't usually; so social.  2)  Partly for discipline for running so poorly at a little race last Monday.  and 3) to see if I could force myself to run hard even though my body said don't.  I couldn't a few days ago.  Today I could.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    233. Apr 25, 2009 1:52 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hullo folks!

I'm still kicking around and starting to run again.  My legs really appreciated the lengthy break, and my right sciatic nerve seems to have improved substantially.  I still have some pain in my left hip...right at the back where the hamstring muscle comes up over the hip bone.  It's been bothersome for almost two years, but as long as I can run without pain I'm happy.

Both legs are very tight...particularly the right hamstring.  I used to be able to bend forwards with feet spread to shoulder width and place my palms on the ground.   I can hardly put my finger tips on the ground right now.  Each day I've been doing a combination of about 30 min of stretching and 30 min of walking.  After two weeks like this I went out and ran for 20 min yesterday and for 25 min today.  I've had a lot of false starts over the past two months where i felt really uncomfortable running.  The right foot seemed to be slamming on the ground and twisting outwards about 10 degrees just before impact with a definite click in my knee joint with every step.  Today it was almost normal, and it actually felt good to be running, so perhaps I'm good to go again.  We'll see.  I won't push it hard like Mr Ribs cause I don't have a great washing machine pump in my chest.  HR is running about 20 beats higher than normal, which suggests my stroke volume has decreased quite a bit.

Anyway, it feels good to be back running and posting again.  Time will tell if this is the start of rehab or just another flase start.  

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    234. Apr 26, 2009 3:31 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Jacques, it sounds like progress to me-the knee click you describe cannot be good! I am no more flexible than you- fingertips only.

KSrunr, it seems strange about Joan B, at least in a running environment. I mean if you saw her or Salazar or someone at a restaurant, out of context as it were, then I could understand it. I wonder if she might not like it better that way, though, must be a nuisance being a celebrity.

Ran a half marathon today on a hilly out-and-back course. Rained quite a bit and cold so was happy to get it over with, official chip time 1:43:25, though the finish line clock said 1:41:30 as I ran underneath it!  My son also ran, but has not trained at all due to university studies; I waited at the finish for him and was pretty cold and stiff by the time he came in. Went for coffee afterwards and enjoyed sharing the experience with him.

Aug 14, 2007
    235. Apr 27, 2009 4:55 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Simon - Nice half

Sierra - how was your big Sur weekend

Welcome back Tigger

5.75 miles fairly ez this morning.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    236. Apr 29, 2009 6:15 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Hi allI had a great time at the Big Sur marathon-what an experience! On the 9 mile run, two bands (a Samba and an orchestra) played at the two mile point going out and the eight mile (mile 25 of the marathon). It was overcast and cold (perfect running weather). The course was a fairly hilly one, more hilly than I thought it would be. The hills weren't a problem, though, as I often run on them.

I began the run without my co-workerswe left our campsite separately so we lost track of one another at the start of the race. I started out at a 8:30-9 minute pace the first mile than backed off because I felt I should be going out more slowly. The race had many walkers so at one point when we were running along a gorgeous cliff side, the runners had to slow down for the walkers on a narrow path. My work mates caught up with me at about the one mile point and we ran together the rest of the race. I think I would have been better off running alone because I would have just focused on the race. My work mates, both women in their late 20s, weren't into racing the eventit was more of a social pact to stay together for one another. We talked at intervals througout the race, and at one point, I turned to my work friend and said, "you're talking, we're all talking, we have a lot left." I could kick myself for not just increasing the pace, regardless of whether my friends could follow (they could have been holding back for me). We did pick up the pace after the turnaround point to a sub 8; then there was one last big hill, and then we kicked it in to the finish. My time was 1:23:16, so a 9:16 pace (our time, we all finished together). I didn't run an anaerobic pace for long in this race (the talking was a big clue there), so I know my time could have been faster. We ran two and a half miles after the race! (going up and down the course to watch for our marathon co-workers, who came in in 4:30 and 4:45. So, I had a lot leftover.

It turned out that in men and women 40 and above (or the Big Sur master's category), I came in 7th or 8th. I was third among women 50 and older, and first among the 53 year olds, men or women (my real name begins with an L"Lauren" is a favorite, adopted name of mine). What was interesting was that my husband, who looked up the race results while I was driving home, was excited (though my place and time were only modest). He felt I may have been holding back (I've never seen this competitive side of him). Before this race, running was an intangible for him. But, once he saw the numbers in the race results (all of the times of the top finishers in all of the races), it make running real for him. I felt that I could have improved my time by several minutes or more. But, it didn't happen this timebottom line. I still felt good about it, considering the hilly terrain. A great thing about the finish was that the 9 miler ended at the marathon finish (and we came in before the first marathon finisher). So there was a huge anticipatory crowd at the end---what an incredible rush that was to run into that crowd. I'm looking forward to the next race.

I'll post pictures later on.

Edited to clarify and correction: In the 9 mile race, for women 40 plus (masters), I came in 9th. For both men and women over 40, I came in, I think, 12th or 13th.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    237. Apr 27, 2009 7:29 AM (in response to fred-urie)

There is a very steep hill out at work, so yesterday I ran the hill 4 times.  Downhill is tough on the hip & knee, but uphill felt good.  I think I'll try the hill again today, but maybe go 5 times rather than 4 and walk the downhill.

• alexbelisle Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009
    239. Apr 28, 2009 5:51 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hi Ribs,

It seems you guys are more into the deeper stuff re:running over here. Read your excerpt concerning Lydiard and I agree wholeheartedly. LSD for years was read as Long Slow Distance when LSD should have been read as Long Steady Distance. I've always been a believer into strength/endurance trumping intervals/speed.. And when one is genetically gifted and have both - wow! When I was younger, I was exposed to older guys who ran long but hard. Left a lasting impression.

Alex

"Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral."

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...