Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2047 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2009 5:11 PM by pekingman RSS
pekingman Rookie 3 posts since
Apr 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2009 3:11 PM

Improving Pace

How do I improve my 10K pace?

I have been running for about 2 years but did my first race this year with the goal of doing a race every month (so far so good).

Race 1 - 10K pace 9:07/m

Race 2 - 8Mile pace 8:24/m

Race 3- 10K pace 8:35/m

Race 4- 10K pace 8:27/m

My next 10K is about a month a way, and I really want to get under 50 minutes, which would require about an 8 minute pace. My training is 3 miles 3 times during the week (treadmill) and 1 long run on the weekend (8-12 miles).

Any suggestions on how I can hit the 8 minute pace in my next 10K?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,387 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Apr 5, 2009 3:41 PM (in response to pekingman)
    Re: Improving Pace

Honestly, you probably won't take that much time off in only one month. Start doing intervals once a week, either 800s in about 3:55 or 400s in 1:55, or some combination of the two. They are best done on a track, with slow recovery after each of the same length of time. Start with 4 to 6 and add a couple each week to a maximum of 10 to 14.

Strides done at the end of an easy day can also help. These are pickups of 50 to 100 meters, quick but not a sprint, focusing on form and turnover. Do 6 to 10 with an equal length recovery after each.

Len

Len

• kevpugh Pro 72 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    2. Apr 9, 2009 5:01 PM (in response to pekingman)
    Re: Improving Pace

Good advice from Len. I agree that it's a big expectation to cut off about 30-seconds per mile in just a month. It's possible, but pretty aggressive, and it won't leave you in peak form for the race anyway. While threshold running will certainly be valuable in your training, I'd also suggest you consider extending your distance a bit during a long run 1x/week. Long, slow running (and I mean slow...like 11min/mile for you) will improve your "running economy", which has great benefits for shorter, faster races too. Good luck!

:: Kevin, from PuggerRunner.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...