Skip navigation

4906 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2009 7:34 AM by siriusarts RSS 1 2 Previous Next
siriusarts Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2009 7:06 AM

Nutrition for Vegetarian Marathoners

Hi. I have gone back to a mostly vegetarian diet, eating lots of fruit, vegetables, legumes, sprouted breads, whole grains, and some (but not all) fish and dairy (kefir, milk & eggs) a few times a week. Does anyone know of any good books on vegetarian nutrition for athletes? I've run marathons, 5ks and 10milers and have felt really strong and steady with a high protein/lower carb diet. Now, I feel completely off and have not been able to balance my nutrition yet for my usual performance in 5k races and long distance runs, plus I have gained weight from going vegetarian - not muscle mass!! I am running the MCM again this fall and want to keep a strong steady pace as in past. Any help will be welcome! Thanks.

(Sorry if you see this as duplicate in Active.com, I am new to this stuff.)

"...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." ~ Hebrews 12:1
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    1. Apr 8, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to siriusarts)
    Re: Nutrition for Vegetarian Marathoners

I'm not exclusively vegetarian although I rarely eat meat. I hope you get a good answer to this question because it would be valuable to me as well. One thing that I've found that I really like is quinoa. It is a high-protein carb source that also has all the essential amino acids and is gluten-free. I've found it both in a couscous type form (I use it to make tabbouleh) and also in pasta form. I've found it both at my local grocery store and at organic/health food stores. I just wanted to mention it in case you're not familiar with it.

How are your iron levels? Vegetarianism plus foot strike hemolysis (breaking down of red blood cells as your foot repeatedly hits the pavement) may contribute to low energy due to difficulty with oxygen transport. 

Also should mention one of our faculty members is a vegan marathon and runs Boston regularly. So it can be done, although I personally have no idea how to do it. Sorry I can't be or more help!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• andrewblur Legend 530 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    2. Apr 8, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to siriusarts)

I have a dynamite recipe for a recovery protein shake that tastes just like an Orange Julius and has silken tofu, protein powder, and egg beaters, banana (opt.) among other things. I swear by it after long runs and also for maintaining energy levels during periods of stress (holidays, Uncle George showing up unannounced, etc. ). I'll put it up as soon as I get home if anybody's interested.

To live a life of safety and complacency is to live without passion or purpose.

Wenn Sie es oben haben, erhalten Sie es aufrecht !

Aug 15, 2007
    3. Apr 8, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to andrewblur)

andrewblur wrote:

I have a dynamite recipe for a recovery protein shake that tastes just like an Orange Julius and has silken tofu, protein powder, and egg beaters, banana (opt.) among other things. I swear by it after long runs and also for maintaining energy levels during periods of stress (holidays, Uncle George showing up unannounced, etc. ). I'll put it up as soon as I get home if anybody's interested.

Me! Thank you!

My recovery shake is:

-Soy milk (regular milk will work, too)

-Scoop of soy protein powder (non-soy will work, too)

-1 frozen banana (non-frozen works, but when its frozen you don't need to dilute the shake with ice)

-1 big tablespoon of natural almond butter (natural peanut butter works, too)

Blend and enjoy. It's pretty frigg'n awesome.

My Blog | i2P

Nov 1, 2007
    6. Apr 8, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Thanks ,Kat for the great recipe. Can't wait to try it ! And thank you siriusarts for the info on the book. I'll track it down. always looking for new ideas !

I'll get that recipe up tonight !

Nov 1, 2007
    7. Apr 8, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to siriusarts)

Here we go. Sorry for the delay.

3/4 cup orange juice

3/4 cup milk or soy milk

1/4 cup "Splenda" granular ( I'm a diabetic)

1/4 cup "Egg Beaters"

3/4  teaspoon vanilla

1 scoop soy protein powder

2 or three tablespoons of silken tofu

1 banana (opt.) frozen --- Thanks Kat.    

4 or 5 ice cubes if done right away

Place all ingrediaents except for ice cubes in blender and pulse to blend.  Add ice and blend ice until crushed. 

Makes approximately 2 ten ounce glasses or 3 six ounce glasses. 

Enjoy my friends.

• HanHail Legend 219 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    8. Apr 9, 2009 1:28 PM (in response to siriusarts)

Aha, finally a discussion on vegetarian diet - my favorite topic!

I've been a vegetarian pretty much all my life (39 years). It never occurred to me that I would be lacking any nutrition until I started serious running.

Sorry I don't know any books on vegetarian diet for athletes. However as you can see, most of a runner's diet is about high carbs, which is somewhat easy for a vegetarian to consume - with the grains, fruits & veggies.

Like Kat said, it seems the biggest item to watch for is iron. I do take vitamin supplements on days I run hard, but otherwise, I leave it to my consumption of leafy veggies, beet and bitter gourd (not sure if there's any food item in America with the last one - it's an excellent source of iron, but it has an acquired taste). You gained weight from becoming a vegetarian? Don't you worry - it's the carbs - it'll actually help you for the race and that weight will come right off as you start training seriously.

Protein might be another thing to watch out for herbivores - but since you consume dairy, that shouldn't be a big deal (You have kefir? How did you get into it and where did you get the culture from? My wife used to make it at home, but lost the culture once we moved).

A major vitamin that vegetarians apparently have no or very limited sources is vitamin B12.  My father is suffering from the lack of it at 76 and it causes memory loss, which is driving him nuts right now.

Aug 15, 2007
    9. Apr 9, 2009 1:38 PM (in response to HanHail)

Kefir has started popping up a lot at grocery stores, they even carry it at my local non-specialty grocery store. Yummy

I'm very in awe of your ability to run 70 miles per week on a vegetarian diet. I run up to 40/week but by then my healthy food turns into a lot of pizza and potatoes with butter    Mmmmm pizza. I have 20 coming up on Saturday!

My Blog | i2P

• HanHail Legend 219 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    10. Apr 9, 2009 10:05 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    DCtoPgh wrote:

Kefir has started popping up a lot at grocery stores, they even carry it at my local non-specialty grocery store. Yummy

Ah, I forgot, Kefir had started to make its way into the organic stores since a couple of years ago when I was there. It's actually a pretty catchy hobby to make it at home though - the culture (looks almost like cauliflower petals) keeps growing over time - sometimes so much that you have to throw some of it away. Also, it works best with unpasteurized milk, which may not be easy to get in US, unless you live close to Lee. (Lee, Lee, where are you Lee?)

I'm very in awe of your ability to run 70 miles per week on a vegetarian diet. I run up to 40/week but by then my healthy food turns into a lot of pizza and potatoes with butter    Mmmmm pizza. I have 20 coming up on Saturday!

OK, one clarification: I am only a vegetarian, and not a "healthy" one at that. You been to Indian restaurants? Well, we don't make food that greasy at home, but it's awfully close.

(And I wish I got some help from the weather, not my diet, for running... freaking 85F and 90% humidity at 5AM  )

Good luck with your 20 Saturday! Have a Pizza afterwards!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    11. Apr 10, 2009 3:10 AM (in response to HanHail)

All this talk of Indian food has me starving.  I could use a huge bowl of curry with some nan bread right about now.  If that is not available, I'll take some of Kat's leftover pizza.

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

Nov 1, 2007
    13. Apr 10, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to siriusarts)

Kefir is in the "organic" section of every grocery store around here. I love it !

Do cheese curls count as veggie?

Hey Kat ! Where's the best pizza in Pittsburgh? I make it a point to sample the local cuisine. Any Thai restaurants?

Aug 15, 2007
    14. Apr 10, 2009 2:59 PM (in response to andrewblur)

Pizza.... so there is a road called Murray Ave in the Squirrel Hill section of the city and there are a few pizza places. People debate on which one is best and people are passionate about their favorites (if you remember someone once hopped on here with the name BrianLovesMineos?) I know people who have done "bar crawl"-type pizza tastings, grabbing a slice at each place. Good news is they're all within a few blocks so it's easy to enjoy them all

My Blog | i2P

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points