Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1536 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2004 7:14 AM by tktmist RSS
tktmist Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 25, 2004 5:17 AM

10 k - bad advice?

I just read the article on this board giving training advice for a 10k. They said your longest training run should be 5 miles.

Shouldn't you be running AT LEAST 6.2 miles once a week before you race it?

• BWelnak4 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 26, 2004 2:01 PM (in response to tktmist)
    Re: 10 k - bad advice?

Not necessarily.  

As my posts have a common theme, Ill continue with that....It comes down to what works for each individual. 

It depends on the goal.  If the goal is just to do it and not necessarily worry about the time, then running the 6.2 isnt necessary.  Someone in good enough shape to run 5 somewhat regularly would have no prob. running the extra 1.2

Now, its a different story if a person is running the race to beat times and actually compete with himself/herself or someone else.  In that situation, I would recommend running distances longer than what the race actually is. 

Now having said that....I think that in the former situation, we are talking about someone who may be just beginning or isnt all that serious.  In that case they may need some more assistance.

In the latter, chances are that they know a little more of how their body acts.

So, to answer your question... its not necessarily bad advice, it just depends on the situation.

• BWelnak4 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Nov 26, 2004 2:06 PM (in response to tktmist)
    Re: 10 k - bad advice?

I also would like to add to that...

I improved my marathon time from my 1st of 3:49 in Oct of 2003 to my second of 3:29 in May 2004  by running distances of no longer than 15 miles.  I work better by increasing/decreasing intensities....however, for next summers races, as I continue to advance, I intend to include some runs around 25, in addition to the shorter, intense 10 milers.  Goal for next year is 3:10!!!

Any thoughts?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...