Skip navigation

2019 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2009 3:53 PM by BillyOck RSS
nicole_palatinus@hotmail.com Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 6, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2009 9:33 AM

Wetsuit removal at Wildflower

I'm signed up and excited about my first triathlon...the Wildflower Olympic distance, it is in less than two weeks!

My question is this: Do you have to be within the transition area before you remove your wetsuit

A friend suggested that I remove my wetsuit as soon as I get out of the

water because it is easier to remove when it (and your body) is wet.  I have volunteered at Wildflower before, and I know that the entrance/exit to the swim is quite narrow.  My concern is that there isn't enough room to be out of the way of other participants when I come out of the swim, but I would like to eliminate any possible frustrations during the race (ie, having trouble removing my wetsuit).

Suggestions?

Thank you!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Re: Wetsuit removal at Wildflower

No you don't have to be in transition to start removing your suit. but what I do is only start remvoing it in the water i.e. unzip it and roll down the top half as I'm running out of the water then peel off the rest when I get to my bike. practice will also help you out too. good luck and have fun!

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• honguito Pro 135 posts since
    Dec 24, 2007
    2. Apr 22, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

I understand that this is the way it has to be, according to the rules.

You must not take off your full wetsuit coming out of the water, imagine if all participantes did that !!!!

You may roll it down the top half, run to the transition area and take it off completely there.

Good luck at Wildlfower !

• KED1976 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 22, 2008

I wouldn't recommend taking your wetsuit off in the water.  While it may be easier to get it off, you will definitely get in the way and not make too many friends in the process!  I usually use body glide around my ankles and wrists both on the skin, as well as on the suit which helps it to slide off more easily.

Good luck at Wildflower! 

• BillyOck Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007

What has worked for me before is pulling the top down as a move to the transition area.   Once there I have a sports bottle with water to rinse my feet, but also to wet the legs of the suit so they slide off.  As I'm typing I thought of another idea that might work: Use the lube that we use to cram our feet into a wakeboard binding.  A little bottle of that would have it slide right off.  I haven't tried it, but I bet it would work.  For what it's work I think you risk getting in someone's way if you strip your suit off anywhere on the route to T1.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points