NEED HELP?|

4943 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2009 5:55 PM by honguito
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2009 9:27 PM

running shoes without socks

Dear friends !

I usually use socks whenever I run. To be able to cut a couple of seconds during transition I would like to start running without socks. Are there any special kind of running shoes because with the ones I have my toes get sore.

Thanks for your help.

Gunter

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 27, 2009 6:48 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: running shoes without socks

just be careful some shoes have stitches on the inside that can scratch up your feet. try yours out and see definitely try this practice before race day

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• FurnaceM3 Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 31, 2008
    2. Apr 27, 2009 9:04 AM (in response to honguito)

There are some Zoot Ultra Tempo 2.0 shoes that may fit the bill.

• gbirch Pro 92 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    3. Jun 9, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to honguito)

I've run up to a 10K without socks (and a marathon with socks) in my Saucony Progrid Guides. No blisters, no bloody toes. Of course, these shoes fit my feet like socks. I bought a pair on a Friday and PR'd at a 5K on Sunday. I don't wear socks with the bike shoes either during the races.

Oh, and speed laces rock!

8-)

• Anna Federspiel Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    4. Jun 29, 2009 10:31 AM (in response to honguito)

I never wear socks on the bike leg, and I don't wear socks on the run for sprint and olympic distnace races- it does cut down on your transition times. I currently run in Newtons and put baby powder in my shoes (helps with the ease of putting them on and the powder absorbs the sweat and prevents blisters). Otherwise, if you are prone to blisters- determine where your hot spots are and put some Vaseline in those spots (not a lot, or your feet will be sliding around!) but for example- where the seams are, or by your toes, etc- it works! As always, try these things out in training first. Happy training

• triman217 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2007
    5. Jun 30, 2009 2:47 PM (in response to honguito)

I have used the Zoots without socks and work very well, actually the company markets them as specially  designed to be worn without socks.

good luck:p

• Henry Deutsch Rookie 2 posts since
    May 20, 2009
    6. Jul 3, 2009 5:58 PM (in response to honguito)

It took a while but now I do not use socks for running or bicycling.  My shoes are of good quality and feel fine.  I do use a type of foot lotion before which smooths out the friction.  The shoes are well broken in and have a very smooth inside surface.

Try it out and it won't be seconds less it will be major minutes.  Try putting socks on wet feet!

Keep on TRI'ing a TRI.

Hank Deutsch

• pleida Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 8, 2008
    7. Jul 5, 2009 6:22 PM (in response to honguito)

I ran without socks in my Asics (a couple different pairs) for over 6 months including 2 marathons and numerous long runs. I never had any blisters until a rainy marathon and got used to the feeling. Since I've gone back to wearing socks, it's actually kind of weird. The only reason I went back to socks was the smell factor (sorry if that's tmi for some). Anyway, I started by putting some body glide or vaseline on my feet during long runs, which I do with socks as well. I think it helps.

Best of luck,

Pete

• CraigMcGray Pro 55 posts since
    Apr 16, 2009
    8. Jul 31, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to honguito)

I have a pair of Zoot Tempo shoes I race in for anything up to 10K. I never wear socks with them and have been fine. For longer runs I have never even tried to wear them. I just feel better with socks for longer runs. That's my 2 cents.

-------------------------------------

My Triathlon Training Blog

My Triathlon Training Blog

• Silky__4 Expert 34 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    9. Aug 12, 2009 3:01 PM (in response to CraigMcGray)

Just curious - Can you wash those running shoes after a few races?  I am wearing socks but it makes sense to go without them...

Park City Condo Rentals

Park City Utah Vacation Condo Rentals

PC poster.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...