Skip navigation

2618 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2009 8:52 PM by IronMakeover RSS
honguito Pro 135 posts since
Dec 24, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2009 9:42 PM

Ironman and women

Dear friends !

I have always wondered why our long distance events (1/2 Ironman and Ironman) are called like that. Thousands of women have shown all around the world that they are well able to do Iron(wo)men just as good as men can.

So why do we still call it IronMAN and not, p. e., Iron(WO)MAN ? Why do female triathletes not stand up and demand a change of this word ?

Any suggestiones  ?

Regards

Gunter

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    1. Apr 25, 2009 4:39 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: Ironman and women

Ironman is a trade mark that is recognized around the world and my guess is very profitable.  Why change it? 

I have to disagree with the statement that women are just as good as men.  To support this point, please tell me the last time a woman won any of the Iroman events?

My suggestion would be to start your own race circuit, call it Ironwoman and see how it goes.

• actuary530 Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 19, 2008
    3. Apr 26, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to honguito)

Who gives a ****? Just race and have a good time.  Perhaps sweat your chip on your shoulder away and just recognize everyone out there is working it, had to work hard, regardless if they are a minority or not.   In any case, regardless of your dna and chromosomes which you have no control of, as a triathlete you can command respect.

• Brennn Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    4. Apr 26, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to honguito)

Just like Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are great organizations that enrich the lives of many, so can Ironman and Irongirl events. I personally like to have the coed experience. There are events just for women, if that's what you like...have at it.

• tim.bartleman@gmail.com Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    5. Apr 26, 2009 12:36 PM (in response to Brennn)

The word man doesn't always refer to a person's gender so I am not sure why some people get all worked up about this type of thing.

Also, women aren't better or worse then man, they are just different. Discussions like this are always more about ego than gender equity and yes, women get bruised egos, too.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    6. Apr 27, 2009 8:52 PM (in response to honguito)

Ironman began in 1978 when Naval Commander John Collins held a contest in Hawaii to see who was the most fit athlete-runner, cyclist or swimmer. The winner would be an Iron Man (the term Ironman was originally two words.) Collins gave interested participants explaining his inaugural event and its course. The page included these hand-written words:

"Swim 2.4 miles!

Bike 112 miles!

Run 26.2 miles!

Brag the rest of your life!"

You can read more about Ironman and its history at http://ironman.com/mediacenter/history/ironman-triathlon-world-championship

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...