Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1797 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2009 7:03 PM by crl8686
rlowe82 Amateur 7 posts since
Jan 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 28, 2009 7:07 AM

Ran Fine For 5 Months...  Now Sore Every Time!  Help!

Hi everyone--

I need some advice and/or help!  Recently, when I complete a run, my legs are really really sore.  I haven't changed anything from my workout; between November (when I started training) and March, I ran without consequences.  What's going on?

For instance, I just did a 5k a few days ago on a treadmill and my hamstrings are so tight, two days later.  I've done 5k's several times before without any problems.  And I haven't changed my stretching workout, either.  I've slightly upped my speed, from say 8 to 8.5, but is that enough? 

So you know, I run three or four times a week, varying from 1.6 miles to 3.1 miles.

Please help!

--richard.

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 28, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to rlowe82)
    Re: Ran Fine For 5 Months... Now Sore Every Time! Help!

First I would make sure that you are hydrated.  Dehydration occurs gradually over time so symptoms may not show up at first.

If you are sure that you are hydrated try taking a Calcium/Magnesium Citrate supplement.  Magnesium is a natural relaxor and one of the most deficient minerals in the American diet.  Magnesium citrate is the best absorbed form of that mineral.  You should notice that your soreness is reduced in a few days.  I recommend taking it at night.

Let me know how it goes!

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008

I'm absolutely no nutrition expert but I added Whey Protein a few months ago and that helped me with recovery.  I use 1 1/2 scoops in about 300 ml of water as soon as I come in from my run. That is in addition to lots of water after I stop running before I stretch.  I run, cool down walk drinking 32 oz of water, stretch for about 10 minutes, then drink the whey protein shake (you're supposed to drink within 30 minutes of stopping your workout).

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• zookeeperrunning Legend 229 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008

Richard,

Hi...Maybe it's your shoes! Go to your local running store and invest in a new pair of running shoes. Talk with someone there about what you are experiencing, and see what they suggest. And I agree with the other posts also...hydration is very key for your muscles, along with the proper running shoes!

Good luck, and KEEP ON RUNNING!!:)

Carey

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

I agree that one of the first things- perhaps the first thing - to check is your running shoes. How many miles do you have on them? The general wisdom is that midsole cushioning and support deteriorates significantly after about 300-500 miles. If they're high mileage, then replacing them may solve the problem immediately. Also take a quick look at the rest of your life; in addition to hydration/nutrition, are you getting less sleep than previously? or are you under more stress than before? Any of these things could interfere with recovery after a run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...