Skip navigation

6333 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2011 1:38 PM by MCM Ron 1 2 Previous Next
goindownsouth01 Pro 497 posts since
Feb 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2009 9:18 AM

A sobering note to pass along...

http://www.msmary.edu/

A person I have known for a few years from one of the Runner's World boards was struck and killed while running out on the roads. She was training for the Pittsburgh Marathon, which would have been her first. She was also to run that event with family members. Please keep her and her surviving family in your prayers.

Just another very tragic reminder that we need to be cognisant of what is happening out there, especially those of you who run with headphones.

Be well,

Dan

Reverend for the Church of Phidippides.
Blogging my journey to MCM 2009 and beyond: http://onestrideatatime.blogspot.com

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    1. Apr 29, 2009 9:33 AM (in response to goindownsouth01)
    Re: A sobering note to pass along...

Thanks for sharing and for the reminder.  She sounds like a special person in several ways.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 29, 2009 11:13 AM (in response to Immer treu)

This is very sad.  Between this and Jen's friend getting hit while cycling and the young man at Nashville, I just hate reading about it.  But we all need to be careful out there, even as we mourn.

Len

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    3. Apr 29, 2009 12:44 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I saw that, gds, very sad. The article that says its her fault for running in a lane (no shoulder available) facing traffic is just terrible!

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Apr 29, 2009 1:06 PM (in response to Courir26)

It makes me angry to see a young vibrant life taken like that....

Happy Running!

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    5. Apr 29, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to JerryX)

That is very sad. I can't imagine how the driver of the car must feel.

Last night I was driving down a road with no shoulder and a kid on a bike in dark clothing was riding towards traffic. I almost didn't see him and it really startled me a the last moment. You do have to be careful both as the runner and as a driver.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
  • dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Apr 29, 2009 2:11 PM (in response to FLKaren)

I'm so sorry to read stories like this, people that do the right things getting hit like that.  Awful.  I feel bad for all involved.

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Apr 29, 2009 4:15 PM (in response to goindownsouth01)

Man, that's just terrible news.  I've gotten to the point where I usually don't run outside when I am on the road unless I can find a park nearby.  I actually try to stay in hotels that are near running paths.  When I am at home, I never go out of my neighborhood.  Lucky for me, I have been able to come up with a nice 6.6 mile loop that doesn't cross any major roads.  The way the roads are laid out in these four adjoining subdivisions, I can run either  a 2,4,5, or the maximum 6.6 mile loop. I feel so bad for that young woman's family.  What time of the day did it occur?

Karl

Karl

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    9. Apr 30, 2009 5:36 AM (in response to goindownsouth01)

According to the news station in DC yesterday, she was 1/2 mile from completing her run. The road was a two lane type (one lane for each direction) and she was running against traffic, at least according to the tv reporter. There was little if any shoulder. TV reporter didn't state whether or not the driver was charged. Makes me appreciate even more those drivers that give me a wide bearth when I am running.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    10. Apr 30, 2009 6:33 AM (in response to CWCastelli)

This is terribly tragic.  Poor girl.  But let's not always jump to the conclusion that the driver is some irresponsible clod.  That's a dangerous situation to be in. 

I run asphalt country roads with no dividers, no shoulders, no "lanes," and try to always assume that the driver I hear coming around the next bend in the road is checking his radio, looking in her rearview mirror, or otherwise preoccupied even if for a split second and is not expecting to encounter a runner on their side of the road when they round the corner.  Many times I find myself jumping in the ditch just to be sure I don't get hit.  I place that responsibility on myself.  If I have time and clearance, I always cross to the other side of the road until the car passes, then cross back over to run against traffic.

I don't know what the situation was with this poor young lady, but we all know running on a two-lane, no-shoulder road can be extremely dangerous and we can't assume all drivers are on constant alert for a person running toward them in their lane of traffic and will have time to make evasive maneuvers.  I'm sure the driver is devastated as well as the lady's family.  It's a great reminder for US to be alert and take care of ourselves.

• Courir26 We're Not Worthy 1,968 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    11. Apr 30, 2009 7:42 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I'm sure the driver feels horrible even though he likely didn't do anything wrong either. I just didn't like the AP article on it entitled "Mount St. Mary's student at fault in jogging death". What a terrible title for a girl who died in a tragic accident. The article sounded like it was blaming her for running facing traffic (which is what you're supposed to do) on a road with "no" shoulder (maybe there were no other options or it wasn't really that bad of a road and something that we often find ourselves on for short stretches? Old Emmitsburg Road doesn't sound like a highway based upon the name.)

-

Mount St. Mary's student at fault in jogging death

The Associated Press

EMMITSBURG, Md. - Police say a Mount St. Mary's University student was improperly running in a traffic lane when she was struck and killed by a pickup truck near the campus in Emmitsburg.

Frederick County Sheriff's Lt. Tom Winebrenner said Wednesday that 22-year-old senior Elizabeth DiNunzio was running south in the northbound lane of Old Emmitsburg Road shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday when she was hit by a truck driven by 29-year-old Joshua Cool, of Emmitsburg.

Winebrenner said the road has no shoulder. He said Cool won't be charged.

DiNunzio was an education major from Zelienople (zee-lee-ah-NOH'-pull), Pa., just north of Pittsburgh.

School spokeswoman Linda Sherman said DiNunzio was training for the Pittsburgh marathon.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    12. Apr 30, 2009 8:00 AM (in response to Courir26)

Ooooh, yeah, that really wasn't necessary, was it?  To say she was at fault?  Sounds like the insensitive clod might have been the article's author.  I didn't see that headline.

• Noskillzrunning Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    13. Apr 30, 2009 8:24 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

That is so sad to be that young and have something like that happen. It rips me up to think this was probebly her last training run and she was filled with thoughts of running the marathon for the first time.

I have taken up the practice of running roads the last couple of weeks on my long runs because the trail that I run on has gotten kind of repetitive. I think I'll go back to the boring path as it just isn't worth it.

I'm sure she will still be running this week just on a much prettier course.

Chris

My sport is your sport's punishment

• JerryX Legend 851 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    14. Apr 30, 2009 8:25 AM (in response to Noskillzrunning)

Noskillzrunning wrote:

That is so sad to be that young and have something like that happen. It rips me up to think this was probebly her last training run and she was filled with thoughts of running the marathon for the first time.

I have taken up the practice of running roads the last couple of weeks on my long runs because the trail that I run on has gotten kind of repetitive. I think I'll go back to the boring path as it just isn't worth it.

I'm sure she will still be running this week just on a much prettier course.

Chris

thats a pleasant thought.  I wonder if there will be anyone in kilts on the one she is on.   

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Running!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...